A Rose By Any Other Color isn't Just A Rose.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting article about the meaning of colors and flowers
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/89450/what-that-rose-says-about-you
1. Red Roses - Love and romance
2. Black Roses - Vengeance
3. Blue Roses - Mystery and intrigue
4. Pink Roses - Gratitude and appreciation
5. Purple Roses - Love at first sight
6. White Roses - Innocence and purity
7. Green Roses - Fertility
8. Yellow Roses - Joy and friendship
9. Lavender Roses - Enchantment
10. Orange Roses - Enthusiasm, passion

1. Roses - Love
2. Orchids - A belle
3. Iris - My compliments
4. Daisies - Innocence
5. Tulips - Declaration of love
6. Calla Lily - Beauty
7. Amaryllis - Splendid beauty
8. Hydrangea - Heartfelt
9. Anthurium - Hospitality
10. Daffodils - Chivalry
11. Chrysanthemums - Fidelity
12. Carnations - Pride and beauty
13. Lilacs - Youthful innocence
14. Birds of Paradise - Joyfulness
15. Tiger Lily - Wealth, pride
16. Peony - Bashful
17. Anemone - Anticipation
18. Sunflowers - Pure thoughts
19. Aster - Patience
20. Gladiolus - Strength of character
I wonder how the Yellow Rose of Texas could be the state flower when it's (unofficial) motto is "Welcome To Texas... Now Go Home!" :uhyeah: (j/k)
The type of flower and it's (traditional?) meaning is interesting. Bundle the various types together and say it all... provided of course... the one you give them to knows the meaning as well as you do.
I tend to give a rose to my "first dates" they tend to be yellow or some other color than red. Interesting how purple means love at first sight. Me thinks I want to go out and get a bunch of those. Because I fall in love all the time at first sight :D
What different color roses have you given to your SO or what types of flowers do you usually use to convey your feelings? Would you give them to your Sensei? Say a bunch of Pink roses?? Hmm...

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
.....meaning of colors and flowers ...
7. Green Roses - Fertility
So THAT'S what the deal is with green M&M's! :D

What different color roses .. or what types of flowers do you usually use to convey your feelings? Would you give them to your Sensei? Say a bunch of Pink roses?? Hmm...
For Sensei, I think I'll just stick with the 'mums.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yellow Roses = Joy and friendship

TEXAS!!!! Can't be :uhyeah:

Xue turns runs and jumps behind nearest rock for cover :D

Look we here in Texas will open our doors to you just as soon as you leave!!!!!:asian:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. I've not really hooked into the symbolic meaning of various flowers, tho' I know a little about what gemstones and trees mean, especially trees.

It's entertaining to 'read' our garden in those terms, particularly when I note that tulips and chrysanthemums guard the front door and a lavender rose sits at the french doors :D.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a very charming bit of punning on flower names and symbolism in Hamlet, when Ophelia, driven mad by grief over her father's death, is handing out flowers to her brother and says, `There's pansies, that's for thoughts.' There are folk traditions about this, but it should be noted also that English 'pansies' is a phonetic variant of French pensées, and there is a very healthy body of belief amongst philologists that the word for the flower comes from the French. So when Claude Lévi-Strauss titled one of his early works on structural anthropology La pensée sauvage, he was playing on that pun: pensée sauvage = wild, free thought (much of structuralist anthropology does seem like a kind of free association of semantic oppositions) = wild pansies = wild thought again...

(It was alas mistranslated in English as The Savage Mind, which runs totally against the grain of L-S' perspective (there is no difference in his view between 'savage' and 'civilized' mind; all thought proceeds in the same way, etc.))

Latest Discussions