A question for those in the know...

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Roley or Seago...perhaps you can help me with something. I trained as a kid in a family bujutsu system in Hawaii, which supposedly contained elements of ninjutsu. This was well before the Hayes-inspired ninja explosion of the late '70's/early '80's, so nobody even really knew then what ninjutsu was in the general sense.

Let me preface this -- in light of recent thread issues -- by saying that I make no claims about being a ninja, teaching ninjutsu, etc. I'm simply curious about a thing I was taught, to see if it has any analogues with 'kan arts, and what it may be callled so I can learn a bit more about it for my own curiosity. I do not recall specifics about lineage, ruy names, etc., but not for the purposes of being evasive...I was a kid; such things didn't really matter to me.

Hoping I've got enough disclaimers out there, let's try the question:
I was NOT taught ninjutsu as sneaking around in black pajamas. Rather, I was taught that it was a series of psychospiritual techniques/approaches, designed primarily to establish contact with tutelary spirits and ancestors as sources of information for growth and healing. A sort of spiritual internet of elemental geists, real ancestors (bloodline), and ryu ancestors (spirits of those who have gone before along this same path).

No, I can't bend spoons with my mind, and am not interested in that. I have, however, had some excellent intuitions about anything from combat circumstances as a bouncer, to treatment protocols or diagnoses as a doc (like someone whispering in my internal ear what was wrong with a person, and what tests and treatments needed to be done to assist them, as they walk into my office for the first time).

The ideas I remember included that these channels are always open; we just enhance our awareness of them. As a doc, I'm interested in widening the view hole for treatment purposes.

I realize this may sound a little froo, but I'm hoping it will resonate with something not too far from the "known" in trad. nin. Hoping there are resources/exercises available for widening the aperture of perception. If it helps, I do remember joining the firewalk at the bon dance at the Hongwanji temple as part of the attitudinal training piece. (Yes, I'm familiar with the research debunking firewalking...only mention it as a possible cultural/historical clue as relating to my question).

Looking forward to your feedback,

D.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Many bujutsu ryuha contained "elements of ninjutsu", so that in itself would not be all that surprising.

As far as the "spiritual" aspects you bring up. . .I'm not qualified to address that, especially on the basis of so little information (so far). Care to mention the name of the family system, if it has one?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I was NOT taught ninjutsu as sneaking around in black pajamas. Rather, I was taught that it was a series of psychospiritual techniques/approaches, designed primarily to establish contact with tutelary spirits and ancestors as sources of information for growth and healing. A sort of spiritual internet of elemental geists, real ancestors (bloodline), and ryu ancestors (spirits of those who have gone before along this same path).

It honestly does not sound much like ninjutsu as it is taught in Japan and that I can find in the historical references to it. It may or may not be some sort of Japanese tradition- your description is a little short on details. A lot of arts have some sort of metaphysical aspect, but that is not exlusive to ninjutsu. Without knowing more, I may say that you were being tricked, or your memory may be playing tricks on you in your old age. I owuld not say it was ninjutsu unless I knew more. Not that it woudl be without merit, just that it should not be termed ninjutsu as I know it from research and observation in Japan.

Latest Discussions