Adding some creativity to your training.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of us have training sessions where we train outside or in our everyday clothes, to get a better feel for how we're going to move and function while wearing shoes, heels for the women, jackets, on the pavement, grass, etc.

What about things that can be done inside the training hall, such as working on defenses against various attacks while in a seated position or in low light conditions?

IMO, I feel that its good to cover this as we're not always going to find ourselves in the daylight. Adding in some mult. attackers, objects positioned around the room to hinder movement, etc., are all things that can be included.

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS I believe you should always be looking for more ways for training outside the box. AT THIS POINT AND TIME I cannot think of any but they will come for me and when it does I'll write them down.
Terry

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Many of my fellow karate students come from the inner city so my instructors regularly practice "escapes" from bus shelters. It is a good exercise because it gets you thinking about what you would do while seated, and then how to get to the only exit if things start going bad.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Many of us have training sessions where we train outside or in our everyday clothes, to get a better feel for how we're going to move and function while wearing shoes, heels for the women, jackets, on the pavement, grass, etc.

What about things that can be done inside the training hall, such as working on defenses against various attacks while in a seated position or in low light conditions?
Mike
We do occasionally have scenario training from sitting. We are fortunate to have a deli (it is closed when we train) inside the area we train and we sometimes will use a table and chair, then have someone attack from behind, the side, and or sitting nearby at the table. It can be a knife attack, a choke attempt, etc. Sometimes with multiple attackers.

We have also practiced similar situations while sitting on the floor, someone come along and try to kick you, or hit you with something, etc.

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Reality based training is great! You never know when an attack is going to happen.
Pax
Cujo

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Have you practice in your house? Going room to room? Make pretend you are fighting someone who broke into your home.

Using kicks,elbows,punches and etc. moving around the furniture? You may want to do this often? ..............Enjoy.........Aloha

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Have you practice in your house? Going room to room? Make pretend you are fighting someone who broke into your home.

Using kicks,elbows,punches and etc. moving around the furniture? You may want to do this often? ..............Enjoy.........Aloha

Not a bad idea. Considering we should be familiar with the placement of things in the house, we should already have that edge, but moviing around in low light always proves a little challenge.

Mike

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:

GREAT IDEA!! I am going to start doing that.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Have you ever try training in an open field (park of some kind). At first it will seem a little uncomfortable if you have not train in an open area. We prefer to train when there is no one around or in area away from people.

It will feel very different if you always train indoors....try it! .......Aloha

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my SD classes we practice all manner of scenarios

cash point, low light, car, stairwell, weapons etc, i also try to get out side with students too

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I asked the same basic question awhile ago. I didn't get much. But I'll give you my advice, mostly from personnal research.
low to no light: Practice sparring with your eyes closed or blind folded, with both you and your opponent having your hands touch. This is from Ving Tsuen Keun, so for more advice find a school near you.
Sitting: depends on how your sitting. But for the most part, just get someone from your school with experience and have them throw an attack and for a few weeks to a month practice defending yourself from the same attack. Sometimes schools of Aikido, Jui Jitsu, Kempo, Karate, Hwarang do, Judo, and Tang Soo Do teach defence from these postions. Only some times, things change from school to school, and association to association.

Past that I have no knew ideas. Maybe I'll try and find some of the paper work I did. I had a note book were I kept all my tactics, and senarios. I should really practice those more often.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another excellent way to train non-traditionally is to hop shoulder-deep into water.

The resistance of the h-twenty builds strength and speed.

The bouyancy of the water lets you work higher kicks without losing balance.

The distraction of the water builds concentration.

If there's a current or wave action, it works your balance and ability to respond to getting hit.

Both Lee and Ali used to train in the water.

Also, if you suffer any knee or back problems, training in the water reduces the impact to those areas while still allowing you to build the muscles that will protect them once you've recovered.

Peace & Strength,

Jason Brick

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well we train in a school gym and sometimes get the horse things that the gymnasts use and set it up as if it was a bar. I don't mean with pints and stuff being served but you know, we pretend! We've done it before where everyone is standing at the bar quite close together, and the attacker starts attacking from behind or from next to you, as happens in bars sometimes. Quite good to train with everyone bunched around you and with an obstacle there as well restricting your movement as sometimes you are in those situations.

The top of those things are padded, which is a good thing if you're having your head bashed into it repeatedly.

Latest Discussions