Any new systems focused on defense?

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
I been looking and trying to find different concepts and aspect on blocking overall defense but mainly blockng?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about this

You run away Fu
icon10.gif

All kidding aside all new systems are like the old one but modify.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
How about this

You run away Fu
icon10.gif

All kidding aside all new systems are like the old one but modify.

I tend to agree with Terryl965. I suspect that as old as the arts are, new systems are modifications, or combination's, of older styles.

In fact it seems most of my hobbies, has very little new...just re-hash or derivatives of older things.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
ALmost all Martial Arts focus on self defense. THe only oen i would avoid is MMA style training or any other sport focused style. The SD is left at the door most of the time.

stevieb_8006

White Belt
Reaction score
52 blocks. www.52blocks.tv check out the "sheilding vid" and the "Big K El Mira" vids! Basically if your hands r in motion its easier to react to an attack.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hate to say it but a block is a block unless it is a strike.
as old as the martial arts are I doubt there are any new blocks and I doubt there are any new ways of blocking, just different approches to the same result

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
ALmost all Martial Arts focus on self defense. THe only oen i would avoid is MMA style training or any other sport focused style. The SD is left at the door most of the time.

Extremely inaccurate statement. Blocking is the worst choice for defense anyway, IMHO.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I think you're wrong. And sweeping generalizations is pretty wrong, too.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score

BJJ is considered a "sport" art, though I am not sure why, perhaps because we have competitions? But many other arts have competitions that are not "sport" arts, Karate is an example. If you think that practitioners of BJJ don't know self defense, head to your local BJJ dojo and find out...they'll be all too happy to show you.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If yours do not teach any blocking? ..ducking or weaving or feinting?

Than you are going to get hit ALL THE TIME!

All martial arts teach some forms of blocking ...USUALLY FROM PUNCHES,KICKS AND ANY STRIKES TO THE BODY!

All sports..basketball, football, Judo, teaches you to block? ....name a art or sport that does not teach blocking?

There will always be a time to forcus on defense...and a time for offense...Knowing when and how much...depends on your situtions...

NOT sure if you are looking for a very defense oriented martial arts?
Maybe what you have seen of Wing chun?

Best to block verbal attacks before it gets physcial.....

Those who use there heads for blocking? ....are known as Blockheads

Aloha,

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I been looking and trying to find different concepts and aspect on blocking overall defense but mainly blockng
Blocking means to stop force from entering. so perhaps your definition may differ which may cause you to question on new means to achieve a defensive manner.

Defense is a broader term putting in parry, interception,redirection and so on. I doubt you can invent something that has not been thought of before I mean people have been fighting for a long time and from blows some sort of defensive tactic has been concieved by all possible means well at least I think so.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Covering up the body with hands over the head, ducking, elbow in...

Maybe should be taught when attack unexpect, very few "arts' teach this?

Escaping is a form of blocking...ducking, weaving, is a form of blocking too...

IF someone miss you? ...you block....if you get hit? .....you didn't block

If your system isn't given you enought blocking techniques? ......UM?

If someone throws something to you? We automaticly duck or catch it!
This is self taught!

Teach yourself to block ....first thing you learn in karate.....Police,Military wears armor to block in coming bullets....Blocking can be all things..........Aloha

OP
jkd friend

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Covering up the body with hands over the head, ducking, elbow in...

Maybe should be taught when attack unexpect, very few "arts' teach this?

Escaping is a form of blocking...ducking, weaving, is a form of blocking too...

IF someone miss you? ...you block....if you get hit? .....you didn't block

If your system isn't given you enought blocking techniques? ......UM?

If someone throws something to you? We automaticly duck or catch it!
This is self taught!

Teach yourself to block ....first thing you learn in karate.....Police,Military wears armor to block in coming bullets....Blocking can be all things..........Aloha

I understand that and it's not just blocking techniques it's more so concepts or different concepts on blocking as such as timing things of that nature. :asian: ( Aye but thanks for reminding me of that because I tend to forget that at times truefully.:asian:

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand that and it's not just blocking techniques it's more so concepts or different concepts on blocking as such as timing things of that nature. :asian: ( Aye but thanks for reminding me of that because I tend to forget that at times truefully.:asian:

How long have you been training JKD and where do you train, jkdfriend? Basic striking and defending in almost every art requires an understanding of timing. It should be one of the first things you take notice of when you spar/drill/fight.

I agree with the poster about Crazy Monkey defense. Look it up on Youtube, under Rodney King (not related to the Rodney King in L.A.). It's a great defense against multiple blows.