Advice please

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

I want to thank you all for your help. I do have another question, tho. I'm starting to get the "itch" to train again. But I am a littlereluctant about this school. Maybe I should just go back and train only ... no comps or cleaning, or listening to politics. I'll just train, and explain to my instructor that is all I want. What should I say to him (other than just that)?

Or should I go elsewhere? It would be cheaper, for one.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Hey all,

I want to thank you all for your help. I do have another question, tho. I'm starting to get the "itch" to train again. But I am a littlereluctant about this school. Maybe I should just go back and train only ... no comps or cleaning, or listening to politics. I'll just train, and explain to my instructor that is all I want. What should I say to him (other than just that)?

Karatekid this is an answer only you can sum up,you know the school is the value worth the money if so stay if not leave.
Terry

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree that the cost of the school should only be taken at face value. If you were un-happy with your previous school, try other schools to see if there is a different style or style of teaching. Every school is run differently with different aspects emphasized. LOOK AROUND!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Hey all,

Is the price really the issue, Laurie? Or is it that you think cleaning the school shouldn't be part of the curriculum? I'd recommend that you talk to your instructor & tell him what you wanna do. His answer might be "no", however. Perhaps he sees cleaning the school as a way to have students have "ownership" in the school. Ask yourself "how important is this issue to me?" If it's not that important, ok. If it is, that's ok, too. But you'll need to go elsewhere. I'm thinkin'.

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes the instructor asks us to help clean, other times students do it without asking. Cleaning is a way of showing respect and thanking your instructor for the hard work and time that they dedicate to you and your classmates. Have pride in your gym and keep it clean.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Hey all,

I want to thank you all for your help. I do have another question, tho. I'm starting to get the "itch" to train again. But I am a littlereluctant about this school. Maybe I should just go back and train only ... no comps or cleaning, or listening to politics.

It depends on how much is tied into the testing requirements. If the cleaning aspect is one, that's likely going to be a tough sell.

It may be easier to migrate to another school as a BB vs a color belt. Who knows where/what you'll be ranked if you jump schools now...

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
It depends on how much is tied into the testing requirements. If the cleaning aspect is one, that's likely going to be a tough sell.

Yes, it is part of the testing requirements.

Marginal said:
It may be easier to migrate to another school as a BB vs a color belt. Who knows where/what you'll be ranked if you jump schools now...

You have a good point, there.

IcemanSK, yes, kinda. The price is a little out there. The training is good, but like I said, the cleaning thing, the comp thing, the politics, ect is annoying. But like I was told before by a friend (and Marginal just now), that I should just suck it up and stick it out till BB, then go elsewhere, I guess.

But my boyfriend also trains there (he's a BB), and he is all into this stuff. He's on the black belt board, and all that. I hate it. I miss the good ol' days when we just trained together, and he didn't have to do all this extra crap. WE didn't have to do all this stuff (at red belt is when all this crap starts).

Latest Discussions