Amateur Hour?

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This http://www.cbs58.com/index.php?aid=13971 is a good example of what never to do. Why would you try to stop a bank robber pointing a gun at a bank teller, by jumping the robber from behind and grabbing their neck so clumsily as shown in this video? In this case the “brave” bank customer got lucky no one was killed by the bank robber, who apparently got away. What did the "brave" bank customer achieve here?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a lot of stupid in this clip. The robber didn't even acknowledge that there were several people behind him. Dumbass move by the customer, too.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha ha ha...did the suspect just walk out the door with the guy on his back? He did not even take him down. Now that was stupid.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is very obvious that this customer had some kind of MA experience because of the technique he used, and the way he handled himself. It smacks of McDojo all the way. Way to go. It is also obvious that the robbers gun was not real along with no bullets, because there definitely would have been many shot or dead people along with the brave customer.

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is very obvious that this customer had some kind of MA experience because of the technique he used, and the way he handled himself. It smacks of McDojo all the way. Way to go. It is also obvious that the robbers gun was not real along with no bullets, because there definitely would have been many shot or dead people along with the customer.

It looks like the "brave" customer was trying to do something he saw on bad TV.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a friend that just did what the guy with the gun said and got a bullet in the head for his trouble. I am really not suprised that a person might try to thwart a robbery. He lacked skill, but screw just letting it happen. That guy may have just as readily emptied a few rounds into the crowd.
Sean

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I had a friend that just did what the guy with the gun said and got a bullet in the head for his trouble. I am really not suprised that a person might try to thwart a robbery. He lacked skill, but screw just letting it happen. That guy may have just as readily emptied a few rounds into the crowd.
Sean

The problem here is not that the "brave" bank customer decided to act, it's that he acted in a callous way that could very easily have resulted in the death of the teller he was trying to help, himself and many others.

I am by no means a firearms expert, but I know a few things: The pull of a gun trigger is measured in milliseconds and the result thereof is the violent discharge of a deadly projectile whose kinetic energy -- depending on size of firearm -- is measured in hundreds of foot pounds. If one is going to challenge someone holding a gun they'd better be sure they can match or come close to those numbers. Their action should be aimed at directly or indirectly destroying the assailant's ability to pull the trigger and divert the weapon's aim from potential targets. The "brave" bank customer failed miserably at this by using a neck grab that left the robber with a gun pointed at the teller. Thereafter the customer spent more than 8 seconds wrestling with the armed robber, who escaped intact and more educated for future jobs. Yes, the robber dropped his weapon, but his own clumsiness had more to do with it.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
No one mentioned this , so I will .
(I know because I had a similar issue once - NO GUN INVOLVED).

When someone is wearing this type of clothing, even a well applied rear naked choke (This guy never got it on either because his technique was bad, or he watched too much WWE) will have it's effectiveness diminished by the prescence of clothing, either yours or the other persons, which may disburse the pressure of the arm against the neck.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
No one mentioned this , so I will .
(I know because I had a similar issue once - NO GUN INVOLVED).

When someone is wearing this type of clothing, even a well applied rear naked choke (This guy never got it on either because his technique was bad, or he watched too much WWE) will have it's effectiveness diminished by the prescence of clothing, either yours or the other persons, which may disburse the pressure of the arm against the neck.
Yes all true, but you can take them down to the ground. This guy just walked away with the dude on his back.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why I feel the striking arts are inapplicable, for just this reason.

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is why I feel the striking arts are inapplicable, for just this reason.

Sir, I usually agree with your keen observations, but I respectfully beg to differ here. The bank customer had lots of opportunity to use simple, quick and efficient strikes -- from the rear and side -- that would have neutralized the robber very quickly.