Adults wearing poom belts

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well here is the right answer from me, a poom belt is not a probationary black belt it is a person 14 and under that has been given a black belt. It was never intended to be a probationary belt. All my 14 and under wears a poom belt in class but for competition they have a solid Black Belt, I was ask a few years ago by both AAU and USAT to have my BB no matter what there age was to have a solid BB for competition so I did it. Now once my student hit 15 or are that age when testing for there BB it is a solid Black Belt only. Now I use the Red with a center black stripe as there probationary BB for 3 months and no I do not have my poom wear that poom uniform.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. In our dojang, the poom belt is used for poom dan holders (those persons who have satisfied the physical requirements for black belt, but have not yet reached a necessary age of maturity)only.

2. The red is always worn on top, as the students "Black Belt Maturity" has not yet overtaken the caution of the red warning.

3. All adult Dan holders wear Black Belts as a visual indicator between Poom and Dan Ranks.

4. Senior red belts were red belts with stripes to indicate the "senior status"

Personally, I believe there is no uniformity outside of organizations (and only limited uniformity within organizations, at the dojang level). Also, I believe independent schools are free to be independent, but should clearly state that so as to not add to the confusion.

One tree grew many branches, spread her seeds, and created a forest.

TAE-KWON!
Bateman

Spookey sorry but poom belt have always been black on top. So we should all respect the KKW enough to make sure that is adhere too.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, does it matter which color is up and which color is down when wearing a poom belt?

Black is on top in our dojang, but as I mentioned earlier the poom belt in our dojang represents 1st geup for both adults and youth (all those under 15. We differentiate Poom holders (blackbelts under 15) and dan holders by the color on their uniform collar. i.e, all poom and dan holders were solid black belts, but adults dan doboks have solid black collar and junior have a poom collar.

I'm thinking of changing this, so that all my 1st geups will now have red belts with a black tip, poom holders poom belts and uniforms, and dan holders will have black belts with black collars on the doboks.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i remember when we were first introduced to the red/black belt back around 1990. At that school it became first guep and is still that way today. Several other schools still do the same that i trained at over the years. They are all KKW schools. Black belts regardless of age wear a black belt.

Now when attending a USAT or AAU tourn, if its local, they wear the same belt for thier rank, but at regionals or nationals they wear a red belt for first guep and black belt for black belt. age doesnt matter.

Also, we have never used a poom uniform.

Now i may be mistaken, but i dont ever remember the actual COLORS of the belt being a KKW requirement. I know they always issued a Poom cert for children and today its red/black certificate. but the actual colors were never really specified by KKW in the past. KKW never really seemed to focus onthe geups and left that alone. Thier focus was on Black Belts. I know the WTF came out with the competition brackets color belts.

but either way, I know in house we will stick with what we have and when participating in a sanctioned event we will meet the requirements. But thats not to say it wont change or cant be changed. I have often considered revising the belt colors since we have more of the "rainbow" effect, with a Brown, purple and orange, that arent the traditional colors. I was just NEVER fond of TIPS/STRIPES or the LOW/HIGH deal. A new belt seems more of an acheivement than a peice of tape.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I don't think Spookey is KKW...

I think he is. Taekwondo Oh Do Kwan is, and spooky is part of that. Oh Do Kwan's president HAN Myung Hak told me he was Kukkiwon technical advisor. Past Oh Do Kwan president BAEK Joon Ki, who sits on the Kukkiwon High Dan test committee said there has been a resurgence of Oh Do Kwan members applying through the Oh Do Kwan for Kukkiwon Dan.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think he is. Taekwondo Oh Do Kwan is, and spooky is part of that. Oh Do Kwan's president HAN Myung Hak told me he was Kukkiwon technical advisor. Past Oh Do Kwan president BAEK Joon Ki, who sits on the Kukkiwon High Dan test committee said there has been a resurgence of Oh Do Kwan members applying through the Oh Do Kwan for Kukkiwon Dan.

<shrugs> That's certainly one way of looking at it.

I dimly recall reading some posts from Spookey in the past that makes me think he's more aligned with ITF style TKD.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i remember when we were first introduced to the red/black belt back around 1990. At that school it became first guep and is still that way today. Several other schools still do the same that i trained at over the years. They are all KKW schools. Black belts regardless of age wear a black belt.

Now when attending a USAT or AAU tourn, if its local, they wear the same belt for thier rank, but at regionals or nationals they wear a red belt for first guep and black belt for black belt. age doesnt matter.

Also, we have never used a poom uniform.

Now i may be mistaken, but i dont ever remember the actual COLORS of the belt being a KKW requirement. I know they always issued a Poom cert for children and today its red/black certificate. but the actual colors were never really specified by KKW in the past. KKW never really seemed to focus onthe geups and left that alone. Thier focus was on Black Belts. I know the WTF came out with the competition brackets color belts.

but either way, I know in house we will stick with what we have and when participating in a sanctioned event we will meet the requirements. But thats not to say it wont change or cant be changed. I have often considered revising the belt colors since we have more of the "rainbow" effect, with a Brown, purple and orange, that arent the traditional colors. I was just NEVER fond of TIPS/STRIPES or the LOW/HIGH deal. A new belt seems more of an acheivement than a peice of tape.

