AAU getting a chance

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why is it the AAU cannot send there best athletes to the Olympics, I thought America was about fair and unbias play for all athletes to have a shot in the Olympics. When did TKD become a dictratorship with only one org. running the show and only sending what they want and not the best this land has to offer? Can somebody explain how this is fair?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why is it the AAU cannot send there best athletes to the Olympics, I thought America was about fair and unbias play for all athletes to have a shot in the Olympics. When did TKD become a dictratorship with only one org. running the show and only sending what they want and not the best this land has to offer? Can somebody explain how this is fair?

Terry, we both know how the IOC works—they are a monopolist organization whose primary mandate is the expansion of their own organization and milking every last nickel of profit out of their market. Their annual gross revenues are on the order of $5–10 billion, vastly higher than the education or healthcare budgets of a substantial number of the nations belonging to the Olympic movement. Everything they do is designed to ensure smooth operation and total control over their local kingdom in each of their member nations. 'Fair' is something totally off their radar screen.

I mean, from their point of view, they own the franchise. So they get the rights to assign that franchise to whoever shells out the most and gives the best return...

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, we both know how the IOC works—they are a monopolist organization whose primary mandate is the expansion of their own organization and milking every last nickel of profit out of their market. Their annual gross revenues are on the order of $5–10 billion, vastly higher than the education or healthcare budgets of a substantial number of the nations belonging to the Olympic movement. Everything they do is designed to ensure smooth operation and total control over their local kingdom in each of their member nations. 'Fair' is something totally off their radar screen.

I mean, from their point of view, they own the franchise. So they get the rights to assign that franchise to whoever shells out the most and gives the best return...

Yes but the Olympics are about fair play and this not being fair, so why is this.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes but the Olympics are about fair play and this not being fair, so why is this.

I dunno&#8212;the dirtiest sport judging I've ever seen have been at Olympic events (remember that French figure skating judge?)&#8212;the deal-making and corruption there are legendary. From what I've read, there's nothing new about that&#8212;the ancient Greek Olympics were the same, according to classical historians! :D

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
if it makes you feel any better, AAU judo is in the same boat.

jf

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
personally i think too much prestige is attached to the olympics. not that the athletes don't deserve recognition, but i kind of like AAU judo existing outside of the mainstream judo world. we get a little more time on the ground, sometimes have newaza competitions, & generally are a little more free than some olympic obsessed clubs that try to force international-level competition trends on club & regional level players. i understand your frustration though.

jf

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
TED STEVENS ACT!

The AAU does not qualify, nor will it ever...in its current state.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TED STEVENS ACT!

The AAU does not qualify, nor will it ever...in its current state.

Can you explain Please, I do not know what that is.

By the way hello Master Southwick longtime no hear.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry was unable to open.

Wapedia < Home Wiki: Amateur Sports Act of 1978 The Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act establishes a United States Olympic Committee and provides for national governing bodies for each Olympic sport. The Act provides important legal protection for individual athletes. [1] Prior to the adoption of the Act in 1978, the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) represented the United States on international competition matters and regulated amateur sports generally. The AAU had adopted arbitrary rules which prohibited women from participating in running events and banned any runner who had raced in the same event as a runner with a shoe-company sponsorship. Congress adopted the Act in response to criticisms of the AAU, effectively removing that organization from any governance role. The AAU now continues as a voluntary organization largely promoting youth track. The Act charters the US Olympic Committee, which in turn can charter a national governing body (NGB) for each sport, such as USA Swimming, the United States Ski Team or the United States Figure Skating Association. Each NGB in turn establishes the rules for selecting the United States Olympic Team and promotes amateur competition in that sport. The Act requires that active athletes (defined as amateur athletes who have represented the United States in international amateur competition within the last ten years) must hold 20 percent of the voting power of any board or committee in an NGB. The Act also provides athletes with due process and appeal rights concerning eligibility disputes. The Act gives exclusive rights of usage of the words "Olympic" and "Olympiad" to the Olympic Committee. [2] The Committee used this act to sue other organizations which used this term "Olympics", such as the Gay Olympics. Contents: 1. See also 2. Notes 3. External links 1. See also * Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act 2. Notes 1 | references-column-count references-column-count-{{{1}}} }} }} }}" > 1. 36 U.S.C. § 220501 2. 36 U.S.C. § 220506 3. External links * Text of Act * International Olympic Committee Website * US Olympic Committee Website Category: Sports in the United States The article "Amateur Sports Act of 1978" is part of the Wikipedia encyclopedia. It is licensed under the terms of the GNU FDL. * "Amateur Sports Act of 1978" on the wikipedia website * Page history * Discussion * Edit this page modified: 2008-09-25 10:15:12 Home Wapedia: For Wikipedia on mobile phones

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Essentially the Ted Stevens Amateur Sports Act says that a multi-sport organization (i.e. AAU) can not be the National Governing Body for sports in the Olympics. Therefore the US Taekwondo Union was created from the AAU TKD program many years ago as a separate organization.

The US Taekwondo Union was reorganized/renamed USA Taekwondo I think in 2004 when the United States Olympic Committee threatened to decertify the organization.

It used to be that the AAU was not as competitive as the USTU/USAT. That is changing as many "name" competitors compete on both circuits.

Latest Discussions