Advice please

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya all.

I need a little advice on my situation. Well, in the fall, I was all fired up for my 1st gup test (which I passed). Then I had surgery. I trained a little off and on till I healed. Then I was ready to come back full force, and I hurt my knee. I took time off without training. Problem is, I haven't gone back to training (it's been two months), and my knee is healed. I lost the desire to train.

Plus I'm having issues with my dojang. The training is good, but other stuff is taking its toll on me. I had another thread on that somewhere on here. I'll look for it and post it later.

It's like the passion for MA disappeared. I started to snowboard and I love it. I'm adicted. That same passion is what I had for MA, but it's just not there anymore.

Advice anyone?

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Hiya all.

I need a little advice on my situation. Well, in the fall, I was all fired up for my 1st gup test (which I passed). Then I had surgery. I trained a little off and on till I healed. Then I was ready to come back full force, and I hurt my knee. I took time off without training. Problem is, I haven't gone back to training (it's been two months), and my knee is healed. I lost the desire to train.

Plus I'm having issues with my dojang. The training is good, but other stuff is taking its toll on me. I had another thread on that somewhere on here. I'll look for it and post it later.

It's like the passion for MA disappeared. I started to snowboard and I love it. I'm adicted. That same passion is what I had for MA, but it's just not there anymore.

Advice anyone?

Laurie,

My instincts say to just "snowboard your brains out", not think or worry about your MA training, and see how you feel in a few weeks or months, especially after the snow melts. If it's meant to be, your heart will lead you back to training of some kind, somewhere. But, I don't believe you should force the issue. Avoid labeling yourself as a MA-ist, or snowboarder or anything else that would tend to box you into some set of self-created expectations or limits on your pursuit of happiness.
This reminds me a bit of the old saying that I'm sure you've heard:

"If you love something, set it free. If it was meant to be, it will come back in due time".

Good luck!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I had a similar situation recently, but without the snow boarding.

I was in a martial art with the same teacher for a long time. 2 years ago things began to change and my interest and drive to train began to leave me as well. The longer I was there the less I wanted to train. I finally came to a decision that I had to leave and once I made that decision and left I was surprised that I wanted to train again.

I was lucky to find another teacher, not the same style, but a style I use to do and I have my drive back to train again like I use to.

This may or may not be your situation and it may be that you need to take a little time off and just snowboard for a while. It may also be that you just truly love to snowboard and you should go with that.

I use to have a passion for riding motorcycles, I no longer have that and I was given the opportunity to buy another one just yesterday and I just don't want one anymore.

We never stop changing.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
Laurie,

My instincts say to just "snowboard your brains out", not think or worry about your MA training, and see how you feel in a few weeks or months, especially after the snow melts. If it's meant to be, your heart will lead you back to training of some kind, somewhere. But, I don't believe you should force the issue. Avoid labeling yourself as a MA-ist, or snowboarder or anything else that would tend to box you into some set of self-created expectations or limits on your pursuit of happiness.
This reminds me a bit of the old saying that I'm sure you've heard:

"If you love something, set it free. If it was meant to be, it will come back in due time".

Good luck!

Thanks. Good advice. Well, snowboarding season is over (here anyways). So it's just the issue with MA right now. So, I'll take your advice and "set it free" for now, and see what happens.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I had a similar situation recently, but without the snow boarding.

I was in a martial art with the same teacher for a long time. 2 years ago things began to change and my interest and drive to train began to leave me as well. The longer I was there the less I wanted to train. I finally came to a decision that I had to leave and once I made that decision and left I was surprised that I wanted to train again.

I was lucky to find another teacher, not the same style, but a style I use to do and I have my drive back to train again like I use to.

This may or may not be your situation and it may be that you need to take a little time off and just snowboard for a while.

Yea, it's kinda like that. I know if I buy-out my contract and leave, I know the same thing will happen. So I'll just ride it out for awhile. Maybe something will "click" and I'll go back. We'll see.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a break. Have fun snowboarding! Trying to force yourself to do something that your heart isn't into probably won't work!!
After a break, you may regain interest again. Maybe then you could use a fresh start with a different place?

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dont worry about it, everyone goes through things like this. Snowboard your **** off for now, have fun, and enjoy it, and if or when the desire to practice MA comes back, then start practicing. The trade off is however, imo like Mr. Miyagi said, you either Karate yes or karate no, cant Karate guess so, so in your case, I say you are doing the right thing, if the desire is not there anymore you wont get much out of the classes.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laurie, you've had great advice. Just take a break and see if your heart leads you back. I've had a similar problem lately and would prefer just to lead kickboxing right now. I've gotten some rattan sticks and the late Remy Presas tapes and book and will try to work with those. It seems fun to learn and there's another black belt woman who wants to as well. Unfortunate that we don't have a teacher but I have a partner. Its spring as well, so other outside activities abound at this time of year. Maybe in the fall, or sooner, you will have a desire to go back, or you may have found a new passion, who knows? Have fun. TW

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. My girlfriend was a national competitor in snowboarding. She used to compete against Lindsay Jacobellis and basically "retired" to focus on college. She took tae kwon do after that and got addicted, which is where I met her. But with some injuries she's had, she's had to basically stop snowboarding. She went twice this year, as opposed to living on the slopes. I guess the whole point is that it is hard to see something you loved doing slip away from you. But often times, it's for the best, if you're not enjoying it...it's not worth doing...that's how I live my life.

