Academic Requirements

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're pretty far from the original topic here, but Fiendlover brings up a very unique perspective - that of those who are affected.

And that makes me ask - what is the adult equivalent? Is there one and should there be one? We are basically talking about either time or a well rounded person, so do adults have an equivalent standard - or should they?

I think there is an adult equivalent; it's just more draconian.

An adult either tends to their responsibilities outside of the school, or they can't pay the bills. Or they suffer through divorce. Or otherwise feel the repercussions in their life.

Adults and kids aren't the same. And they don't have the same responsibilities. After a certain point -- we have to accept an adult will handle their own balance of responsibilities.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The adult version might be this:
Our organization requires that adult students (especially black belts) make sure their life is on track before testing, particularly for higher level black belt.
That means, if you have a criminal record, can't keep a steady job, are failing school, or have developed a bad reputation for some reason, you will not test until these things are straightened out.
Much like school-age students with bad grades, we require adult students to have honorable personal lives to test.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Our organization requires that adult students (especially black belts) make sure their life is on track before testing, particularly for higher level black belt.
That means, if you have a criminal record, can't keep a steady job, are failing school, or have developed a bad reputation for some reason, you will not test until these things are straightened out.
Much like school-age students with bad grades, we require adult students to have honorable personal lives to test.

hmmmmmmmmmmm that would be equal.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think there is an adult equivalent; it's just more draconian.

An adult either tends to their responsibilities outside of the school, or they can't pay the bills. Or they suffer through divorce. Or otherwise feel the repercussions in their life.

Adults and kids aren't the same. And they don't have the same responsibilities. After a certain point -- we have to accept an adult will handle their own balance of responsibilities.

True - but possibly putting this in writing will make it seem a bit more fair for the kids who are subjected to this. Adults aren't the same, but we're the example for the younger generation....if I'm out of work, divorced, can't pay my bills, and living in a box.......should I have the right to test? Seems to me that some standard should exist for both groups...if for no other reason than to show the younger students that we are serious about this and that everyone has to comply and be a well rounded overall person.

Agreed....I really think that Martial Arts isn't just physical and requires a more well rounded attitude....but why not uphold the same standard for all. I think your school has it right. It sets a bad standard to tell kids "You have to meet these standards" but tell adults "You just have to pay."

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
While I do understand the theory behind academics and do appreciate it, I've always disagreed about it. Rank advancement should be about achievement in the style or system's marterial. At least that's my very humble opinion.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember years ago, one of my students (a transfer from a different organization-but that's another story) was ready to test. I had been to his house many times because we were the same age and often hung out together. I also knew he and his mom often didn't get along.
Bottom line: we sat down with the class Head Instructor (I was not Master level yet) to discuss his testing. We told him that technique-wise he was ready. However, he would not be allowed to test until he cleared things up with his mother. His personal life was just as important as his technique.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admirable in intention, however, I feel something like that is of no one elses business but he and his mom. No one really knows the nature of the discourse between them. I feel that it should have nothing to do with instruction and advancement.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Admirable in intention, however, I feel something like that is of no one elses business but he and his mom. No one really knows the nature of the discourse between them. I feel that it should have nothing to do with instruction and advancement.

yeah i would agree. its there buisness and it should be cleared up on there own terms not because there instructor is forcing them in order to advance in the ranks.

Bloodwillfollow

White Belt
Reaction score
I can understand as to the fact of a teacher or master using grades as a sort of test to see if you are ready for advancment.
but i do find flaw in the fact that yes different teachers may have a different effect on evryone and so forth but really what ever task you have been givin you should find a way to pass it even if it is good grades...
and if you dont find relevancy in the two and dont think they are tied they are..self disipline in the real world i think would have to be a great test

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It could be viewed as such and there is good evidence, but, there was some famous and incredible martialartists that were uneducated and couldn't read. Thankfully these rules weren't in place for those pioneers of the arts! My only problem with it all is that for me--it's an invasion of your private life. Once one form is allowed any can be used after that. Your private life is your private life. Now, if you are being aggressive with the teaching outside, and it's known, that's something else.

Bloodwillfollow

White Belt
Reaction score
grades have nothing to do with smarts i know trust me.but im not in the situation such as the one you people are discussing but i find if the person isnt mentaly stable than they shouldnt be allowed to carry on.even if that means the master full of wisdom and knowledge might be able to help you out you should most likely listen...but i agree the person should be able to do it on there own and if they cant they arnt ready

Bloodwillfollow

White Belt
Reaction score
but if a wise man comes to you you shouldnt turn him down...and i think to reach the next level you can let down a personal wall (such as privacy)because in the end martial furtherment should overide privacy

Bloodwillfollow

White Belt
Reaction score
than you not sacrificing something will in the end stoping you from achieving a new level in thinking and wisdom..hmmm some little problem as a kid with a mom issue cant be overidin for self advancment...hmmm
i see flaw but i understand as to how privacy can be the up most important..perhaps cuz you are hiding something?
sacrifice is a great tool for advancment --though personal is very important i do agree

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's got nothing to do with hiding anything. No instructor, if you are of sound mind and judgement, has any right to hold back advancement, if qualified, because of a dislike or disagreement about a personal belief, way of living, etc.. That's your business. If I'm a Left winger and want my students to do work in that area, should a never advance a qualified student because of different political views? Religious views? No! It's none of my business or anyone elses. Sacrificing comes with training, blod, sweat and tears. That's good enough without the personal stuff.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
We'll just agree to disagree. For me, I say no to acafdemic requirements as part of rank advancement. If it's something seperate that gains incentives, then fine.

yes i would agree completely. private and martial arts should be separate.

HebrewCossack

White Belt
Reaction score
The school that I am training at as some Academic requirments but they arnt really enforced. I try hard in school but all I can pull are C's. My Master is pretty cool about it. He also happens to be my German teacher.

Latest Discussions