All it takes is one hit

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Scary and so sad. Not only sad for the boy's family, but the girl and her family.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow. ... I'm just ... speechless. Poor kids.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Its not that shocking to me. Its amazing what can happen with a well placed strike, concenring timing and angle. Also if there were pre-exsisting but unknown health conditions. Its sad to hear but you just never know what can happen.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a fairly well known safety concern, at least in baseball:

Statistics compiled by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission1 indicate that there were 88 baseball-related deaths to children in this age group between 1973 and 1995, an average of about 4 per year. This average has not changed since 1973. Of these, 43% were from direct-ball impact with the chest (commotio cordis);

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;107/4/782

It's rare, but it does happen, strikes to the chest on younger kids can cause pretty serious injuries in some cases.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is very sad indeed.
icon9.gif

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is indeed very sad and distressing all round. In amidst the shock for both families is the truism of never hit anyone unless you are prepared for the consequences.

It reminds me of an aphorism of my sensei that it only takes one hit to kill someone and the one doing the striking does not have to be trained for that to be true. His point for this is to avoid having to fight at all costs because you can never control that random element.

It is most sorrowful to have his words proved most apposite by this tale :(.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My thoughts and best wishes go to both families.

If it weren't such a tragedy, it would be the stuff legends are made of...If it had happened to two adults, it would have been sold as skill or something mystical...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This shows...humans ...still have the "fight or flee" ...intincts! (no matter the age)..

He push her..and she punch him on intincts....WILL HUMANS EVER CHANGE?

OR WIL THIS BE JUST ONE MORE SAD STORY.....never ending.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Make anybody mad enough? .....things like this will happen again and again....

MAD ..mothers against drunks (drinking?)....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"EVE" ...bit the apple first....Adam...not knowing better...ate the apple too....God made them FLEE the garden of eden....

Hence "Adam" knows the next time to fight back...so he would not have to flee again....

Since the beginning...man had to learn to fight or be force to flee....

Adam and Eve had the first marital problem...?

Aloha .....our version is Eve ate banana....because of this they had to leave mountains....Adam learn to fish.....

PS: Fishing is still fun!

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are any number of tragic variants to this that I have seen.... people knocked down only to hit their head on something, people fleeing into traffic and being run over, etc ... but the common lesson is not to use violence on another human unless you absolutely must.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
His point for this is to avoid having to fight at all costs because you can never control that random element.

How True! We can now take this opportunity to reflect on that point!

This is so sad. Children do these things, they are expected to. Usually nothing comes from it. After all, the bones are so soft at that age. Its a terrible tragedy.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Those poor parents. All of them.

One ramdom act has tragically affected so many lives.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Families??? I think about that poor 11 year old girl who will have her life marked forever by something that happens daily and involves the great majority of kids.
I hope at least she won't have to pay too havily with the law for this accident.

And this also proves how schools are not prepeared for emergencies. To restart his heart would have been enough an electrical shock...sad....very sad...

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Families??? I think about that poor 11 year old girl who will have her life marked forever by something that happens daily and involves the great majority of kids.

Yes, families. But charyuop is right, this girl is most likely going to have PTSD and is going to need at least a few years of counceling to move on with her life.
As some people have already posted, heart strikes are intense. They can drop a perfectly healthy adult. The whole thing is really sad.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
My sensei says "If you have to hit somebody, kill them."

Followed by "If you're not comfortable that you're justified in killing them, you're not justified in hitting them either."

Case in point. I can't imagine what it must be like for the girl, both families...it must be awful.

Latest Discussions