Active Shooter Response Plan for schools that decide to arm teachers

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In this case, the office staff is going to be the first point of contact for any threat. Maybe the secretaries need to pack heat?

I wouldnt limit any employees of the school. Not just teachers can be armed but secretaries, lunch staff, janitors, counslers, adminstrators. If they work in the school and want to do it and can pass the background and other evaluations they sould be allowed to defend themselves.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't arm teachers. They're "Union Thugs, hellbent on corrupting our kids and bankrupting our cities." remember?

If you want to do it right - multiple security officers, armed and armored. A building designed to the purpose. Monthly, or at least quarterly response drills. A well implemented consideration of what's an actual defense arm, what's a hunting arm, and what's only really useful for paranoid fantasias and that little kick of adrenaline you get from things that go boom might be useful not as prevention, but as mitigation of lethality. But that costs tax dollars, time and political capital. It costs having a sane discussion without preconcieved notions.

We'll have some theater, a little political masturbation, and a lot of defense of the fantasy of killing waves of governmental commie-nazi-fascist-hypno-druggie-gangers, some anecdotes about shooting bad guys, throw up our hands, and ignore the problem for about six months, at which point some teenager will come into school with daddy's P228, kill 6 people and wound three, and we'll do it all over again, because we can't spend money on schools, we can't spend money on teachers, and we certainly can't discuss what's appropriate armament for a civilian.

This thread is not about gun control legislation. Please do not derail it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about rules of engagement? When does a teacher exit the room with children in it? Does that even occur? Do school personal attempt to engage the shooter? Do they lay and wait?

I think if they have student at the time then they cant leave them they are intrusted to keep them safe then they need to do that. Thats why I wouldnt limit allowing weapons to just teachers allow other staff as well that may not have kids atthe time

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone earlier mentioned open carry vs concealed. Personally, I'd vote for concealed, in most cases. There's no need to tell the bad guys who to be wary of, other than uniformed (and armored) security.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that a containment system of locking doors controlled from an office is an interesting idea. Locking hallway doors to deny access...issues would include blocking evacuation routes as well, but it bears consideration.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

There is a bank I go to that has that system. It has a metal detector in the little lobby area. They also only allow one person at a time in. If more then one enter a security guard tell one of you to step back outside. I went in palne clothes with a gun once and they locked me in the little room and asked if I was law enforement I said yeas showed my badge and they still wouldnt let me in they asked me to use the drive thru or leave my gun in the car.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
the main thing would be shoot no shoot, and close shooting. arm them with pistols and have them train in accuracy and shoot no shoot. simple.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the main thing would be shoot no shoot, and close shooting. arm them with pistols and have them train in accuracy and shoot no shoot. simple.

Maybe not quite that simple, but yeah, the shoot/no-shoot decision is one of the biggest issues here. That's my main worry, and there are indeed ways to address it.

Latest Discussions