Another Self defence system

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You get to a level of competence that is beyond application and you will naturally start to innovate. Problem with some MA training is that they don't even get to application, much less beyond into more advanced stages of expertise.

It is not that they don't get to application. It is that it just isn't important. This is where we get a lot of conflict. We suggest someone go out and actually apply it. And then have to spend 20 pages trying to explain why this should be a thing in martial arts.

And then basically wind up with. "Sorry I don't compete. I don't street fight and only spar gumbies at 20‰. But you should here my opinions on how fighting works"

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Have you even practised anything similar? Pukulan or Silat?

If not maybe you should try it.

As for Fred Mastro he had a very tough teacher called Pak Turpijn. I believe Fred is the real deal. The video that is shown is in a seminar setting and doesn't really show what he is really capable of. He is one the most down to earth person I crossed paths with.

I was under the impression Fred Mastro's Silat teacher was Charles Joussot.

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
To the OP

The guy knows how to move but as for self defence it is a little off.

One example of this is where he responds to a knife threat by turning the knife into the stomach of the other person, driving it in with his knee just to make sure.

In many countries this would be classes as murder rather than self defence.

Some I guess would claim you could get away with it legally but then you still have the physiological effect that you have to deal with.

This theme seems to be repeated throughout the demo.

If it is for military then I guess it is for them to judge, but to show this and then advertise it as a civilian self defence system in my opinion is incorrect

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys.

A friend on Facebook sent this to me asking for my opinion, and quite frankly I don't know what to make of it. From one stand point the guy doing the demonstrations clearly has a lot of speed and has trained his techniques well, but it's hard to tell if he could do the same thing under resistance.

I turned it off after 12 seconds. He stabs a guy 20+ times and calls that SD?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
^^^^ You just don't like unecessarily killing people. Like what's with that? :confused:

Heck maybe you can fix that weakness....

Reminds me of something that happened to me back around 1985. I met a guy, an old Vietnam combat vet that owned a house together with a couple of cheap apartments where my girlfriend was staying while in college. Anyway, this guy felt that a lot of the trauma, PTSD, etc. associated with killing could be overcome the same way some therapists treat phobias ...by de-sensitizing the individual through gradually increasing exposure.

He gave the example of growing up on a farm and raising rabbits, lambs, calves, and so forth. When he was little, he said he was really upset when he had to slaughter them. But his dad helped him do it more and more until it became like a game, then finally just another boring chore.

Similarly, he said his first kill or two in 'Nam upset him, but after he killed a whole lot of people, it was not so much of a problem. So he held that if a soldier had an issue with killing, he should work at de-sensitizing himself by ramping up his kills, eventually, killing as many as possible, and it would get really easy, ...like any other chore. ;)

When I expressed doubt, he got really worked up about us softies who were a too young and had missed the war. He said that we didn't know sh!t and whipped out a loaded 45 and pointed at me and my girlfriend to let us know what it felt like to know you can die in an instant.:eek:

Somehow we got him to lower the gun and got the hell out of there. However, none of this desensitized me. Rather, it reinforced my previous knowledge that I did not like killing people, and that I also didn't like being threatened with immediate death. So I don't think I would recommend this approach to training mass murderers. :cool:

One good thing did come of it however. My girlfriend decided right then and there to move out of this psycho's rental apartment and move in with me. We later married and have been together over 30 years. :)

Last edited:

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^ You just don't like unecessarily killing people. Like what's with that? :confused:

Heck maybe you can fix that weakness....

Reminds me of something that happened to me back around 1985. I met a guy, an old Vietnam combat vet that owned a house together with a couple of cheap apartments where my girlfriend was staying while in college. Anyway, this guy felt that a lot of the trauma, PTSD, etc. associated with killing could be overcome the same way some therapists treat phobias ...by de-sensitizing the individual through gradually increasing exposure.

He gave the example of growing up on a farm and raising rabbits, lambs, calves, and so forth. When he was little, he said he was really upset when he had to slaughter them. But his dad helped him do it more and more until it became like a game, then finally just another boring chore.

Similarly, he said his first kill or two in 'Nam upset him, but after he killed a whole lot of people, it was not so much of a problem. So he held that if a soldier had an issue with killing, he should work at de-sensitizing himself by ramping up his kills, eventually, killing as many as possible, and it would get really easy, ...like any other chore. ;)

When I expressed doubt, he got really worked up about us softies who were a too young and had missed the war. He said that we didn't know sh!t and whipped out a loaded 45 and pointed at me and my girlfriend to let us know what it felt like to know you can die in an instant.:eek:

Somehow we got him to lower the gun and got the hell out of there. However, none of this desensitized me. Rather, it reinforced my previous knowledge that I did not like killing people, and that I also didn't like being threatened with immediate death. So I don't think I would recommend this approach to training mass murderers. :cool:

One good thing did come of it however. My girlfriend decided right then and there to move out of this psycho's rental apartment and move in with me. We later married and have been together over 30 years. :)

your landlord vet friends was partially correct. there is a desensitizing effect that can happen. Grossman has written about this in his book "On Killing". FBI profilers will tell you many serial killers start with animals. hunters will say the same thing. this only applies to the ability to take life and it will vary from person to person. there is about 2% of the population that will have no remorse about killing and that is really what we are talking about here ..remorse. PTSD on the other hand ventures into a totally different segment of psychology. while it overlaps a bit, it cannot be said the "cure" is to kill more. many PTSD cases are not about killing but rather fear, stress and high levels of adrenaline for extended periods of time.

Latest Discussions