Additional Curriculum

Casey_Sutherland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone out there in MT have additional training in some of the newer systems of CDT, Commando-Krav Maga, F.I.G.H.T., and any of the other various Seminar/sertificate programs that you see in places like Black belt magazine. I am not looking for people who just want to knock it. I am looking for people who have actually tried it.

Do people teach these as separate curriculums or teach them alongside their art?

Curiosity is calling ;)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Casey_Sutherland said:
Does anyone out there in MT have additional training in some of the newer systems of CDT, Commando-Krav Maga, F.I.G.H.T., and any of the other various Seminar/sertificate programs that you see in places like Black belt magazine. I am not looking for people who just want to knock it. I am looking for people who have actually tried it.

I've touched the surface of some Krav Maga. As controversal as it is at times, I personally have found some very good things in that art.

Do people teach these as separate curriculums or teach them alongside their art?

No, it is nothing that I teach, just something for my own personal training.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Casey_Sutherland said:
thank you!

You're welcome!:ultracool

Out of curiosity, are you looking to begin training in any of these arts? If so, what are you looking at or thinking about?

Mike

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
He may be talking about this

www.combatsurvival.com

Wow... the things the come up with to market themselves nowadays.

Never heard of the guy, no references to Krav Maga masters/instructors, no commercial presence in Israel, watered-down Krav Maga techniques, links to Black Belt Mag articles that don't know jack about KM (putting him on the same level as Imi)...

I'll ask Haim Zut, but I don't buy it.

Joe Doakes

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been doing KM for about 5 years, as well as other MA, I must say I've grown to appreciate it very much. I was initially skeptical of it, though I suppose I'm skeptical of any new commercial fighting program.

It's very direct, no room given to chance. If you train the way it's taught ( meaning inflict maximum damage as fast as possible to an aggressor) I believe it has a real-world effectiveness, though I have yet to put it to the test.

Plus, a typical class will try to simulate the adrenaline rush and subsequent and immediate feeling of exhaustion of a real fight, meaning you can look forward to about 20 minutes of hard cardio training prior to KM drills.

It's a great workout:)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Joe Doakes said:
Plus, a typical class will try to simulate the adrenaline rush and subsequent and immediate feeling of exhaustion of a real fight, meaning you can look forward to about 20 minutes of hard cardio training prior to KM drills.

I think this is an important and overlooked aspect of training! It needs to be done. Not every class, pehaps, but often!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
arnisador said:
He takes out big ads in Black Belt etc.

I see his ads all the time. In fact, there is an article on him in the recent BB issue (Jan '06)

As far as him being legit...I'm sure someone thats in the KM circle a bit more than I, would be the best to judge that one.

Mike

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
I see his ads all the time. In fact, there is an article on him in the recent BB issue (Jan '06)

As far as him being legit...I'm sure someone thats in the KM circle a bit more than I, would be the best to judge that one.

Mike

Can you link to it?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Loki said:
Can you link to it?

Looking at the BB magazine site, I don't see any links to this story.

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Man have been fighting each other from the time there were two people. Martials arts will also change as time goes by.....new names,new styles, each claiming to be more effective than before.

Will we ever change ourselves to be more civilize? Most martial arts are very effective if one train themselves in its proficiency. Better to perfect one self and master one thing than try to learn everthing else and master none. (Note: It is also to good to learn other arts too). If you do Judo? It won't hurt to do Kempo. But not every new thing that comes about?

Just my thoughts.......Aloha

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Loki said:
http://www.blackbeltmag.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=141&keyword=moni%20and%20aizik&summary=1&startsum=1

Didn't see the Jan 06 article, but I leafed through this one and though I haven't researched all it's claims in great depth, I feel confident in saying most of them are pure crap.

It seems to be that any time something 'new' hits the scene, everybody has to jump aboard and claim that they are teaching it, or they have a new and improved version, etc. Look at when BJJ first came into the light. What happened? You had people jetting out to CA for some training, and coming back, adding it to their program and making it seem like they've been doing it all along.

Regardless of what 'new and improved' versions come out, I think I'll stick with the KM that is a bit more legit.

Mike

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the statement that people jump on the bandwagon of whats new.

Go back to he 60's and you had Karate, in the late 60's TKD showed up an some othe Koren systems, then the Chiness invation happned, what was next MT?, then BJJ It is a shame that people just dont teach what they know but have to try to become whats new.
Not saying there is anything wrong with learning new stuff but lets make sure it is from a reliable sorce and not go teaching one thing and calling it another

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I asked Haim Zut if he knows of Aizik and he has no clue who the guy is.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not a real systems person. I've taken Judo for several years, and i've taken Aiki-Jujitsu in the past, as well as having done boxing and MT. None of them are the holy grail.

I steal what I want, and leave the rest. I find the new 'systems' humorous when people start discussing this system versus that. When they start claiming 'my system is THE system, blah blah blah'.

There are techniques and methods in each system that are advantageous, but overrall they usually represent one man or several men's theories on what have worked for them, or what they think will work in a given situation. As such, I look at martial arts training like a buffet...take what you want, leave the rest for someone else.

Out of most of these marketed systems, 99% is nothing but recycled material we've seen everywhere else. Sometimes 1% is a real innovation. For me, however, if I find a little 1% nugget of innovation in someone else's material, i'm happy.

Latest Discussions