A promising new direction

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
First off, I personally would love to see a group/organization established that has a focus on SD and not sport. The TKD Won or whatever they called themselves, was billed as just such an organization and they haven't amounted to anything. Why, because thier agenda was clouded and it turned out to be sport focused in the end. It didn't take much time to figure them out either, all one had to do was to just read through their web site and it jumped out at you. I'm sure there were other organizations that tried to start up, only to fall away because folks either really didin't care or attempting to get the word out was to troublesome. All that happened was they got swallowed up in the large amount of groups and organizations that are all ready all over the net.

I'm sorry to be trying to burst bubbles here, but the state of TKD has been to firmly entrenched in the sport + money = happy campers equation. If such an organization were to come about, it would be benificial IMO to change the name, in some form, to remove themselves from the overall stigma that is associated with TKD in general.

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
... I'm not dead keen on it, too many fluff columns and goody-two-shoes stuff about character and virtue etc...
Seriously, I haven't been able to buy a MA magazine since I was 16. Too much of that Mr. Miyagi "violence is never the answer", "I learn Karate so I don't have to fight" rubbish. Sounded nothing like my master. His motto was more along the lines of "there are a lot of bad people out there, if they make the mistake of exposing themselves by attacking you, beat them into the ground, punish them for their wicked ways". I didn't find a lot that in the mags, so I lost interest.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seriously, I haven't been able to buy a MA magazine since I was 16. Too much of that Mr. Miyagi "violence is never the answer", "I learn Karate so I don't have to fight" rubbish. Sounded nothing like my master. His motto was more along the lines of "there are a lot of bad people out there, if they make the mistake of exposing themselves by attacking you, beat them into the ground, punish them for their wicked ways". I didn't find a lot that in the mags, so I lost interest.

And TKD Times is among the worst in that respect. I've never seen a MA publication whose regular columns—which make up a very big chunk of their contents, in terms of pages—have so little martial content. I personally trust someone whose point of view is like that of your instructor way more than someone who is trying to convincing me that an art comprising all kinds of techniques for inflicting serious damage on a violent aggressor is all about peace and virtue and all the rest. I just cannot understand how people can accept the violence inherent in the techniques and yet still think that 'violence is never the answer'. It may not be the ideal answer, but what if there's nothing else possible?

Given what Terry's OP reports, it sounds as if a good many people are finally begining to realize what a dead end that whole mystification-route is going to be...

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
I personally trust someone whose point of view is like that of your instructor way more than someone who is trying to convincing me that an art comprising all kinds of techniques for inflicting serious damage on a violent aggressor is all about peace and virtue and all the rest. I just cannot understand how people can accept the violence inherent in the techniques and yet still think that 'violence is never the answer'.
The senior BBs at my school used to say that there are why too many martial ARTIST and not enough MARTIAL artist.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to be clear on this they are trying to finalize everything and it will be announce as I understand by e-mail to certain school owners that are there first list and then it will be by invitation only or you need to be recomended to join it is not an open invitation to all but for those that have the same common goals in mind. They are and will not tell you how to run your school and as of right no they are not planning on charging anybody or school to become members. This is for people that have a common goal to network together for the betterment of SD principle TKD.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just to be clear on this they are trying to finalize everything and it will be announce as I understand by e-mail to certain school owners that are there first list and then it will be by invitation only or you need to be recomended to join it is not an open invitation to all but for those that have the same common goals in mind. They are and will not tell you how to run your school and as of right no they are not planning on charging anybody or school to become members. This is for people that have a common goal to network together for the betterment of SD principle TKD.

That sounds great!
Do you think once those initial emails are sent out you will be able to share what masters and grandmasters are involved? It would be nie to know as it would certainly help others know who they know that could get them recommended/invited (or even if they want to be recommended I suppose).

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That sounds great!
Do you think once those initial emails are sent out you will be able to share what masters and grandmasters are involved? It would be nie to know as it would certainly help others know who they know that could get them recommended/invited (or even if they want to be recommended I suppose).

I will be able to give you the list as soon as the agrement is signed by them. I not on the board or anything but I am one of the people that is priverledge to be given this info. and can share once it is done. I also do not hav any say so to who they bring in that is up to them only.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will be able to give you the list as soon as the agrement is signed by them. I not on the board or anything but I am one of the people that is priverledge to be given this info. and can share once it is done. I also do not hav any say so to who they bring in that is up to them only.

Well, I hope those of us who are interested in just this approach to TKD—and there seem to be a fair number on MT—can approach you for a recommendation for membership! :angel:

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I hope those of us who are interested in just this approach to TKD—and there seem to be a fair number on MT—can approach you for a recommendation for membership! :angel:
This is why I posted it here for that to happen. I really want this to workout for them and for the rest of us.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, we all get carried away every so often, but really...

Please tell us about those times when you got carried away. We need more stimulating post started, PLEASE!!!!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please tell us about those times when you got carried away. We need more stimulating post started, PLEASE!!!!

Well, I've been carried away by friends after a bit too much indulgence at our favorite pub, on a few occasions... :lol:

Latest Discussions