A little Market Research

Would you pay a monthly access fee to MT IF it also included Internet Access?

• Yes - $9-15/month for MT and DialUp service is fair

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Yes - $35-40/mo for MT and DSL, sure

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yes - $35-40/mo for MT and High Speed access.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • No.

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In continuing to play with ideas on future expansions for MT, I had a brilliant thought.

So, heres the market rsearch question:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the access was via the Cable network I already have and is competitive in services and cost, I would do it.

M

Mark Weiser

I actually pay more per month now thur my local phone company for High Speed Internet than $40 per month hmmmm.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith, I love your board, I dig the people on it and you do a great job of keeping this place ship-shape.

I currently pay about $10 per month for unlimited access to my dial-up Netzero and I am thoroughly convinced I can't get a better deal anywhere else for what I get.

I am on a S-T-R-I-C-T budget and have been saving my pocket change to send to you to support your efforts, even though it's voluntary.

I voted for the cheapest option, and I hope you're not offended. Once my income increases, so shall my payment.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not offended at all. I appreciate all the support :)

I'm looking for ways to fund future growth of the site, as well as adding expanded features and continuing to improve things. We're at a pivotal (sp) point here.

I'm currently looking at several dialup providers to add to my own business offerings. Like most things, I've been adding budget versions to MT to help cover the growing operating costs. I'm also looking at high-speed services (DSL/Cable, and faster) but those are a bit more complex. It's also very hard to compete with some of the established companies (NetZero being 1) as they have the 24/7 support staff, and I have well, me.

This is just "well, whatta ya think" stuff at the moment. In the future, there is a definate plan in place, it's just a matter of 'when'. :)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Kaith,
While I would pay a monthly fee for MT, I really don't need internet. Already have high speed/ broadband and that is not going to change. TW

M

Mark Weiser

Kaith have you checked into once you own your own server that can handle the traffic and storage about the possibility of having a dedicated T1 line? With all the members paying a monthly fee should cover the cost if I remember my research about 6 months ago.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A T1 is around $1500/month where I'm at.
That would put our annual operating costs at $18,000.
I'd need 1500 supporting members to break even.
I have 100.

Leasing a server that can handle what we really need for MT is $7,200 / year.
I can't absorb that, and the donations/sponsorships/sms don't cover it all either.

I just had 4 advertisers drop. 2 forum sponsors didn't renew and 2 schools failed to pay their school-page advertising fees. I'm also waiting on 2 others who signed up for stuff, but haven't paid to send the cash in.

While I appreciate the support of those who have sent in cash, we need a better funding system than the PBS method. (Meaning donations and telethons every few months).

If I switch to a monthly fee (lets say $5) we run into several issues.
1- There are hundreds of other forums. Many will simply move rather than pay anything.
2- Some people can't afford it. Discretionary income is at an all time low.
3- Active members is different from listen members. We have I'd estimate around 1,000-1,500 active members. Assuming 10% pay, thats barely $500/month.
4- If we switch to a pay system, and a large number of people do leave, and new signups dry up, the board will rapidly lose its worth.

M

Mark Weiser

Okay interesting $ problems. I think a poll of the supporting members would be interesting if you would like Kaith just in their support of going to $12 a month? I think it would be worth it once the Server is in play and you brought all your goodies that you have planned to the site. Just a thought.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Add in a nudie webcam (female please) and charge the guys $15 + a drool tax every month?

Just trying to help :wavey:

M

MGM

It is a interesting idea. I had to vote no. Even if you were able to provide service in Canada you would never manage high speed broadband for me, I don't even have electric run down my road and I am the only house on it. No chance of cable ever coming this way.
Good luck!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The funding issues are one of the things (besides my 3 goofy cats) that keeps me up at night.

Bad Bester - No Donuts for you.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith, I have to be with Shesulsa on this one... on a budget myself. I love being a supporting member but having another monthly payment at this stage in the game is just not in the cards.

M

Mark Weiser

Okay Kaith there is only one way to do this then. You will have to find a major Coporate Sponsor to underwrite the site. Such as Century, AWMA, Footwear or another Martial Art Sponsor.

M

Mark Weiser

Kaith if you could make up a good PR packet with all the numbers and also list whom are members and what MA are represented here along with the WHOS WHO of the MA world are on here and also the number of schools and students we have in our schools would be interesting as well.

I think a good Coporate Sponsor would be foolish not to invest. Just look at the Kenpo Representation along with all the Chinese Arts and others here. I think putting the correct packet together would bring you in more than one sponsor.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry, no can do - I get internet access right now through the university, and at home I settle for the free dial-up sloth.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I voted no. As of right now, I get cable internet access as part of a package deal with digital cable TV. If I dropped one, the price of the other would go up, so it would effectively negate the savings of switching my ISP. Besides that, I share the cost with several roommates who don't really have an interest in martial arts.

On the other hand, my living situation will likely change down the road, so if I was asked the same question 6 months to one year from now, I may very well change my answer.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Unfortunatly, there are plenty of comparable dial ups around. You have an uphill battle, plus dialup is a dying service. Raise the Supporting member fee a few bucks. You will probably have better luck doing it at $18 a year than trying to sell outdated connections to already connected people. Less tech support headaches as well. Let AOL or Earthstink deal with the connection issues. You focus on adding more goodies for us paying folk. :)

5 hand swords

Kaith Rustaz said:
In continuing to play with ideas on future expansions for MT, I had a brilliant thought.

So, heres the market rsearch question:

No. As I have a poor understanding of what Value Add you would bring to this.