a question about Yin & Yang

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A martial talk member noticed the Yin&Yang symbol on my avatar is turned opposite to that in my signature, and wrote asking me if I knew of any symbolic importance to how it was oriented. I personally didn't even notice the orientation. I know what the symbol represents, (at least what it represents to me) but I don't know anything about which color should face which direction. Does anyone know if the orientation matters, and why?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yang is the right side, yin is the left. However, like the direction a flag is facing, is it the right or left of the viewer, or the right or left of the viewed?

Whatever.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The way I understand the yin yang is that it should be going clockwise so with that explanation your avatar would be correct.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't want to call anyone out, but I saw someone the other day who had a yin/yang as an avatar and one in his signature, but the one was as if you were looking at the other from behind. I asked if he knew if one were more correct than the other, but he suggested I ask the Forum. Actually, I asked my instructor, and he told me that the one where it looks as if you were stirring something clockwise is correct, but the other actually promotes bad health. Just thought I'd bring that up; sorry I can't quote any websites on it to prove it, but that's certainly a credible source for me.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
~MODERATOR NOTE:

~THREADS MERGED.

~G Ketchmark / shesulsa
~MT Senior Moderator

Latest Discussions