Any schools in New york?...

OP
L

Lobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
arnisador, what style do you recommend for a beginner?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lobo said:
arnisador, what style do you recommend for a beginner?

I think any of them would work well for a beginner. It's pretty easy to get the basic ideas of the FMA, but of course not so easy to perfect them! Modern Arnis is what I practice and it certainly is a fine choice, but I can't think of any that I'd recommend you away from; some are more intricate than others, of course, but you'd pick up any of them. The main thing is to know whether you want mostly empty-hand, sticks, swords, or knives, if you have apreference, because there will be a variation in emphasis. Modern Arnis de-emphasizes the sword in favor of the stick, for example, whereas Dekiti Tirsia Siradas is very sword-oriented; Sayoc Kali has a heavy knife emphasis.

I don'tthink you can really go wrong here. What's important is to get started!

K Williams

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lobo said:
Yeah, I've been to Guro Pierre's site, and i dont know if the school is still there or if it has closed. I tried e-mailing him, but was rejecting because of some failure. I tried calling him, but now he's busy. So I'm gonna see.

The school is still in the same location and open 5 days out of the week. It's closed on Fri ans Sat. You can show up at 5:30pm or later, Mon through Fri. On Sun, you can come by from 12pm to about 2pm. Our website is very old and will be updated in the future. The e-mail address shown on the website is not current. Try [email protected] , or call the school with the phone number shown above.

OP
L

Lobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you very much K Williams.

OP
L

Lobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Another thing, tornaments are held only against certain styles or can any style enter and win a tornament (BTW, wheres the flow when these guys fight?- http://www.geocities.com/kalipages4/xodo2/ (single live stick sparring), http://www.jkdkali.com/movies/tape5-1.avi . I'm looking for something that has flow, good empty hands, and i prefer sticks over swords (cliche), although i am looking forward into messing with butterfly knives.) whats up with the whip in this? - http://sayoc.com/mpegs/sayocvid01.mpg . can you learn how to mess with whips too?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not as many styles use the whip; Sayoc Kali is one that does.

Modern Arnis sounds like a good choice for you, but many other styles would fit your needs just as well. What's sufficiently near to you?

OP
L

Lobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well, mapquest.com says Guro Pierre's school is "17" minutes away, which of course, doesn't sound all that far. Once you put in traffic...I've having my trial class today, at Nubreed, which takes 35 minutes to get too. Its the closest.

OP
L

Lobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I also haven't found any modern arnis schools in the Manhattan-Queens area (new york city). It amazes me that i see everything BUT modern arnis/FMA.

K Williams

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lobo said:
I also haven't found any modern arnis schools in the Manhattan-Queens area (new york city). It amazes me that i see everything BUT modern arnis/FMA.

????

OP
L

Lobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Other then Sifu Doug Pierre's school.

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I visited Guro Dougs school once, very nice guy,and seemed to be very knowledgable as well , in addition to being the only Modern Arnis in the city. Definitely worth a visit at least.

Latest Discussions