A new martial sport based on the Equilibrium movie

G

GunFu

Hi everyone,

I am a martial artist and a big fan of the movie Equilibrium which features some amazing MA fight choreography. My brother and I are developing a new martial SPORT or game based on the last figth scene in the movie which is kind of like trapping hands with guns. Note that we are *not* using this for real self-defense training, it's just for exercise and fun. Right now we are using modified squirt guns for training but we are looking into some kind of plastic dart guns and maybe paintball or airsoft further down the road.

We have set up a website explaining our new style which we call GUN SAU. We would really like to hear your opinions on the site and on GUN SAU itself.

The website is at http://www.gunkata.freeservers.com

thanks for your time.

Mike Munro

OP
G

GunFu

Well I must admit that I was hoping for a more detailed response :)

Just pointing out that Gun Sau is not supposed to be a serious MA, it's just for exercise and fun. We would still like some feedback on the idea and on the site ...

Mike Munro

ShotoSan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of fun dude. Dont mind other peoples un acceptance of your new idea. I think it is great!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. With films like Matrix, and Hero, fight choreography seems to be in an upswing. Plus, I don't see a problem with something done for fun as long as it's honestly listed as such.

:)

OP
G

GunFu

Thanks guys! Let me know if you ever try Gun Sau, it rocks

OP
A

AnimEdge

allright now what is it your doing? all i can find is walking and Gun Sau, but now where do i see any tech for doing this (i know its just for fun but seam interesting) are there even tech? some pictures would be very helpfull :p

OP
G

GunFu

Yeah i know ... we've only been doing this for a couple of weeks and we don't have many pix yet. We want to do videos as well but it will take some time to set it all up. There are techniques but it's more freestyle ... hard to explain ... you don't learn move one then move two, it's more like "these are the rules for this drill, now see what happens". It helps if you already have MA training in trapping hands etc. BTW we have a Forum on the site now so come on over if you want to talk details :)

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
battyclericsidearmmd0ma.jpg

OP
G

GunFu

Excellent pic ... funny thing is I'm not really into guns that much, never saw a gunfight in a movie that really rang my bell until Equilibrium, because they really combined the gunplay with martial arts. I mean seriously cool stuff.

BW we had another idea for equipment. Squirt guns work fine for basic training but obviously you can't use them indoors. We have tried disc guns but they suck because the discs get jammed. Then we thought "what about lasertag guns"? No need for lots of safety gear cause you're only shooting light :jedi1:

We would have to monkey with the sensors etc. to make them fit the rules for Gun Sau.

We haven't tried it yet but we will let you know what happens!

RanaHarmamelda

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I saw a similar site, a few months back -- some people had actually started working on Gun Kata -- very cool.

I say go for it, and keep us updated -- this sort of stuff is cool, even if not realistic. *grin*

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Have the movie and love it!:supcool:

As long as it is just for fun why not?
I was actually asking my trainer recently if he would be interested in doing something similar whilst we were playing sticky hands...
It wouldn't be our hobby if we didn't enjoy it, and in my opinion since we all enjoy different things then there should be space for everyone:ultracool

OP
G

GunFu

OK today we picked up a LazerTag team Ops system. Pretty expensive and proabbly way more high tech than we need but :uhyeah: ! We will have to modify it for Gun Sau training and I'll post back here when weve tried it out.

GunFu

OP
G

GunFu

Well, we have tried out the lazer gun system. Like I thought it is proabably more than we really need (fires 600', heads-up displays in the goggles, etc.) but still worth having! I have been posting on a lot of lazertag forums and we have some guys on board who are very keen on Gun Sau and are helping to develop it. Some of the other guys are also interested in developing a sport version of the Gun Kata (ie the long range style seen in the equilibrium movie).

Next we will probably try to develop a training gun just for Gun Sau games and competitions. Short-range, maybe padded for disarms etc, tight infra-red beam, targets to be worn on the head and chest to simulate the KillZone %-}

BTW if you are keen on this stuff stop by the Gun Sau website, we have a busy forum now and we could use some more MA imput :asian:

GunFu