Right, you don't remember Kukkiwon having belt color requirements because their never was any. Kukkiwon does not require any of it's members to do anything in particular in their dojangs, instructors are free to do what they like. They do have a standard though, and they "recommend" that standard, but, that is up to the instructor.

The standard color belt scheme is based on the Ohhaeng 5 elements colors; white, yellow, blue, red and black. I explained this in a lot of detail in a post from yesterday.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Right, you don't remember Kukkiwon having belt color requirements because their never was any. Kukkiwon does not require any of it's members to do anything in particular in their dojangs, instructors are free to do what they like. They do have a standard though, and they "recommend" that standard, but, that is up to the instructor.

The standard color belt scheme is based on the Ohhaeng 5 elements colors; white, yellow, blue, red and black. I explained this in a lot of detail in a post from yesterday.

right, thats how i remember it. Not disputing it. Just explaining how our school came to be using the Poom belt as 1st geup. proir to that it was a piece of tape. Each of those colors you mentioned had a LOW/HIGH. high was signified by a peice of tape. Schools began adding the off colors to remove the low/high which gave 10 belt colors. now ofcourse I dont have PINK or CAMO!!!!! never will.

But i have thought about going back to a RED belt with A Black tip for 1st Guep. today it is easy to find belts made like this wear as back in the 80s and 90s not so much.

Also, my comment was also towards not seeing the KKW saying Juniors/Pooms had to wear the red/black belt. Someone mentioned being KKW and doing the way they say. I know thats how they do it in Korea and some schools here in the US, but I didnt think it was an actual BELT color reqirement. if it is, then it will be re-considered. I have no problems with changing anything.

Last edited:

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
right, thats how i remember it. Not disputing it. Just explaining how our school came to be using the Poom belt as 1st geup. proir to that it was a piece of tape. Each of those colors you mentioned had a LOW/HIGH. high was signified by a peice of tape. Schools began adding the off colors to remove the low/high which gave 10 belt colors. now ofcourse I dont have PINK or CAMO!!!!! never will.

But i have thought about going back to a RED belt with A Black tip for 1st Guep. today it is easy to find belts made like this wear as back in the 80s and 90s not so much.

Also, my comment was also towards not seeing the KKW saying Juniors/Pooms had to wear the red/black belt. Someone mentioned being KKW and doing the way they say. I know thats how they do it in Korea and some schools here in the US, but I didnt think it was an actual BELT color reqirement. if it is, then it will be re-considered. I have no problems with changing anything.

I think people do what works best in their school, at least I do. Scroll up if you like and read where I posted the detail of the official belt colors.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Really? If practitioners are not part of Kukkiwon, why should they adhere to it?

I was talking about spookey which if memory serves me right is KKW. What each other does withen there own org is there business and I believe each should respect there org to do as it has ask.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Our school (independent chang-hon system) uses poom as black belt candidate. You've learned and tested on all the material for 1st Dan, however you haven't tested it all at once. From that point until you test for black, you really learn nothing new.

Yes, we also have children black belts.

Our Poom belts wear red on top.

The Poom V-neck dobok is not allowed.

Rick

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I din't know they had red belts with a black tip. Nice to know because I'm thinking of just doing what you are thinking of doing.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I din't know they had red belts with a black tip. Nice to know because I'm thinking of just doing what you are thinking of doing.

sorry if i was misleading. I ment, Red belts with black stripes down the middle. Also, i have seen red belts that had the last 1 or 2 inches black, but I think they were custom made. Thats what i was thinking of doing, the last inch or 2 of the belt a black belt tip.

Dan Hobson

White Belt
Reaction score
I think it's wrong to see children wearing black belts, although, once they reach (junior) brown, to keep them from waiting for years until they're old enough to progress any further (belt-wise), I suppose it's alright to see them wearing provisional black belts which are brown and black to show they have reached Shodan Ho, but even then, I'm not too sure. As for adults wearing poom belts, I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as it's not like a 20 year old who is a Judan or something. As long as it's proportional and they have obviously learned the necessary skills, I think it's fine.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why would an adult in a KKW school wear a poom belt? As a probationary BB rank?

I have seen other schools, like ATA, use a red/black belt, but that represents an official rank in their system and is not related to age.

Edit: Just saw the other posts above... Ignore my question.

I study at an ATA school and we use the poom belt for our recommended 1st Dan black belt grade (which is a fancy way of saying probationary black belt), it's applicable to everyone regardless of age.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I study at an ATA school and we use the poom belt for our recommended 1st Dan black belt grade (which is a fancy way of saying probationary black belt), it's applicable to everyone regardless of age.

Yes, sir, that's the way ATA schools do it.

Latest Discussions