advice

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by Antighsiothail, Sep 2, 2018.

1. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

If you are a good teacher and you older student is a good student (both assumed), he should be able to teach basics to brand new students. In fact, he should learn about as much from teaching as he learns from being taught.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. now disabled

now disabled Master Black Belt

Top Poster Of Month

I'm guessing you are not from the Iwama school lol,

Which school are you teaching ?

3. Antighsiothail

Antighsiothail White Belt

(Which school are you teaching ?) Shin Shin Toitsu ( KI Aikido)

4. ShortBridge

ShortBridge Black Belt

The struggle is real. I limit my class size and have had no attrition in years, so I don't turn over that much, but I have expanded a bit, so I have people sufficiently more experienced than others in the same class.

1) You just have to deal with giving them each what they need. It's a lot harder to run a class that way, but unless you want different classes for different levels of student, you have to do it. You could offer the senior student some extra time for private training or just split them up.

2) The senior student will have to drill basics a bit. This feels like a drag to him, but it is actually good for him (or her) up to point. The junior students will conversely be likely to get pushed ahead of their readiness more quickly. This may feel like a win for them and it could be to some degree, but I noticed that my 2nd batch of students were lacking some things that my first was not. When I thought about it, I rushed them through some of the rudiments.

If you haven't already, I would suggest thinking ahead and planning your growth. How big do you want to be and by when? It will help you plan. If this is as big as you want to be, it will work itself out pretty soon, but if you add new people a few times a year, you'll always have these gaps to manage around.

As my dad would say "these are good problems to have".

• Like Like x 1
  5. now disabled

now disabled Master Black Belt

Top Poster Of Month

If I'm ever up that way I'll give you a shout ..

6. Antighsiothail

I'm a long way north, but you would be welcome.

7. Antighsiothail

Gets more complicated, just had a couple join me and they've brought 3 children with them. Twins I think are about 7 and the other one about 9, never had to deal with children before argghhhh. Got to try to work out how to keep the adults going and how to keep the kids interested!