About war by Marine Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is from a book by Marine Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler who by the way was twice awarded the Medal of Honor, for his heroism during several combat tours in Central America. He took part in World War I, the Banana Wars, and the Boxer rebellion in China.

War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses.

I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else. If a nation comes over here to fight, then we'll fight. The trouble with America is that when the dollar only earns 6 percent over here, then it gets restless and goes overseas to get 100 percent. Then the flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag.

I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

There isn't a trick in the racketeering bag that the military gang is blind to. It has its "finger men" to point out enemies, its "muscle men" to destroy enemies, its "brain men" to plan war preparations, and a "Big Boss" Super-Nationalistic-Capitalism.

It may seem odd for me, a military man to adopt such a comparison. Truthfulness compels me to. I spent thirty- three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle- man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.

I suspected I was just part of a racket at the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all the members of the military profession, I never had a thought of my own until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service.

I helped make Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912 (where have I heard that name before?). I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested.

During those years, I had, as the boys in the back room would say, a swell racket. Looking back on it, I feel that I could have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.

The Book
War is a Racket: The Antiwar Classic by America's Most Decorated Soldier

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...the wars before World War 1 aren't exactly the same as World War 2, Korea, Vietnam, the Cold War or the current war against radical islam. The world grew up after World War 1 and learned a lesson that allowing dictators to cross borders and conquer other countries can't be allowed...because they don't stop...it's like eating potato chips...they can't just invade one country...

I think a General in the German army in World War 2 would be a lot different in attitude than a German General today...

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_is_the_most_highly_decorated_soldier_in_US_history

ANSWER What are the criteria for "most HIGHLY" decorated? Major General Smedley Butler of USMC was awarded not one, but two Congressional Medals of Honor. Has anyone else been awared the Medal of Honor twice or more?
ANSWER Actually, 19 soldiers have been awarded the medal of honor twice

http://homeofheroes.com/members/most_decorated/0_main.html

The title "Most Decorated" can be controversial and impossible to pin down based upon such factors as numerous campaign awards, precedence, and even the criteria variations from war to war. The primary purpose of these pages is NOT to identify WHO comes out at the top in any such calculations, but rather to provide ALL MAJOR CITATIONS for some of the military heroes who have been highly decorated multiple times. The "Point System" shown below is intended ONLY to give a general idea for comparison purposes.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And this...

http://homeofheroes.com/moh/history/history_double.html

Since the reviews and changes of 1917 the laws governing award of the Medal of Honor have ended all DOUBLE awards of the Medal of Honor. All other awards in the Pyramid of Honor can be awarded multiple times for different acts, each successive award noted by a DEVICE worn on the ribbon for the first award. A soldier may be nominated repeatedly for the Medal of Honor, indeed during the Vietnam War Special Forces hero Robert L. Howard was submitted for the Medal of Honor three different times before he was finally awarded the Medal. But the Medal of Honor may now be awarded ONLY ONCE.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When Hitler was invading his neighbors and sending people to the death chamber I don't think "the racket" was a big deal in comparison....

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
anti war people taking a warrior's words out of context is as amusing as atheist quoting the bible

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
anti war people taking a warrior's words out of context is as amusing as atheist quoting the bible

Atheists understand the Bible better than Christians. Atheists have actually read it.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You don't understand how the racket created Hitler.

Yup, the stuff that happened between WW I and WW II and the money demanded by the allies to be paid by Germany had a big part of creating Hitler. However once he was there and committing the atrocities that he is responsible for it is a different thing. However the rackets before that did go a long way towards creating him

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Atheists understand the Bible better than Christians. Atheists have actually read it.

I wasn't aware of that. Why in the world would atheists do that? I don't spend a lot of time reading Hindu or Budhist religious works. But may that's just me.

I do take your point that a lot of people who call themselves Christian don't read the Bible as often as they should, if at all. As it happens however, some do, and I do read it. Every day if possible.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup, the stuff that happened between WW I and WW II and the money demanded by the allies to be paid by Germany had a big part of creating Hitler. However once he was there and committing the atrocities that he is responsible for it is a different thing. However the rackets before that did go a long way towards creating him

I don't think it was "rackets" so much as a world wide depression that enabled Hitler to come to power. The depression and prohibition probably had more to do with creating the "rackets" in the classic sense. If you want to call business a racket, I guess some could be said to be something like that. Do some businesses engage in illegal or immoral practices? Since it seems to happen these days I expect it did back them as well.

I haven't read the book that quote comes from nor do I know anything about that Marine general. I will try to find the time to at least learn something about General Butler.

FWIW, if i means anything to you, there was a very respected General of the Army who became president, and warned people against the industrial-military complex.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't think it was "rackets" so much as a world wide depression that enabled Hitler to come to power. The depression and prohibition probably had more to do with creating the "rackets" in the classic sense. If you want to call business a racket, I guess some could be said to be something like that. Do some businesses engage in illegal or immoral practices? Since it seems to happen these days I expect it did back them as well.

