A odd thing said in Olympic commentary

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's the problem that so many dojangs, especially Kukkiwon/WTF dojangs have. Instead of keeping Olympic-style as a side activity to a select few black belts who have the ability to do it, and with the understanding that it is to be a short-term activity for them, too many schools make that style their primary curriculum. So that as a beginner you are learning techniques designed merely to score points, instead of solid basics, powerful technique, good manners and philosophy.
As a result, each generation slowly undergoes a degeneration in Taekwondo. More and more, we are left with instructors who only know Olympic-style, and it becomes a process of taking 5 year old kids as students to make them "tomorrow's Olympic champions".

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's the problem that so many dojangs, especially Kukkiwon/WTF dojangs have. Instead of keeping Olympic-style as a side activity to a select few black belts who have the ability to do it, and with the understanding that it is to be a short-term activity for them, too many schools make that style their primary curriculum. So that as a beginner you are learning techniques designed merely to score points, instead of solid basics, powerful technique, good manners and philosophy.
As a result, each generation slowly undergoes a degeneration in Taekwondo. More and more, we are left with instructors who only know Olympic-style, and it becomes a process of taking 5 year old kids as students to make them "tomorrow's Olympic champions".

Youngman, GREAT post! (respectful bow):asian:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

EXACTLY (my bold for emphasis)

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is my problem in trying to find tournaments for my students. I'm old school TKD. Most TKD tournaments are Olympic-style in Los Angeles. Open tournaments often are cold to TKD forms competitors.

I'm 210 miles from my closest sister school. My only other option is to get together with like-minded schools & have small intra-school get-togethers & work that way. It's not a bad thing, but not the same experience as a tournament. Tho it is cheaper & less stressful.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is my problem in trying to find tournaments for my students. I'm old school TKD. Most TKD tournaments are Olympic-style in Los Angeles. Open tournaments often are cold to TKD forms competitors.

I'm 210 miles from my closest sister school. My only other option is to get together with like-minded schools & have small intra-school get-togethers & work that way. It's not a bad thing, but not the same experience as a tournament. Tho it is cheaper & less stressful.
We do kind of the same thing. Fortunately, our sister school is less than forty minutes away.

Daniel

Latest Discussions