Another weirdo question from me

Fightback2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, here goes. What do you wear when you're "witnessing a proclamation" from the mayor of your town that's based on a letter that you sent to him? I know, I know dumb question for this forum but I don't know who else to ask.

Weeks ago I sent a letter to the mayor asking him to proclaim April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month in our fair town. I pretty much forgot about it until I got a call from his assistant a little while ago. Based on the letter that I sent and the work we've been doing to promote sexual assault awareness they want us (my husband and I) to be there for the proclamation.

We have shirts with the self defense logo on them. Does that work? Should I wear a dress? UGH!

Has anyone had to deal with their local politicians before? Help me please!!!!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your shirts with some nice pants would be great. It would give some further advertising when they take your picture for the newspaper. (goes with the territory) Smile and look square and center! :) TW

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the T-shirts with pants would be great - or if you feel more comfortable a little more "dressy", that's good too! But TW is right - more awareness campaigning = better!

Congrats, btw!!! Glad to know people out there are concerned.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you should wear the sexiest outfit you own ... not something nice and elegantly sexy ... but something really, really trampy and sexy.

You know, when you dress that way ... you know you're just askin' for somethin'.

OK, obviously, I am being a wise-guy. I think you should look nice enough (as someone said) to have your picture in the paper. I would say don't wear a shirt with advertisements on it. I think that would be tacky.

And ...

Props for You!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This is a dress up nice event. Please consider being very mature on your clothes you choose, closer to formal wear will always be appropiate.

The sign of a intelligent and mature person is the clothes they wear at the right kind of event. Trust your instincts. .....Aloha ( We like Aloha shirts)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it were me, Id so go to my photo op with the mayor in Ratty jeans, combat boots and my Anarchy Tshirt, and my painted leather.

Why?

Because it shows people that Just cuz you dress like a Punk doenst mean you dont have a voice or social awareness.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the shirts with the logo is the best idea. It shows you have at least some official capacity and experience, and looks neat and profesional.

Oh, and thankyou for your work in raising awareness of sexual assault. Every little bit helps.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to write those babies for the state of Pennsylvania--the format is

Whereas

Whereas

Whereas

Whereas

Therefore "This shalt be..."

This is a very formal event. T-shirts generally aren't proper, though in this instance they might be, given their relevance to the program. A banner tastefully placed might be a better idea. Contact his communications director or press secretary and they'll set you straight.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
This is a very formal event. T-shirts generally aren't proper, though in this instance they might be, given their relevance to the program. A banner tastefully placed might be a better idea. Contact his communications director or press secretary and they'll set you straight.
I agree. Generally this is a big event and rather formal (I work for the government, so I've seen my share of these types of events). Small towns may sometimes be a bit more low key. Yes, contact the press secretary. She has heard the question before ("what is appropriate to wear?") so will be able to let you know. It also won't hurt to ask her opinion about the self defense shirt. If she feels it is too casual, then dress up. If she thinks it is ok and would pose no problem, then go for it!!

- Ceicei

OP
Fightback2

Fightback2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to call the press secretary as suggested and get her/his opinion.

Never figured when we started the program 4 years ago that we'd end up in the mayor's office - who'd a thunk it! :ultracool

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I think you should wear the sexiest outfit you own ... not something nice and elegantly sexy ... but something really, really trampy and sexy.

You know, when you dress that way ... you know you're just askin' for somethin'.

OK, obviously, I am being a wise-guy. I think you should look nice enough (as someone said) to have your picture in the paper. I would say don't wear a shirt with advertisements on it. I think that would be tacky.

And ...

Props for You!
:roflmao:

Rick

White Belt
Reaction score
If I could post a small suggestion. From someone involved in politics and marketing, remember what you are presenting (selling). You are there as a congratulations from the mayor and to raise awareness of this problem, what would you want to see if you were looking at this. Would you want to feel that you were looking at an advertisment for someone (your shirt). Would you wonder who that person is who looks so uncomfortable in the "sunday best" they wore to meet the mayor? My suggestion, go comfortable in business casual slacks and a buttondown shirt or sweater. Make sure the press to get your name and business right if you make the paper, this way it seems like information from the paper, not you.

Latest Discussions