All Alone

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If someone comes to me after having achieved Dan rank in the same art elsewhere (i.e TSD to TSD or TKD to TKD), they are welcome to practice in my class (provided they have a good attitude). However, I have no legitimate claim to them as students, nor can I recommend them to test for higher Dan because they are officially considered students of the old organization. You cannot just leave one organization for another after having achieved Dan rank without certain etiquettes being followed.

So if someone moves from one part of the country to another and joins you, you won't consider them as students, likewise if their school closes down or instructor retires or dies that's it also? Do you 'allow' your students to train with anyone else? Are they allowed to cross train or are they your property totally?

F

foggymorning162

If someone comes to me after having achieved Dan rank in the same art elsewhere (i.e TSD to TSD or TKD to TKD), they are welcome to practice in my class (provided they have a good attitude). However, I have no legitimate claim to them as students, nor can I recommend them to test for higher Dan because they are officially considered students of the old organization. You cannot just leave one organization for another after having achieved Dan rank without certain etiquettes being followed.
So if you were to leave your orginazation for any reason are you saying that you would stop training or that you would forever keep the same rank because your current org. owns you? I understand making someone prove that they deserve to be promoted and making them wait a little longer than someone who has been training with you from the beginning but to say that they can never be promoted because they "aren't your student" that's a good way to make them no longer your student. People leave for many reasons sometimes no one is at fault should they be forever stuck because of it?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My instructor has been to many clubs and has grades in quite a few styles, he was in the army and posted frequently over his 22 years service so was never able to stay at one club more than three years. The same is true of many of our students, we've never been able to grade anyone up to black belt as they have had to move on, we've had students from other styles join us for the same reason. We always allow incoming students to keep the same rank as they had gained in their last club, we are also as flexible as we can be in their gradings with us. Not a purist attitude I know but we teach martial arts, how to fight and how to defend yourself. Our techniques may not be 'pure' TSD but they are effective. We've also learnt a lot from people coming in with different styles.

Dana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The martial arts, like any other organizational relationship, is about personalities, politics, and occasionally (or more than not), about money. That is a reality most often than not. If you do not think so, then you are very lucky, are low on the proverbial totem pole, or simply have your head in the sand. Understand that I say this with a certain amount of humor and some experience as a head instructor, mostly with the good side of things.

If someone leaves their instructor because of personal disagreements, does it mean they are not loyal? Maybe or maybe not, most likely it is just time to move on. If you have not walked in those shoes you may not be qualified to comment. Like Mac said, students are not feudal serfs. If these folks know their stuff and are willing to learn, they are students worth teaching. If they are so arrogant that they can not put themselves under another’s scrutiny, then sure, go somewhere else or be “independent.”

I personally think people can use instruction from seniors and criticism to improve, most importantly in their particular style I think going independent is fine for some, but independents occasionally live in glass houses; they just do not want anyone telling them they look like s**t. Or, they just got tired of administrative and fiscal headaches. I like an instructor who instructs and an organization that does not charge you an arm and a leg. My current one seems to fit that bill so far.

Just my opinion; yours will probably be different!

Dana

Montecarlodrag

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tonight was a tough night. I have been having a sort of faling out with my teacher over the past 2 weeks, and it led to us parting ways this evening. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, except to continue to teach my students as I always do. I don't know what else to say here.

We have experienced the same thing as you. I have myself parted ways 2 times with 2 instructors.
It's hard at first, but you will overcome it soon. Just don't let your students feel like you are nothing without your instructor. Let them know the situation, but act as you always do, teach them as usual. Let them know you will have a new master in the future and the changes are going for the better.
Remember they depend on you, and the students always look upon their instructor for confidence and assurance. If they feel even a little bit of fear on you, they may start to leave.
Don't ever talk bad things about your former instructor, even if it's true, you may regret it in the future.

You will find a new teacher soon and continue to grow. Maybe you'd learn cool things while you're alone walking the path of the warrior.

Tang Soo!

Latest Discussions