adjusting fighting stance

Carter86

White Belt
Reaction score
okay, i go to do jang about 3 times a week and i workout 2-3 times at LA fitness for my strength/conditioning and heavy bag workout. I used to do muay thai so i throw combination of punches, shin kicks, knees and elbows on a heavy bag.

Boxing is something I lack the most so i usually do 'hands only' round. But sometimes I totally forget about keeping my guards up. I think this is a bad habit. A guy who saw me doing heavy bag workout told me that I should keep my hands at my cheekbone level. [boxing style] but then im worried about take downs and body kicks. So I usually keep my hands around my chin level.

Any advice?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay, i go to do jang about 3 times a week and i workout 2-3 times at LA fitness for my strength/conditioning and heavy bag workout. I used to do muay thai so i throw combination of punches, shin kicks, knees and elbows on a heavy bag.

Boxing is something I lack the most so i usually do 'hands only' round. But sometimes I totally forget about keeping my guards up. I think this is a bad habit. A guy who saw me doing heavy bag workout told me that I should keep my hands at my cheekbone level. [boxing style] but then im worried about take downs and body kicks. So I usually keep my hands around my chin level.

Any advice?
A boxer's guard stance is designed for a fight with rules that prohibit strikes to the back of the head and below the belt. It's good for that -- but not so good in a situation where you might be attacked in other areas of the body. If you're doing pure boxing -- you can keep your hands up like that. Take a look at MMA fighters; they rarely adopt a modern boxer's guard; the stance more and more of them are ending up in is much more like a classical boxer's stance or many more traditional martial arts stances, where their hands are positioned a bit lower, allowing more perception and more options for defense and attack.

Your instructors should be shaping your stance according to your system's principles and guidelines.

OP
C

Carter86

White Belt
Reaction score
i see thanks. my instructor told me i have a good fighting stance. i usually keep my hands around my chin level or neck level. As you mentioned, i have to defend myself from various attacks. i thought modern boxing stance is not so useful in hapkido or MMA sparrings.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
A good sparring stance would be standing sideways in a stance. Be sure to keep up with what I like to call a gunsight hand position for protection. Front hand under nose and back hand by ear.

Of course your hands are away from your face but they are in the general area.

Latest Discussions