Advice for ending contract early?

S

SmellyMonkey

I made a rookie mistake of signing a long term contract with a McDojo. It made sense at the time to sign a 3 year contract because my wife and I really loved the two masters who taught at our school. As of today, however, both of the masters who were there when we started have left. The grandmaster (who doesn't teach classes himself) hired two new replacement masters. I don't like the hapkido style of one of the new masters, and the other master only knows TKD.

I have a year and a half left on my contract.

Also, the master I am most fond of has opened her own school. My wife and I have had private lessons with her before she opened the school, and of course now we want to be students at her school.

Any ideas how I can get out of this thing?

FYI, the school I attend is Hyun's Hapkido in Chicago. If you are thinking of going to this school, don't. GM Hyun is only looking for your money.

Jeremy

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Did they leave an out for you some where, like the fact you signed up to be with those particular instructors and now there gone.

Or if you show up naked will they ask you to leave and terminated your contract, hey just a thought

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The non confrontational approach -

Usually there is a contract stipulation if you move so many miles from the dojang you can void the contract - tell them you are moving. Proof? give a friend or relatives address that qualifies. Adding, thanks for your time there and you will miss them is a nice touch.

Or just stop payment and hash it out with the collection agency.

OP
S

SmellyMonkey

I like the showing up naked part...but my wife is pretty jealous and I don't think I could get that one by her.

Anyway, I'm looking for some honorable ways to get out of the contract.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems a good heart to heart talk with the owner/operator is out of the question especially if he is only after the money aspect of the school. The instructors are hired employees so going to them would be mute. I understand your need to end it honorably, but is his iron clad contract honorable? People often change their views on training and move on to other things. Having new students sign a three year contract does not seem very honorable in my eyes. Can you offer him a buy out of some kind? I know you probably don't want to pay him anything but if you could come to a mutual amount then you can leave with your honor and credit rating in tact and he can be rid of a student that really doesn't want to be there and could become disgruntled during classes, and avoid the costs of a collection agency etc? Just a thought.

OP
S

SmellyMonkey

You're right. I suppose his lack of honor does not require me to act as honorable as I would normally.

I will call him and see if I can work something out. I really don't want to show up for a face to face chat because I am really intimated by him!

I will let you all know what happens. I'll call him in 5 minutes.

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I dont know how things work that side of the pond but I had a similar problem over here a while ago.

It was much the same, 3 year contract, and I wouldnt even call them Mcdojo they wer'nt that good. Talking to them, no good, tried to suggest a compromise, no good. so I just left.

Next thing collections agents on my doorstep, politely told to foxtrot oscar. Letters demanding payment for the full term of the contract getting more and more threatening as time went on, totally ignored and passed to my solicitor.

Collections agents went too far and broke the law, great the local news loved that and my brief slapped them with a restraining order.
Dumb joe sorry dojo threatened "to send the boys around" found me playing with my Katana, decided to come back later, did and were met by the local cops.

result, in the end had my day in court and the court decided in my favour. No more contract.
It seems that I was not the only one in this situation and the conmen have moved on.

The fact that I was not really interested in my so called credit rating and refused to be bullied paid off.

David

OP
S

SmellyMonkey

I just got yelled at! He thought I was attacking his school because I said we haven't been happy for a few months. I was trying to say we believe our techniques have suffered due to the large class size, but he cut me off after "techniques suffered" saying that "I am trying to do the best I can, don't attack my school!"

Arrggg. Sometimes Korean/American cuture really clash!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Call your state attourney general's office, make a complaint, and you will be told you are SOL or you will be thanked for one more reason to invalidate all the schools contracts; because, you are not the only one. If you and your fellow complaintants can convince the state that you all feel mislead from an ostensibly good situation to a bad one, you just might walk.
Sean

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sorry to hear you got into this bad situation...i'd always heard about schools that make students sign contracts...but never really thought about it til i got on this board and found out how bad it gets sometimes....good luck fighting the good fight

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
SmellyMonkey said:
FYI, the school I attend is Hyun's Hapkido in Chicago. If you are thinking of going to this school, don't. GM Hyun is only looking for your money.

