Any schools in New york?...

Lobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Other than those in the "schools" section of this site? I'm interested, I'd like to get a feel of this sport/combat art first. I mean New York City by the way. hehe, sorry, didn't bother to read all 39 pages to see if there any similar thread, i happen to have a life. And thank you!!!

PS. I live in Astoria, and did the Vee Arnis Jitsu school in Steinway close?

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is Guro Doug Pierre's School Modern Arnis Domog, I believe its in the lower east side.

There is also the Modern Fighting Arts Academy in Massapequa on Long Island

kruzada

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We have two instructors that teach in Manhattan.

Guro Wilton Valerio and Guro Alex Gruezo teach Kuntaw Kali Kruzada at Fighthouse www.fighthouse.com on West 27th street.

We are affiliated with IMAFP www.imafp.com and Kali Arnis International www.kaliarnisinternational.com. We teach Modern Arnis as a part of our regular curriculum, along with Lightning Scientific Arnis, Doblete Rapelon, Cinco Terros, Kasilagan and W.E.D.O Combat Arnis.

We will be hosting Senior Master Samuel Bambit Dulay (7th Degree Modern Arnis) for a few seminars this summer. If you would like more information you can contact me at [email protected]

Good luck with your search.

Datu Rich Acosta
Chief Instructor
Kuntaw Kali Kruzada

OP
L

Lobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know, I know, I'm asking for too much, but does anyone happen to know any dojos/schools in Queens?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
modarnis said:
There is Guro Doug Pierre's School Modern Arnis Domog, I believe its in the lower east side.

When I was in NYC for a month I had intended to visit Mr. Pierre's school. Unfortunatily, we were unable to meet up do to time constrains I had and due to him being out of town. However, I will say that the administrative people at his school were very helpful and kind, and would be able to accomidate Mr. Lobo with directions from Queens. Just hop on the train! :)

Paul

OP
L

Lobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
When I was in NYC for a month I had intended to visit Mr. Pierre's school. Unfortunatily, we were unable to meet up do to time constrains I had and due to him being out of town. However, I will say that the administrative people at his school were very helpful and kind, and would be able to accomidate Mr. Lobo with directions from Queens. Just hop on the train! :)

Paul

hehe, thanks.:) and thank you Sapper.

OP
L

Lobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Arnis has tornaments, right? Will training one style has its advantages over others? DO they differ tremendously? I would like to enter tournaments, and wouldn't like to be at a disadvantage!:uhyeah:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lobo said:

Nothing rings any alarm bells there, and indeed I see much that is encouraging. But, I do not know the instructors.

How much do Arnis styles differ? "Kali", "escrima", its all the same thing, no?

Yes, there are no consistent differences. Kali, eskrima or escrima, arnis, etc., all refer to the same general type of system. In my experience, Kali systems are more likely to have greater blade emphasis and eskrima systems are more likely to have relatively greater stick emphasis, but I could list many, many exceptions.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lobo said:
Arnis has tornaments, right? Will training one style has its advantages over others? DO they differ tremendously? I would like to enter tournaments, and wouldn't like to be at a disadvantage!

Yes, there are stickfighting tournaments. Not all schools train for that though. If this is important to you, choose a school that spars, and probably one that treats the stick as a stick more than as a sword. The Filipino arts do have differences, but all of the stick/blade systems can be used for sparring--if one trains that.

K Williams

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Modern Arnis Domog
Guro Doug Pierre
188 East 3rd. Street(between Ave. A & B) F train to 2nd. Avenue or 6 train to Bleecker Street

Classes are Mon and Wed, 7:00pm to 8:30pm(sometimes runs a bit later...), open school is Sunday afternoon.

Phone: 212-614-3250
E-mail: [email protected]

We compete in WEKAF type tournaments ocassionally...

K Williams

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lobo said:
I know, I know, I'm asking for too much, but does anyone happen to know any dojos/schools in Queens?

Mayo Academy(Doce Pares Eskrima)
Guro Sonny Mayo

Guro Sonny is a Guro under Guro Dong Cuesta. Guro Dong Cuesta has two WEKAF tourneys per year which are held in New Jersey.

OP
L

Lobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Nothing rings any alarm bells there, and indeed I see much that is encouraging. But, I do not know the instructors.

Yes, there are no consistent differences. Kali, eskrima or escrima, arnis, etc., all refer to the same general type of system. In my experience, Kali systems are more likely to have greater blade emphasis and eskrima systems are more likely to have relatively greater stick emphasis, but I could list many, many exceptions.

hmmm, thanks a lot for the info. I noticed Kali emphasized blades a lot more, but at least now im at ease that they're all basically the same type of system. Thanks, and thank you too Williams, I'm going to check out your academy.:ultracool

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As a side note, Guro Doug Pierre was also a former WEKAF World Champion in the mid 1990's. He certainly understands the art of Modern Arnis, along with the competitive aspects of stick fighting

I have to respectfully disagree slightly with Arnisador about how much styles differ. Certainly blade versus stick emphasis varies system to system, and even with respect to different instructors within a system.

There is a large degree of difference in fighting ranges of different systems (Largo, medio, corto). Modern Arnis tends to be a closer range system and places a great deal of emphasis on translation to empty hand self defense. It is a blended system. Of course Professor Presas incorporated aspects of a variety of systems like abanico, crossada, double zero which were often taught as stand alone concepts that were the basis for entire systems. Often these were neighborhood and family systems.

Here in the States, there are far more instructors of blended systems of FMA. There are a few "family" systems left, namely Sayoc Kali and Kali Atienza which retain the concepts and traditions of the family system and its teachings. Of course, with the increasing instruction in these systems to people outside the families, in 5-10 years, those concepts will likely be blended with other systems as students become instructors.

In the end, as Professor was fond of saying, it is all the same. Like a correct answer on an algebra test, the more important part is showing the work that leads you there. That is where the differences become apparant

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I'd agree with everything you said. What I really meant to indicate is that the differences are relatively minor compared to the similarities, and that while those who practice these arts can see differences--I'm certainly having this experience as I work my way through "Master of the Blade" by Rey Galang--a beginner will not be able to see it was well.

As a Modern Arnis person, I am indeed much more comfortable at closer range than at largo, for example, and switching to swordwork does require a slight mental translation for me. I was talking about some of these ideas here and here recently. It can indeed matter whether you are doing a largo or corto system, or a sword or stick system.

OP
L

Lobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
modarnis said:

Yeah, I've been to Guro Pierre's site, and i dont know if the school is still there or if it has closed. I tried e-mailing him, but was rejecting because of some failure. I tried calling him, but now he's busy. So I'm gonna see.

OP
L

Lobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
modarnis said:

Yeah, I've been to Guro Pierre's site, and i dont know if the school is still there or if it has closed. I tried e-mailing him, but was rejecting because of some failure. I tried calling him, but now he's busy. So I'm gonna see.