Aikido and women

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, it is funny four really great hapkido practitioners I know are women. Look, it is all about leverage and the redirection of while doing technique. Earlier this month we had a tournament, of course Tae Kwon Do form and sparring, however there is always Hapkido form. This is where the skillset is performed based on belt color. One piece that stands out is the fact that a 115lb woman performer 10 of the 15 one arm throwing techniques effortlessly. Although let it be noted that a 5'2 man did the same techniques on his partner that outweighed him by 60lbs and was a foot taller.

So it isn't so much that Aikido is easier for women, it comes down to doing the technique correctly

Buddha1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For those women who feel strength and/or size is important in Aikido -

There is a 9-year-old girl in my dojo who is able to flip 90 kg men with ease.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Buddha1 said:

Yes my Buddha friend :) .. and that is JUST with her ONE arm :D

And this is if you break it down to its root is a simple application of redirection of ukes impulse and momentum coupled with the appropriate knowledge of how his joints move or do not move and the key is in the very simplicity of the Aikido technique which can be learned in an hour and mastered over a lifetime

You do well to post this grasshopper :)

You be good now,
Jenna

OP
Yari

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Buddha1 said:

I both agree and disagree on this.

I agree because the princeple is correct and would work no matter size.

But applied in real life the principle becomes more complex, and then size(wieght/mass/point of center) matters.

/Yari

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yari said:
I both agree and disagree on this.

I agree because the princeple is correct and would work no matter size.

But applied in real life the principle becomes more complex, and then size(wieght/mass/point of center) matters.

/Yari
Yari, if done perfectly size shouldn't make any difference at all either in the dojo or on the street. I think what makes the big difference in the street are the psychological aspects of the confrontation. In the dojo there is a comfort level and a confidence that a large uke isn't there to hurt you. Throw in the adrenaline rush and fear of someone three times your size actually trying to abduct you and things change. Is that what you meant by agree and disagree?

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have never taken an Aikido class, however I do take hapkido. The similiarities are there in the respect that if you know the technique you will do well. If you don't then you don't.....I have known women that are outstanding in hapkido, I mean the cats meow. I have also seen women who just buckled and quit.

It is the same for men. I think with the lower center of gravity, for most women, it is great for Aikido, Judo and Hapkido.

Just a thought.

OP
Yari

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
theletch1 said:
Yari, if done perfectly size shouldn't make any difference at all either in the dojo or on the street. I think what makes the big difference in the street are the psychological aspects of the confrontation. In the dojo there is a comfort level and a confidence that a large uke isn't there to hurt you. Throw in the adrenaline rush and fear of someone three times your size actually trying to abduct you and things change. Is that what you meant by agree and disagree?

Yes, I agree ;-)

Thank you!

/Yari

Latest Discussions