Advice

randy.leopard1

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm new to the Taekwondo world and haven't trained in anything else for many years. I just got my yellow belt last month and noticed that on the certificate, my school belongs to the United Tae Kwon Do Ji Do Kwon Federation. I can find very little information about this organization. My family trains with me (wife, 10 year old daughter and 8 year old son) and we are pleased with just being able to do an activity together and with the service we are receiving. Does anyone have any reviews or general information on this organization and will our belts be recognized by other organizations? I hope this makes sense and any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jido Kwan was one of the original Kwans (schools) that unified to develop Tae Kwon Do. You can find tons of info if you research the history of Tae Kwon Do. Your school may also be affiliated with another org as well, such as the Kukkiwon, ITF or ATA, which would register dan (black belt) ranks.
Typically, belt ranks are only recognised by other schools within the same organization. Jido Kwan schools recognise other Jido Kwan schools. Kukkiwon schools recognise other Kukki schools, etc. If you're expecting to become an olympic competitor, this matters. Otherwise, it probably does not.
Good luck with yoru training.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I say the absolute most important thing is that You and your family are happy with your school. Regardless of which Org, if any, they belong to is irrelevant at this point. If you are just beginning and are happy with everything that is the #1 goal.

Belts recognition and transfer recognized by ORGs is usually only relevant at the Black belt level. Most color belts are beginners and have not been "molded" yet so if you do move, most schools wont have an issue with which color belt you are unless it is a higher one near or at Black.

The type/style of Forms you do will be the factor of belt transferring too. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the transferring of schools and belts unless you plan on leaving. but even then, it will depend on the school you are going to and what they are doing.

which forms do you do?

I still say the MOST important thing is you and your family are happy training at your school.

As for the Ji Do Kwon federation, I would not be the subject matter expert on that. My generation, does not care about the original Kwons and preserving that heritage. As far as I am concerned, the 5 Kwons unified for taekwondo and formed Kukkiwon when I was Born and before I started training. So as far as I am concerned, Its ancient history
icon12.gif

But seriously, there are some who still preserve the Kwons. Punnui could give more answers on this area. He would be better suited to answer your Kwon Specific questions.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good posts. I would only echo that the skill you are building right now will be more important towards 'transferability' than the actual certificate. You only have to read the many recent threads about KKW & ATA transfers to know most school owners will accept transfer belts from any organization with the proviso that the new student bring his skill level up to expectations (if needed).

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good posts. I would only echo that the skill you are building right now will be more important towards 'transferability' than the actual certificate. You only have to read the many recent threads about KKW & ATA transfers to know most school owners will accept transfer belts from any organization with the proviso that the new student bring his skill level up to expectations (if needed).

ABSOLUTELY.

the only time you see or hear people upset is when they are a 5th Dan in 1 style of TKD and the Style they switch to wont recognize that 5th Dan and tells them they are a 1st Dan. It happens but SKILL wont ever be denied!

OP
randy.leopard1

randy.leopard1

White Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate the advice. I'm not sure of all the forms and this may not be answering your question, but the first form was gon chi or "heaven and earth" (i'm probably spelling it wrong) and the form I'm working on now for orange belt is Dan-Gun or "the legendary founder of Korea in the year 2333 BC".

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I appreciate the advice. I'm not sure of all the forms and this may not be answering your question, but the first form was gon chi or "heaven and earth" (i'm probably spelling it wrong) and the form I'm working on now for orange belt is Dan-Gun or "the legendary founder of Korea in the year 2333 BC".

You are doing the ITF forms, I can only echoe what others have said. Enjoy the training and have fun with it.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is the certificate signed by GM Ronald Suggs? If so, then he is a legitimate Kukkiwon certified practitioner who is also has ranks in other arts as well. I want to say Judo and Hurk Choo Kwan Hapkido, and maybe Jujitsu under Professor Wally Jay. I know he is very close to GM LEE Chong Woo who was President of the Jidokwan for about 20 years.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi, I am a former Ji Do Kwan black belt in México. My black belt certificate is only valid in Ji Do Kwan Mexico however when I got inside Hwarang Tae Kwon Do Mexico my actual sambonim make it valid and right now I am a certificated second dan black belt under hwarang tae Kwon Do Mexico.

I have to tell you both certificates have no international validity, the only one's are the KUKIWON dan certificates.

Right now I don't see the need to have the KUKI certs maybe latter, the fact is that I don't need them right now, if a wanted to run my own dojang under my organization humbrella the will be no problem.

We had talk about the certification over the past months and it seems if you want to be a international competitor then you will need the KUKI certification.

Manny

Latest Discussions