Anyway, I'm looking for some honorable ways to get out of the contract.

I just got yelled at! He thought I was attacking his school because I said we haven't been happy for a few months.

Jeremy
You are getiing the short end of the stick here but...
First you made a commitment to study there for 3 years. A mistake, but one you made of your free will. Now you are trying to get out of your commitment. Understandably, because you are not happy with the training but ditching your committment is not loaded with honor to begin with. He has taught you... don't sign long term contracts. You have attacked his school on a public forum (see above). You are not willing to meet him face to face to discuss it, also not loaded with honor. As as outside observer the only truely honorable ways are pay him the remainder and move on and call it a life lesson or take it to court and take your chances. As a hapkido practitioner you have learned to use an opponents power against him. In this case the contract. Find a loophole and exploit it. Not filled with honor but you have veered from that course already. My 2¢

OP
A

AaronLucia

Contracts..gotta love 'em.

I know when i signed up for the Army i looked over the contract carefully..

The last line on the said

'Anything written or guaranteed in this contract can be changed according to the needs of the Army.'

So much for that. :p

OP
S

SmellyMonkey

Kumbajah said:
You are getiing the short end of the stick here but...
First you made a commitment to study there for 3 years. A mistake, but one you made of your free will. Now you are trying to get out of your commitment. Understandably, because you are not happy with the training but ditching your committment is not loaded with honor to begin with. He has taught you... don't sign long term contracts. You have attacked his school on a public forum (see above). You are not willing to meet him face to face to discuss it, also not loaded with honor. As as outside observer the only truely honorable ways are pay him the remainder and move on and call it a life lesson or take it to court and take your chances. As a hapkido practitioner you have learned to use an opponents power against him. In this case the contract. Find a loophole and exploit it. Not filled with honor but you have veered from that course already. My 2¢
You are right, I have much blame in this matter. I should not have signed such a long term contract, but because I have I have to deal with it.

As for attacking the school in a public foreum, I suppose you are right. I acted in anger and that was not correct. If I could delete that line I would.

Anyway, thanks for your input. During difficult decisions like this it is always good to be humbled.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
AaronLucia said:
I know when i signed up for the Army i looked over the contract carefully..

The last line on the said

'Anything written or guaranteed in this contract can be changed according to the needs of the Army.'

So much for that. :p
man, that is great! thanks for a good bellylaugh.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
as for the law and how it pertains to contracts, do a search at your state governments website pertaining to health club (or something similiar) contract law. believe me, it exists. i went through a very similiar situation not long ago with a kenpo school. like i said, look through the sections of contract law in your states revised statutes. almost all laws pertaining to health club contracts are 99.9% the same from state to state. and yes, as dumb as it sounds, martial arts schools fall under the term "health club" in the eyes of the most state's law books. even if you dont like it, it works in your favor, especially in this case. so find the law, contact your states attorney general office AND the better business bureau, just to get these complaints on the record, and then once again go to your school owner. you'll be in the driver's seat then and he will most likely back down.

if in your instance this guy is running a money-hungry mcdojo, he almost certainly doesnt want this type negative advertising. in addition, with having the thought of written law on your side, he'll be less likely to persure civil financial action against you. almost any lawyer (smart one) will take your case and collections division wont touch his case with, especially with the looming notion of his financial contracts being perhaps unlawful.

hope this helps, good luck to you.

:asian:

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
perhaps you need to have a sit down conversation...at least try to explain yourself and your situation before you take further action

OP
S

SmellyMonkey

After Kumbajah's post, I realized I had to be more honorable and have a man to man chat with the school owner. I gave him another call and we had a long chat. I told him what I liked and did not like about the school and my reasons for leaving. I thanked him for the training his school gave me. Anyway, he offered to cancel the contract if I paid him 1/3 of the balance owed. That comes out to a little over $1000. A ton of money, but again...it was my stupidity for signing a three year contract in the first place. I think I will pay the money and concider it an expensive lesson.

Thanks for all your help with this topic.

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don't forget to walk in naked and then drop into a low horse stance and hand him the money, it'll be a moment he won't soon forget.

I believe in making a lasting impression.

Latest Discussions