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
Interesting. My girlfriend was a national competitor in snowboarding. She used to compete against Lindsay Jacobellis and basically "retired" to focus on college. She took tae kwon do after that and got addicted, which is where I met her. But with some injuries she's had, she's had to basically stop snowboarding. She went twice this year, as opposed to living on the slopes. I guess the whole point is that it is hard to see something you loved doing slip away from you. But often times, it's for the best, if you're not enjoying it...it's not worth doing...that's how I live my life.

Wow! It's the total reverse for me from your girlfriend. I competed in MA. Got metals, injuries, and such. Now I love snowboarding. That is totally freaky! But yea, you have a good point.

Yea, I guess I need a break. Snowboarding season is over, so maybe I should take the time to think things over about MA.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The key thing to remember is, no matter what you decide to do, MA will be there when you are ready to go back. Sometimes you need a break, and sometimes you find something else that is right for you - and you won't know until you try.

If this helps any, I have a student who had back surgery after 1st gup, and his doctor told him he couldn't come back for a year... just after the year was over, he was working on his house, fell off a ladder, and cracked several ribs (this was right after he told me he was going to come back in a couple of weeks)... but he did eventually come back, and he tested for I Dan last March (2005, I mean, not last month), and is still in class. I've known other people who have been out as long at 10 years, and then came back - relearned whatever they'd forgotten, picked back up, and kept going - one was a 3rd gup and is now a 1st gup getting ready for black, and one is a III Dan who is still catching back up, and may test for IV Dan next year. If you're meant to come back, MA will be there waiting for you when you're ready for it, just like it was for them.

Good luck to you, whatever path you choose.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've taken 2 months off towards the end of last year, and it did me a world of good. I was feeling exasperated over certain "minor" things regarding where I was studying. Now I feel more focused.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Laurie,

One thing to consider, and I'm only basing this on your past posts, but your interest has waned every time you're facing a new promotion. The higher rank you get, the less interested you seem in advancing. Could it be that you're simply making holding a BB into something it's not, and scaring yourself away in the process?

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Laurie,

One thing to consider, and I'm only basing this on your past posts, but your interest has waned every time you're facing a new promotion. The higher rank you get, the less interested you seem in advancing. Could it be that you're simply making holding a BB into something it's not, and scaring yourself away in the process?

Not really. I donno. I got through my 1st gup. That is the hardest part for most people at my dojang (it took two tries, tho). Could it be? My brain is telling me "no, Marginal is wrong," my heart says you're right. What's up with that?!?!?!

Kacey, good point. I am free of my injuries now (for now), but maybe I need a little break is all.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Not really. I donno. I got through my 1st gup. That is the hardest part for most people at my dojang (it took two tries, tho). Could it be? My brain is telling me "no, Marginal is wrong," my heart says you're right. What's up with that?!?!?!

I think it may be because I walked a similar path heading into my testing. I deferred the first time I was elegible, thought about looking into other arts etc, but after a half dozen rationalizations, I realized that I have a habit of backing off before I finish what I start, and that's what ultimately kept me going. I'm very glad that I did.

I know your underlying motivations aren't the necessarially the same as mine, (since you're not me) but they're netting similar results. I'm putting the thought out there as something for you to think about going into this next go 'round.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd recommend talking to your instructors about the issues you have. But taking time off might also be a good idea. You seem to love the art a lot. I'd hate to see you give it up over cleaning the school.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dont stop..... I wanted to quit when I was a red belt, thought I had valid reasons at the time, reasons I cant even remember now. If I had stopped I seriously doubt I'd be living my dreams and be the same person I am now.... I shudder just thinking about it. Sticking with TKD changed my life, all for the better, don't stop.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD Thailand

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know I am late on this one, but you are talking of my two most favorite things to do. First, martial arts runs year-round, take advantage of the seasons. Plus, while traveling for snowboarding, check out the local gym and you may find new things that really excite you again. Most instructors will let you join in a class or two on vacation and it's a great way to learn new techniques and improve over-all. If you really love snowboarding, save up! Snowboarding can also last all year long. Many specialized snowboard camps exist in Oregon, Alaska, and Canada. Just do a goggle search for snowboard camps. And that grand or two that you drop is one of the most fun experiences of your life. Skills sky rocket in that one week intensive session. Plus, everyone loves snowboarding in the middle of August in a t-shirt. But in all of this don't lose what you loved before. Dry land training is a must for any serious athlete period. To help prevent injuries in-season you need to stay in shape out of season. Martial arts can be great for this because it helps you keep a core strength, works with balance and flexability, and keeps you active.

As far as injuries go, wear any protective brace given to you EVERYTIME!! It may feel okay one day and you just don't feel like putting it on. That extra thirty seconds will save you a couple months of rehab after surgery.

Oh, and just cause i've had one or two or a few concussions...wear a helmet...

Latest Discussions