A question regarding kenpo quality

Rich_Hale

Green Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
And I would only add sir, that if immediately effectiveness is your goal, than there is nothing 'wrong' with it as said. Only if you have loftier goals might that change, so the differences are philosophical and goal based.

You know Doc,

I can spend 3 hours writing five pages, and you hit the nail on the head in one sentence.

We gota love ya.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
Mr. Hale-

Once again, I'd like to take the time to Thank You, for a very informative reply!:asian: Your post does make alot of sense and it has a similarity to conversations I've had with a certain EPAK instructor.

Now, this question is not at all meant to slam the person I'm about to mention, as I've never met the man, and have only seen him move on video. I guess where I was going with my post was, looking at Mr. Paul Mills, it seems like he a) has made quite a few changes to the art and b) takes alot of heat for it. That being said, and after reading your post, would he fall into the category of depriving people of the way the technique was really done?

Now, I know that when questions like this are asked, people tend to say, "Why don't you call Mr. Mills yourself and ask him personally?" Not saying that this is what you may/may not say, but I'm simply looking for some positive feedback. You've obviously been around the art many, many years longer than I, so I look forward to hearing the thoughts on someone who was there, training with Parker.

Mike
Well for me, I would suggest that Mr. Parker never ever gave a definitive way to perform any technique ever. Even his business version only contained ideas. So you might surmize that these 'ideas' are not presented, but many of those were from dubious sources and origins predicated on Mr. Parker's own personal goals for a particular entity. The important thing to remember is no one is wrong, unless what they do doesn't work and they blame it on Ed Parker.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rich_Hale said:
Mike,

The below information was taken directly from Mr. Mills web site. http://www.akki.com

To me, he is clearly giving credit where credit is due (to Mr. Parker), and seems willing to let his ideas stand on their own during the test of time.

I will also say this. Mr. Parker spoke very highly of Paul Mills. He did not speak highly of everyone who he provided lessons to. Not that he spoke ill of anyone, but if he liked someone and he approved of their art, he would say so.

In direct answer to your question, I would say Mr. Mills is not depriving anyone of Ed Parker's Kenpo, because he makes no claims to be teaching Ed Parker's Kenpo. He only states that his own art of Kenpo is based on Mr. Parker's Kenpo.

Welcome to the

American Kenpo Karate International Association
The American Kenpo Karate International (A.K.K.I.) is headed by Mr. Paul Mills. The schools and clubs of the A.K.K.I. have very skillful and knowledgeable instructors that teach the art as outlined by Mr. Mills. The A.K.K.I. has Ed Parker's Kenpo System at it's base, but has expanded the curriculum to include many new empty hand, stand up grappling, ground fighting, knife (single & double) and stick (single & double) material. To learn more about what the A.K.K.I. is all about read the A.K.K.I.'s Mission Statement.
One of the biggest differences in the way people execute their actions in the A.K.K.I., when compared to other associations and groups, is the use of the master key "Rhythmic Timing Patterns". All of the updates and new material in the A.K.K.I. include the use of these timing patterns. They help the practitioner move with explosive and powerful action. The study of the rhythmic timing patterns are at the base of the Paul Mills Kenpo style. All of the new A.K.K.I. curriculum also follows Mr. Mills philosophy that "Structure Governs Function".
This updated material includes progressive one and two man interactive training drills, techniques, forms, sets and freestyle. For example: Mr. Mills has consolidated short and long forms 1-3 into "Form1", "Form 2" and "Form 3" and then expanded the original platforms to include new ideas and curriculum not currently being used in any other association. There are different levels to each form - standard and black belt versions. This is so that as skill and proficiency increase; there are more ideas of self defense to learn and explore. Part of the advanced versions include filling the gaps, more ideas on expanding into the gaseous state, and exploring rhythmic timing patterns not previously addressed.

A sample of the new empty hand techniques include; "Divided Fury", "Darting Viper" and "Rising Thunder". New knife techniques include "Swirling Lance" (armed vs. armed) and "Intercepting Lance" (empty hand vs. armed). Club techniques include "Whipping Tempest" (armed vs. armed - offensive), "Colliding Storm" (armed vs. armed - defensive) and "Eye of the Storm" (empty hand vs. armed). These are but just a few of the benefits of membership in this association. These changes and updates have made the A.K.K.I. brand of American Kenpo a powerful and modern system of self-defense to learn and study.

Mr. Hale,

Again, thanks for a great reply. As I said, this was not, or is not a slam on Mr. Mills. Personally, I think that he has done what Mr. Parker himself probably would do, if he were still with us today...make innovations, improvements, etc. to the art. I guess I was a bit confused when I saw this:

http://www.akki.com/indexs/indexpage.htm

I notice techniques that have the same name, but with an * next to them, denoting that they are the same name, but have had minor or major changes to them. The ** signifies a new technique.

Regardless of what he is/is not doing, he is still doing Kenpo. He obviously has many students who like his method.

The Kenpo tree is very large and has many branches, Mr. Mills being one of the branches. Hes training and spreading the art, and thats all that matters IMHO.

Mike

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Very informative posts, Mr. Hale. It's great to have you on this board. :asian:

Ditto to what Jonathan said.

Thank you all very much for the explanations :asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rich_Hale said:
Dear Dennis,
Of course you know I meant no disrespect in not mentioning your name among my “very” short list of “top notch” instructors. As I was compiling the list, and remembered to mention my ex-wife, I figured I was safe.

And when I said it isn’t the instructor’s responsibility to maintain, or uphold, the standard of Kenpo. I was writing from “student” perspective and trying to establish the concept of “student-beware” to our readers. On the other hand, as a teacher of Kenpo, and looking at it from a teachers perspective – I agree with you wholeheartedly.

By the way, I’ll be in Scottsdale later this month. I’ll be sure to stop by and say hello.

I was just kidding with you ..... I took NO offense what so ever.... just my way of saying hi....:)

I look forward to seeing you in late April.... [I got your email]
(my email address is [email protected] for anyone that may not have it)
or you can call me @ 602.469.1209
Kenpoaloha,
Dennis Conatser

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
I was just kidding with you ..... I took NO offense what so ever.... just my way of saying hi....:)

I look forward to seeing you in late April.... [I got your email]
(my email address is [email protected] for anyone that may not have it)
or you can call me @ 602.469.1209
Kenpoaloha,
Dennis Conatser
WHY WOULD ANYONE CALL YOU? YOU DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE, RETURN MESSAGES, OR STOP BY WHEN YOU'RE IN TOWN.

rudy fox

White Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Parker influenced many and was therefore influenced by many. While the concepts and logic are his, the words used to describe them come from many.

Ed Parker influenced men like Mr. Planas and Mr. Wedlake, who inturn influenced Mr. Steve Hatfield...who influences me. To teach me, they have refined the system.

Refining does not mean they diminished the quality of the system. Quite the contrary.

I've read Mr. Parker's books. I do not believe it was his intent for his system to become like the traditional systems he eschewed. I think he wanted us all to logically learn our basics, learn the techniques, and adapt/adopt them to our own uniqueness.

Latest Discussions