Am I being an ***

Phil_n.ireland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Getting fed up going to juijitsu and getting paired with the same guy. hes a great guy its just he has special needs or learning difficulties he's physically slow as well as mentally, every time I go weir paired because weir on the same belt, when doing locks etc he sometimes goes at it full because he's no sense or when he's throwing you he nearly breaks your neck, also he's as stiff as a board and goes over like a sack of potatoes, never break falls and he's on his 3rd belt like me,nothing goes fluent, I feel its really holding me back but I don't want to sound like an ******* and ask to be swapped about, am I being bad here?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Getting fed up going to juijitsu and getting paired with the same guy. hes a great guy its just he has special needs or learning difficulties he's physically slow as well as mentally, every time I go weir paired because weir on the same belt, when doing locks etc he sometimes goes at it full because he's no sense or when he's throwing you he nearly breaks your neck, also he's as stiff as a board and goes over like a sack of potatoes, never break falls and he's on his 3rd belt like me,nothing goes fluent, I feel its really holding me back but I don't want to sound like an ******* and ask to be swapped about, am I being bad here?
Tough situation. If he's not doing anything overtly wrong, there's little to complain about. You might try pairing up with other guys to drill with. Or, if necessary, talk to your coach. I'd recommend not throwing the guy under the bus. INstead, you could try to emphasize to your coach that you would like to work with different body types to round out your training... something like that. Truth is, even if he were a terrific drilling partner, you should work with different people.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree with Steve 100%.
To add to what hesaid, bringing this news to your coach or instructor saying you wish to workwith different body types may encourage him to switch everyone up, benefitingeverybody in the long run.
Everyone has their favorite training partners and thepartners they would rather not work with, but it is important to practice witheverybody to avoid complacency.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As others have said -- you should be switching partners around so that you acquire familiarity with how the techniques work with people of different sizes and builds. For some things, it's much easier to learn with someone of similar size and build -- but once you've got the idea, you should be mixing it up. And... honestly, I like to pair newer students up with more senior students. It balances out; the senior student can help the junior learn how things work, and gets practice teaching and working with less skilled people.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was often the second-biggest guy and would get paired with the biggest guy, who would far outweigh me. It's no fun. Maybe speak with the instructor.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
My opinion: This is not a healthy setting for you to be learning in. Go see the heads about it, get it resolved. Im sure theyll be willing to make a compromise. Just make it very, very clear that you are not content with the state of affairs before you even begin to explain why. And if they dont want to resolve it for you (which im sure they will), stop attending class until he either gets promoted or leaves. Problem solved.

OP
Phil_n.ireland

Phil_n.ireland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks I didn't know what sort of replies I was going to get to that I'm glad your understanding

Janina

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In our Dojo we have the principle that you have to learn to practice with different kind of people cause you cannot always and in all situation choose whom you want to train with. I personally have found it very valuable to practice with many kind of persons and body types. It has helped me enormously to learn to read people and their way to move.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed to talk to your teacher/instructor. Teachers sometimes take the easy way out, sometimes without even realizing it.

One of my daughters, when in 3rd grade, kept getting a very disruptive boy put next to her. She did not complain to the teacher about it. However, it was effecting her ability to pay attention and do her work, even though she ignored to boy as much as possible. She told me and I told the teacher. I believe the teacher that she hadn't realized it was effecting my daughter that way, only being glad that students weren't complaining about the boy. Gave her some peace in her classroom.

Once I pointed that out to her, she stopped doing it. Perhaps it will be the same with you. Let us know how it works out for you.

OP
Phil_n.ireland

Phil_n.ireland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks I go Tuesday and Thursdays but not going tonight as its my wedding anniversary but il go early on Tuesday and talk with my teacher il let you know how it goes

Latest Discussions