I haven't read the book that quote comes from nor do I know anything about that Marine general. I will try to find the time to at least learn something about General Butler.

FWIW, if i means anything to you, there was a very respected General of the Army who became president, and warned people against the industrial-military complex.

Definitely part of it but there was a lot more to the history of it that contributed to it as well. I am not going into a lot of detail about it here because I don't have the time but the history of it is out there if you are interested.

Suffice to say the money demanded of Germany by the victors and their allies as well as the treatment of the German people after the war by some of those that occupied it and add to that the grab for land from the victors and their allies (The country of Prussia completely vanished from the face of the earth from that) it does begin to look a bit like Racketeering on the part of those that won and maybe, just maybe that is what changed Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler view of things

As for the presidential General, yeah I know about that, but that is not the topic at hand

In all honesty I do not really have a horse in this race, I just found it very interesting that a Marine Major General took up this view, so interesting in fact that I will be reading the entire book

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that. Why in the world would atheists do that? I don't spend a lot of time reading Hindu or Budhist religious works. But may that's just me.

I do take your point that a lot of people who call themselves Christian don't read the Bible as often as they should, if at all. As it happens however, some do, and I do read it. Every day if possible.

it is sometimes part of becoming Atheists. The ones I have talked to did not grow up in a non theistic environment. I prefer to call them religion damaged...you know, questioning the logic behind the hate in the 'Message of Love'

but that's a side point.

Not to mention the bible is an interesting read on many levels if you do peel the religious layer off. It is a record of the olden times, although a bit prettied up....the New Testament...I guess as well, to a lesser extend.

Around here the Christians read the Bible too much it seems, and still don't grasp the contradictions. But it's always a good source if you need a quote above reproach to cement your point of view, no matter how bigotted or ridiculous...no matter how badly the quote is taken out of context or contradicted in the next paragraph/book.

back to the topic at hand though...

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
it is sometimes part of becoming Atheists. The ones I have talked to did not grow up in a non theistic environment. I prefer to call them religion damaged...you know, questioning the logic behind the hate in the 'Message of Love'

but that's a side point.

Not to mention the bible is an interesting read on many levels if you do peel the religious layer off. It is a record of the olden times, although a bit prettied up....the New Testament...I guess as well, to a lesser extend.

Around here the Christians read the Bible too much it seems, and still don't grasp the contradictions. But it's always a good source if you need a quote above reproach to cement your point of view, no matter how bigotted or ridiculous...no matter how badly the quote is taken out of context or contradicted in the next paragraph/book.

back to the topic at hand though...

Thanks for your reply.

I understand your viewpoint. I would only disagree that first, I don't think there are contradictions in the Bible. I believe there are a few things we don't understand fully yet. I think some people tend to look for problems in the Bible, and think they have found some when they are as you said, only grabbing things out of context to bolster their particular point of view. I also don't see hate in the message of love in the Bible.

I certainly agree that all people who call themselves Christians are not. And some who may be, haven't fully given themselves to trying real hard to practice what they know they should be doing. Anger, prejudice, inability to give up worldly pleasures, all and more contribute to people not following the things they learn in the Bible about how they should act. I guess all of us, Christian or not, sometimes fail in how we act.

Those who wish to be considered Christian, but are not, and even some who are but have not committed themselves to right living, or backslide, give a bad name to those who try to do right. I just hope people don't try to paint everybody with too broad a brush.

And like you, I'm not trying to take this thread off course, just answering your comment. I understand not everyone will agree with me, as I often don't agree with others' point of view. But probably if someone really feels the need to continue this, it should be in another thread.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I understand your viewpoint. I would only disagree that first, I don't think there are contradictions in the Bible. I believe there are a few things we don't understand fully yet. I think some people tend to look for problems in the Bible, and think they have found some when they are as you said, only grabbing things out of context to bolster their particular point of view. I also don't see hate in the message of love in the Bible.

I certainly agree that all people who call themselves Christians are not. And some who may be, haven't fully given themselves to trying real hard to practice what they know they should be doing. Anger, prejudice, inability to give up worldly pleasures, all and more contribute to people not following the things they learn in the Bible about how they should act. I guess all of us, Christian or not, sometimes fail in how we act.

Those who wish to be considered Christian, but are not, and even some who are but have not committed themselves to right living, or backslide, give a bad name to those who try to do right. I just hope people don't try to paint everybody with too broad a brush.

And like you, I'm not trying to take this thread off course, just answering your comment. I understand not everyone will agree with me, as I often don't agree with others' point of view. But probably if someone really feels the need to continue this, it should be in another thread.

It's personal experience.
However we'd drift of into the question on who of the self-proclaimed Christians is actually one, a tricky deal since they all believe they are, and possibly the only true ones.
Kind of trying to separate the true patriots from the posers...

Latest Discussions