A sad day

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate to see that we've lost another great man like him. He was from an era when the hero didn't need steroid enduced muscles to be great. Wasn't he decorated for valor in combat? I know that he was a tail gunner on a B-29 in WWII.

P

pknox

Originally posted by theletch1
Wasn't he decorated for valor in combat? I know that he was a tail gunner on a B-29 in WWII.

I did not know that. Makes me respect the man even more.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did not know that. Makes me respect the man even mor

Yep, a great number of actors were members of the military in WWII. Not in admin or war bond jobs either. Real, bloody, terrifying combat and they volunteered for it.

Audey (sp) Murphy was the most decorated soldier in WWII.
Eddie Albert (from Green Acres) was in the Navy as a landing craft pilot. He was instrumental in taking out several machine gun nests during the landing at Tarawa. And many more. I had a file around here somewhere about a lot of them. If I can find it I'll post more of them.

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow! I never knew about all of those people before. Thanks for posting the link. I seen even Burgess Meredith served. :asian:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great link, thanks for posting!

Cthulhu

P

pknox

Captain Kangaroo was a Marine? I never would have guessed that. No wonder Mr. Greenjeans never tried any funny stuff. ;)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by theletch1
I hate to see that we've lost another great man like him. He was from an era when the hero didn't need steroid enduced muscles to be great. Wasn't he decorated for valor in combat? I know that he was a tail gunner on a B-29 in WWII.

The obituary that I read in the Chicago Tribune said that there was some question as to whether he had exaggerated the extent or nature of his military service:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/obituaries/chi-0309010213sep01,1,6559203.story

(Registration required.)

The link on which celebrities served where is neat!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just watched the 1960's western "The Magnificent Seven" on DVD last night. I don't usually pick up old westerns, but damn good flick!

I thought to post it because Charles Bronson was one of the "7."

:asian:

P

pknox

In my opinion, that is one of the best action films of all time. It is supposedly based on Kurosawa's Seven Samurai -- try watching them back to back if you ever get the chance. Great way to spend a rainy afternoon.

Latest Discussions