answer plzzz

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's probably going to be best if you find out what is around when you get there. Remember, not every street corner in China will have a Wing Chun school (from what I understand, it is based much more strongly in Hong Kong these days, anyway), and Ninjutsu dojos are not the easiest or most common you will find either.

How long are you going to be there for? Oh, and being in a regional area doesn't necessarily mean you are without options. For example, a regional town in New South Wales, called Gunnedah, has two very important treasures to offer. The first, and it's really hard for me to pick between these, by the way, is Miss Miranda Kerr, Victoria's Secret model with the cutest dimples around, and Sensei Philip Hinshelwood, who is a direct student of Kenji Shimazu Sensei of the Yagyu Shingan Ryu Heiho and Morishige Ryu Hinawajutsu. Now that's something I'm very interested in...

OP
H

HooT

White Belt
Reaction score
ill be there a minimum 1 year, maybe 2 or 3, wherever i choose to go, which is looking more and more like China, im sure there will be some mcdojos over there so ill try n stay clear of em, ill get to know some of the locals and see if they can point me in the right direction

i know gunnedah well :) im north of Goondiwindi

you obviously know what you are talking about too, so i just wanna ask for a comment on this that some knob wrote if that be cool

"Dirty Boxing is more effective than Wing Chun. Wing Chun is corny. I just don't see any Wing Chun guy facing a good ,and "real professional" fighter using nothing, but Wing Chun nonsense. Sorry man, I just don't. Maybe it will work against a guy who can fight period, and is weak. Really though, Wing Chun seems pretty crappy until it is proven otherwise. Real fighting is much more complex than Wing Chun teaching. Much more complex."

im just assuming this fool is just talkin crap? dunno
cheers for all your help tho mate!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't take that as the most informed opinion I've ever read...

Dirty Boxing is actually a more recent term for the way boxing was approached prior to the Marquise of Queensbury Rules, and included a range of other (non-boxing) aspects, such as grappling, takedowns, and more survival-type tactics.

As for saying Wing Chun is just corny, nonsense, and "crappy until proven otherwise", well, I'll just say that Wing Chun has quite a history of being used in violent street fights in Hong Kong for quite a long time. In fact, one of the catalysts that saw Bruse Lee leave Hong Kong was him getting caught up in such fights, as were people such as William Cheung, whose Academy is here in Melbourne (not far from where I teach, actually).

But back to your needs, depending on where exactly you are in China, you will probably find something, but exactly what is unknown at this point. And remember, each different art will have very different approaches to their art. For example, Wing Chun's great rival (who they had most of their fights against) is Hung Gar Kung Fu.

Hung Gar is characterised by being diametrically opposed to Wing Chun. Wing Chun is upright, with a forward facing, narrow stance, whereas Hung Gar has deep, low, angled stances (even deeper and lower than Ninjutsu does, by the way). Wing Chun is based on straight line strikes, Hung Gar has longer, circular, hooking strikes and kicks. In essence, everything that Wing Chun is, Hung Gar is not, and vice versa, and that led to tensions and fights between the two as they both claimed their way was better, and tried to prove the other wrong.

Then you have things like the Shaolin systems, the various Animal styles, such as Tong Long Kung Fu (Praying Mantis), and almost countless others. And, of course, Wu Shu. This is primarily developed for the Beijing Opera, and is very showy and acrobatic, but was never intended to be viable as a combat system.

Again, though, see what is there when you get there, in the meantime, by all means get as much info as you can so you don't get duped by a bogus school when you find one (and yes, they are all over Japan, China, and everywhere else, not just the Western countries...).

Oh, and one last thing. You may want to check over the rules for this particular forum site. The concept behind Martialtalk is that discussion can be enjoyed by all, provided it is polite. I would probably refrain form using terms such as describing someone as a "knob", even if I disagree with them. Just a friendly note.

Last edited:
OP
H

HooT

White Belt
Reaction score
do u reckon i should start out with 1 2 or 3 times a week training? keeping in mind im a total noob to this :(

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you should see what is available when you get there, and see what their schedule provides you. Not every school will give you options to pick and choose when you train, most Ninjutsu dojos even in Japan only teach once a week. So all of this is really moot until you have better knowledge of what your real options are.

Latest Discussions