American Kick Association

OP
Oldbear343

Oldbear343

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Chang Hon forms are not "old"... The "old" forms would be the pinan forms used in some Tang Soo Do schools. The Chang Hon, Palgwae, and Taegeuk forms were all developed after 1950. That's hardly "old", in this context.
Thank you. I am not sure I regard the Pinan forms as being true Taekwondo, as they also appear, I believe, in some of the more established Japanese karate schools (but I am open to correction here)....

OP
Oldbear343

Oldbear343

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Also, if you don't feel like paying for an online course, the Chang Hon forms too are on the wiki, complete with instructions, videos, and diagrams...for free. It's not constructed as a curriculum like the Kukkiwon/WTF curriculum on the wiki, but one could certainly build an online curriculum around these pages.

Chon-Ji - Taekwondo Wiki
Appreciate that ☺

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I am not sure I regard the Pinan forms as being true Taekwondo, as they also appear, I believe, in some of the more established Japanese karate schools (but I am open to correction here)....

That would be because the pinan forms have long been used by Shotokan schools. And Shotokan, of course, is the primary source art for Taekwondo

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Koreans call them the Pyong Ahn forms. They are essentially the exact same forms as the pinans.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Along with Taekwon, perhaps ☺

Nope. There is no reason to believe that taekkyeon survived the Japanese occupation and cultural suppression any more than did Soo Bahk, Kwon Bop or the teachings of the Hwarang.
There are some who claim to have preserved the art through the occupation, but their ages at the time make it unlikely that anything more than the tiniest bit could have survived.
The South Korean governments willingness to accept these claims is (I think) based more on a cultural desire to distance Korean MA from Japanese. In the early days of TKD, the party line was to claim connections to ancient Korean arts. These claims have all turned out to be unsupportable.

Actual verifiable influences on the development of TKD would be Shotokan, Judo and Northern Chinese styles.

OP
Oldbear343

Oldbear343

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nope. There is no reason to believe that taekkyeon survived the Japanese occupation and cultural suppression any more than did Soo Bahk, Kwon Bop or the teachings of the Hwarang.
There are some who claim to have preserved the art through the occupation, but their ages at the time make it unlikely that anything more than the tiniest bit could have survived.
The South Korean governments willingness to accept these claims is (I think) based more on a cultural desire to distance Korean MA from Japanese. In the early days of TKD, the party line was to claim connections to ancient Korean arts. These claims have all turned out to be unsupportable.

Actual verifiable influences on the development of TKD would be Shotokan, Judo and Northern Chinese styles.
Thank you. You may well be right. The history of occupation and oppression in Korea is truly a monument to the horrors that humanity can sink into, sadly....

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Somewhat off the taekwondo topic (but relevant to the above comments)...

You guys may have already seen this, but I really enjoyed this Korean film that pertains somewhat to the occupation: My Way 2011 film - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia It's a very fictionalized story that's based on the true story of a Korean man who was conscripted into the Japanese Imperial Army during World War II, then ran away, only to be conscripted into the Soviet army, then ran away again, only to be conscripted into the German army, only to be captured by Americans after D-Day, who -- logically enough -- assumed him to be Japanese. Yes...during World War II this poor guy was forced to fight for both sides! Anyway, I thought it did a really interesting job of portraying what Korean life during the Japanese occupation might have been like.

OP
Oldbear343

Oldbear343

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Somewhat off the taekwondo topic (but relevant to the above comments)...

You guys may have already seen this, but I really enjoyed this Korean film that pertains somewhat to the occupation: My Way 2011 film - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia It's a very fictionalized story that's based on the true story of a Korean man who was conscripted into the Japanese Imperial Army during World War II, then ran away, only to be conscripted into the Soviet army, then ran away again, only to be conscripted into the German army, only to be captured by Americans after D-Day, who -- logically enough -- assumed him to be Japanese. Yes...during World War II this poor guy was forced to fight for both sides! Anyway, I thought it did a really interesting job of portraying what Korean life during the Japanese occupation might have been like.
Sounds a great film - I shall seek it out. BTW I used to know a Hungarian who allegedly fought for both the Germans and the Russians...

Latest Discussions