Any reviews on the S.A. XD-M .40 cal?

toejoe2k

White Belt
Reaction score
Are there any S.A. XD-M .40 cal owners out there? I'd be very interested in knowing if you feel that it's a worth while purchase.
What are the features that you really like?
What problems have you found with it?

I'm considering purchasing one and would like to get other people's perspective.

Many thanks,

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are there any S.A. XD-M .40 cal owners out there? I'd be very interested in knowing if you feel that it's a worth while purchase.
What are the features that you really like?
What problems have you found with it?

I'm considering purchasing one and would like to get other people's perspective.

Many thanks,
http://whatisthemfactor.com/

I've shot the standard XD, and it's a well made gun. I personally won't carry one for one simple fact......the trigger pull, while like the GLOCK i've carried for years, was just different enough to annoy me. But that's a personal preference issue and is more about growing accustom to something a certain way, than any real flaw in the XD.

The XD-M, I understand, has tightened up the trigger pull and shortened it....so it may be even MORE like the GLOCK than the standard XD. While I haven't shot one yet, i'll have to hunt one up and take it to the range. If it's anything like the standard XD (with more bells and whistles) i'm sure it's a quality, well made gun that should last many years and many tens of thousands of rounds. It's got all the makings of an excellent self-defense/duty gun. And they managed to squeeze one extra round in to the magazine for a 16+1 capacity....can't hurt.

Of course if you're looking to buy one, unless you've got some inside connection, i'm betting you'll be waiting on backorder 6 months to a year.....don't be surprised.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't like the XDs I've shot, I personally think they're top-heavy, bulky and have a crappy trigger-pull. For me, there was also noticably more muzzle-flip than I experience with my Glocks. Probably due to the higher bore axis.

I also have not been impressed with what I've seen and heard about their reliability. My boss shoots one that will not feed properly with several types of common training ammo (Fiocci and WWB). I have also been told by several instructors (guys who see more rounds downrange in a year than most of us will ever shoot) that they seldom see an XD .40 or .45 make it through a class without breaking.

Personally, I'd go with either a Glock or a S&W M&P, I'd also go with a 9mm instead of a .40...just my $0.02.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't like the XDs I've shot, I personally think they're top-heavy, bulky and have a crappy trigger-pull. For me, there was also noticably more muzzle-flip than I experience with my Glocks. Probably due to the higher bore axis.

I also have not been impressed with what I've seen and heard about their reliability. My boss shoots one that will not feed properly with several types of common training ammo (Fiocci and WWB). I have also been told by several instructors (guys who see more rounds downrange in a year than most of us will ever shoot) that they seldom see an XD .40 or .45 make it through a class without breaking.

Personally, I'd go with either a Glock or a S&W M&P, I'd also go with a 9mm instead of a .40...just my $0.02.
Yeah, i'm absolutely with you on the trigger pull......it was way too long, the let off was in the wrong place, and there was too much over-travel.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, i'm absolutely with you on the trigger pull......it was way too long, the let off was in the wrong place, and there was too much over-travel.

Exactly...I also hate the long reset (compared to the Glock)...the first time I shot an XD, I kept "short-stroking" it due to the fact that the Glocks shorter reset has come to be second-nature.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactly...I also hate the long reset (compared to the Glock)...the first time I shot an XD, I kept "short-stroking" it due to the fact that the Glocks shorter reset has come to be second-nature.
Same problem I had......if you're used to a GLOCK you'll HATE the XD.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu

So poor little me who's used to a 1911 trigger would not so very much like it either, then.......

of course.....I have a 1911, so......:D

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
So poor little me who's used to a 1911 trigger would not so very much like it either, then.......

of course.....I have a 1911, so......:D
Once you're used to a 1911 trigger.....there really isn't any other trigger. ;)

Latest Discussions