An update on my workout

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello. I am more or less two weeks into my new workout routine of attempting 500 push-ups daily. I have never actually managed to get to 500 pushups within one sitting. My personal record is 400 normal pushups in around 35-40 minutes. After around the 300 mark, I get a really intense tearing feeling on the sides of my pecs, a few reps before the pain is so intense I am afraid to push on. After this, I drop down and do as many pushups on my knees as I can. My chest seems to have grown a little bit, but I imagine it is just a pump, as it takes months to see any effects. Overall though, my progress has been fast. My first day, I managed 361 within 55 minutes. Just a few days ago is when I managed the 400.

I have also continued to do my squats. I have just finished 300 hindu squats today, right before writing this. My quads are killing me. I am hoping I will build up the strength in my legs for unorthodox positions found in wrestling, judo and jiujitsu. Originally, just the though of doing 100 seemed impossible. In a few more days, I will push for 500 hindu squats.

Every now and then I take a few days off to let my muscles rest. On a side note, for any of you that have heard of the Great Gama, a legendary Indian wrestler, how did he perform such a high amount of reps daily? Supposedly he performed 5000 hindu squats daily, with a 200 pound apparatus on him, and 3000 hindu pushups. How can I achieve such a high volume and strength? Thanks.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello. I am more or less two weeks into my new workout routine of attempting 500 push-ups daily. I have never actually managed to get to 500 pushups within one sitting. My personal record is 400 normal pushups in around 35-40 minutes. After around the 300 mark, I get a really intense tearing feeling on the sides of my pecs, a few reps before the pain is so intense I am afraid to push on. After this, I drop down and do as many pushups on my knees as I can. My chest seems to have grown a little bit, but I imagine it is just a pump, as it takes months to see any effects. Overall though, my progress has been fast. My first day, I managed 361 within 55 minutes. Just a few days ago is when I managed the 400.

I have also continued to do my squats. I have just finished 300 hindu squats today, right before writing this. My quads are killing me. I am hoping I will build up the strength in my legs for unorthodox positions found in wrestling, judo and jiujitsu. Originally, just the though of doing 100 seemed impossible. In a few more days, I will push for 500 hindu squats.

Every now and then I take a few days off to let my muscles rest. On a side note, for any of you that have heard of the Great Gama, a legendary Indian wrestler, how did he perform such a high amount of reps daily? Supposedly he performed 5000 hindu squats daily, with a 200 pound apparatus on him, and 3000 hindu pushups. How can I achieve such a high volume and strength? Thanks.
The baithak is an ancient Yogic squat exercise that made it's way around Asia, and eventually the world, which is why it's called a "Hindu" squat.

Want to know the secret?

Just do it as slowly as possible. Spend more time going through, time in tension. Practically every video of the baithak online is fitness people doing it quickly. But rushing it, you are losing out. You don't rush Yoga for the same reason. This is also solid advice for any sort of bodyweight or weighlifting exercise. There are always those dudes who think lifting a lot of weight fast is a big deal. But they can't sustain it.

You won't need 3,000-5,000, but you'll be able to easily, once you can make doing 1 last a long time.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Almost forgot the most important part.

Keep your mouth shut and only breath through your nose, with the tip of the tongue lightly pressed into the hard palate at the roof of your mouth.

Also good Qigong advice.

Latest Discussions