Aikido and competition...

M

MissTwisties

I've had someone tell me that Aikido is also an Olympic discipline...is that true? I thought I readed somewhere that Aikido do not do competitions?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The concept of competition (with the exception of shotokan aikido I think) is directly contradictory to the idea of harmony in aikido. Shotokan aikido does competition but it is not an Olympic discipline (if by that you mean it is a recognized competition within the Olympic games). The only martial arts I can think of showcased in the Olympics are boxing, wrestling, TKD, Judo and fencing. I'm certain there are others I'm missing (archery and shooting maybe) but aikido is not among them. As aikido is, by its' very nature almost purely defensive it does not lend itself to any competition.

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jeff answered this quite well. I just wanted to add a little.

Shodokan Aikido, AKA Tomiki Aikido, is the only style of Aikido that I know of that has competition. This is also not pure Aikido as Professor Tomiki blended Aikido and Judo.

OP
C

CrankyDragon

I think with NGA/Aikido, the only competition is within. We practice to better ourselves, not to be better than others.

As a wise man once said:
"Its easy to be better than someone else, its hard to be better than yourself"

Andrew

OP
T

TKDKid

Perhaps you heard of the Aikido competition in the World Games. Sensei Bruce Bethers of the USJJF/ USMAF told me that the World Games have a demonstration competition for Aikido.

Latest Discussions