Additional Curriculum

P

Peter Steeves

Well, to answer the original question, I certified as an instructor through CDT a couple of years ago, and have very intentionally allowed that situation to expire quietly.

I do think the material is good, taught well by good instructors, and absolutely a great answer for people who wouldn't train otherwise. It just wasn't anything new. I teach the exact same things *very* early on in a new person's training, but that's not true of all instructors, I suppose.

In fact, the majority of the other people certifying alongside me also taught at their own martial arts schools, and a few even mentioned that "we never learn all this 'pressure point stuff' in our system . . . " I was a little surprised that the CDT curriculum was so different from what they already did. But, most of the school owners there were from sport-based systems, so in the end it makes sense.

I also had a guest in my dojo recently who worked in some very violent situations in the past. He was more than impressed with the fact that his high-speed, intense training was already a *part* of what we already do at my school - and all we teach is the "old stuff." :)

If you're already training in something that seems very street-wise and effective when you need it (or at least know a few friends who have used it when they needed it), then I don't think you need to look for the newest thing in training. In fact, you might be served by the oldest, since it probably wasn't meant for winning trophies (as long as you can find an older system near its original teaching).

If you are not in that lucky situation, and there is no such place to study, then from what I've seen, CDT is a good source of information. Just find some friends and drill the "techniques" a LOT.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
I'm not a real systems person. I've taken Judo for several years, and i've taken Aiki-Jujitsu in the past, as well as having done boxing and MT. None of them are the holy grail.

I steal what I want, and leave the rest. I find the new 'systems' humorous when people start discussing this system versus that. When they start claiming 'my system is THE system, blah blah blah'.

There are techniques and methods in each system that are advantageous, but overrall they usually represent one man or several men's theories on what have worked for them, or what they think will work in a given situation. As such, I look at martial arts training like a buffet...take what you want, leave the rest for someone else.

Out of most of these marketed systems, 99% is nothing but recycled material we've seen everywhere else. Sometimes 1% is a real innovation. For me, however, if I find a little 1% nugget of innovation in someone else's material, i'm happy.

....What he said.

Latest Discussions