Air Rifles and Pistols and Marksmanship

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For those who shoot both regular firearms and air guns, have you noticed much of a carry over in skills? Does practice with one, in your experience, decrease, increase or make no difference in your skill with the other?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Jonathan,

Shooting a pistol compared to a rifle is different obviously because of stance, grip, etc.

Now my husband shoots both air rifle, .22 3 prone and full bore long range rifle. I showed him this thread and his belief is if you can learn to shoot well standing up then shooting in a prone position with a sling (you do this in full bore long range and .22 prone) should come relatively easy. The recoil is different, obviously.

I personally know shooters that are fantastic in both air rifle, .22 and full bore. Seems if you are a good shot, then you can easily be in both ;)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Air rifle / pistol training does help with firearms training, especially when it comes to trigger control.

It's generally a good idea to constantly work on trigger control, so that one can build up the right "muscle memory" when it comes to getting a smooth, consistent pull. If you're in an area where you can't shoot firearms without having to make a trip somewhere, then practicing with an airgun can really help show you whether or not something is wrong with your trigger mechanics, or whether bad accuracy is due to flinching.

Latest Discussions