Aikido Books

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
For those who dont know, I train in Cuong Nhu which includes Aikido. Lately I have developed an instrest in Aikido. So does anyone have any good books on the art?

tntma12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" is a great book. Breaks down the movements very well, and has great explanations for the moves and the art itself.

Also, "The Spirit of Aikido" by Ueshiba's son, is a great book on the principles and philosiphies of aikido.

Hope that helps!!

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
On my shopping list. Got anything else?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This one comes pretty highly recommended:
Budo: Teachings of the Founder of Aikido By Morihei Ueshiba
511KKTXSVPL._SL210_.jpg

http://astore.amazon.com/kunfubooonl-20/detail/4770020708/102-9844076-5598503

my friend who does aikido loves this book
71XR5ZY8T2L._SL210_.gif

http://astore.amazon.com/kunfubooonl-20/detail/4770023278/103-7214760-0547053

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aikido and the Dynamic sphere is, as has already been mentioned, possibly the best book for someone who has a budding interest in aikido out there. It's well worth getting.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would argument that Aikido is more than just books about Aikido techniques.
Centering, bodely knowledge, meditation, confrontation or zen-filosofi are just some examples that could cover it.

Check out japanese books about these things. A good book about centering is "the unfettered mind".

I would also read no-aikido books like "Afterzen: Experiences of a Zen Student Out on His Ear " or "angrey white pygamas", since they give an idea on how people have "struggeled" to get to their goal.

/yari

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would argument that Aikido is more than just books about Aikido techniques.
Centering, bodely knowledge, meditation, confrontation or zen-filosofi are just some examples that could cover it.

Check out japanese books about these things. A good book about centering is "the unfettered mind".

I would also read no-aikido books like "Afterzen: Experiences of a Zen Student Out on His Ear " or "angrey white pygamas", since they give an idea on how people have "struggeled" to get to their goal.

/yari

Good suggestions. My reason for writing this thread is out of desire to see not only the techniques that Cuong Nhu has which are Aikido based, but also the Concepts which are Aikido based. By getting an understanding of where Cuong Nhu comes from, I can better understand where it is going. I suppose.
I have also begun to find the Aikido in Cuong Nhu very intresting.

Jose Garrido

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would not recommend the Hiden Roots of Aikido...Daitoryu Since it doesn't show Daito-ryu, at least not the ones I've practiced or seen.

As far as Aikido Books are concerned IMHO the ones I like best are the Traditional Aikido series by Morihiro Saito sensei. These books are very comprehensive. There is a video that goes with the original series of these books. The latest version have been expanded and I do not believe that there is an available video with the latest version.

You can easilly obtain them by talking with Stanley Pranin at www.aikidojournal.com.

Just my 2 centavos,

Jose Garrido

Budo_NJ

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Aikido Shugyo, by Gozo Shioda seems like a good book.

I've read 1 chapter online and I plan on buying the book.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those books look pretty intresting. I'll have to look into them.

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I was in the Philippines, my uncle who still lives with my grandparents (He's 28 and is somewhat of a caretaker for my grandparents) gave me he his oldest brother's book that he had as a teenager. It's called "What is Aikido?" by Koichi Tohei. It's a very interesting read on the martial art as well as giving some background information on Morihei Ueshiba.

My dad also had a book called "Aikido: The Way of Harmony" which according to Amazon.com you can buy it for $1.80. I don't remember much about it, but it did have diagrams and such in it.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Might have to look into it, however, I don't imagine those books are still in print.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would not recommend the Hiden Roots of Aikido...Daitoryu Since it doesn't show Daito-ryu, at least not the ones I've practiced or seen.
I'd advise everybody to listen to this gentleman when he talks about Daito-ryu. He definitely knows what he's talking about.

And he's right about that book. What's shown as Daito-ryu in that book is rather different from what you'll see in a legitimate Daito-ryu dojo.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm still intrested in hearing what he is presenting as Daito Ryu, that isn't Daito Ryu.

tntma12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey CuongNhuka, just though of another great book, "the spirit of Aikido" by Kisshomaru Ueshiba. Very good book, talks much about the history and philosophy of aikido from the point of view of the founder's son.

Latest Discussions