A question for Police Officers...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
Another emergency weapon of sorts on a plane is an empty soda can, which, with a little practice, can be torn in half and fashioned into a sharp weapon in
about 3-5 seconds. Certainly not as effective as a real blade, but better than nothing, and potentially very damaging.
In fact, soda is served on the plane and you can ask for them to leave the can. You also could buy your own can of soda at an airport shop and carry it on.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Thing is, if an altercation takes place and you defend yourself using martial knowledge, you may then be required to register yourself as a deadly weapon in the precinct where you live and possibly where you work, and possibly in the precinct where you defended yourself with your hairstyling tool or other substitute weapon.

If you are joking please forgive me, but the "registration" thing is a myth...although it would be tempting to screw around with a person who came to the station to do so. :)

http://www.tafkac.org/faq2k/legal_2007.html

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Satt said:
I know you guys/gals probably get this kind of question all the time, but what would you as a "cop" recomend for a legal self defence weapon??? I live in Tennessee and I think they are pretty weapon friendly here. Also does anyone know of a really good website for every weapon legality in certain states??? I would appreciate the info. Thanks in advance.

Carry a bag of dog poop around with you. If someone attacks you, rub it on your hands and chase them. Sorry, I couldn't help it. :karate:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
If you are joking please forgive me, but the "registration" thing is a myth...although it would be tempting to screw around with a person who came to the station to do so. :)

http://www.tafkac.org/faq2k/legal_2007.html
Really? I'll have to find the case in California where a female martial arts student who went balls out on an attacker was required to register - even quoted the cop.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To get back to the original topic. I am quite skilled in nunchaku and if you have any talent with the weapon I recommend this to you.

A keychain.

I carry the keychain I got from my highschool for graduation, with the long strap. Put the right keys and weight on the end and you've got a cutting, speedy, and elusive weapon that you need for day to day life. If you get skilled enough you can use it as a grappling weapon (mostly for chokes).

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Really? I'll have to find the case in California where a female martial arts student who went balls out on an attacker was required to register - even quoted the cop.

Urban legend.

The only time that something has even come close, is when certain legislators (not on a national level) attempted to foist such registration schemes in their chambers, but to no avail. Such attempts either simply died in committee, or the sponsor withdrew them.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlueDragon1981 said:
I have a question .... I'm being serious about this too. I mean no disrespect to cops...but why are small town cops so arrogant.
Let me guess...you had a recent confrontation with the police. If it's a small town cop we have a problem with, it becomes "ALL" small town cops. If it was a large city, it becomes "ALL CITY COPS". If someone has a problem with "ALL COPS", the problem may actually be them. Most people go through their lives with very little contact with the police. Those who complain to me all the time about how the police treat them are....usually criminals. A single bad contact with one officer should not be considered indicative of all police. Multiple bad contacts with numerous officers may mean someone should change their lifestyle.

On the topic of weapons...i've always found carrying my marbles around in their leather bag makes a good weapon...or become a rock collector. Heck, carry a bar of soap in one pocket and pair of socks in the other. A pad lock and a sock work equally well, and don't draw any undue attention until needed.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Because some of them trained in the big city. Actually it seems to be a sweeping problem. While not all cops are arrogant, I have only met one or two who weren't. It's sad and unnecessary, but I think it might be a by-product of the nature of their job, so ... I try really really really hard to be understanding.
The problem often is the circumstances with which people come in contact with the police. For example, if you happen to be a by-stander at an altercation at a bar...you also happen to be a little intoxicated...and you're standing around with 10 other people, and you approach the officer to be "helpful" and he orders you to stand over on the side walk, you might get the idea that he's being "arrogant". You also might be wrong. That kind of misunderstanding happens all the time. People mistake the fact that officers are trained and MUST be in charge in a given situation, with arrogance.

Apparently some people have the idea that they should be able to do and say whatever they want with an officer around, and not have any repercusions. That includes continuing to fight with their spouses, yell at the neighbor, threaten to assault people, and resist arrest.

Often times if people look at a situation that they felt a police officer was being "arrogant" in, they would find, if they watching other people in the same situation, that THEY were the ones who were actually being "arrogant".

Anyone who wants to know both sides of the story should do a few ride-alongs at a local department before they jump conclusions about what officers should and should not do in a given situation.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Satt,

Check on http://www.packing.org (if you haven't done so already) and select your state. It will give you a link to your state's code/regulations as well as a summary of what things are legal/illegal to carry. Good luck.

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions