A little direction for a know-nothing, please

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm interested in learning more about Silat, especially the body-fighting aspect (use of whole body weight for takedowns, arm or neck cranks, etc.) and holds/leverages, but don't have the time, money, or inclination to learn yet another art in depth. What one DVD (or set) or book(s) would you recommend for me to get a good perspective on the art?

My training is Shaolin Kempo and Kung Fu San Soo (clips of the latter can be easily found in the Southern Chinese section).

Thanks in advance! :ultracool

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't know if the name Rick Tucci rings a bell with you kw, he's one of Dan Inosanto's top students. I'd recommend Guro Tucci's Maphilindo Silat DVDs...so named because Inosanto's blend talkes influences from MAlasya, the PHILippines, and INDOnesia. The system seems fairly well balanced and the DVDs do a good job of demonstrating the basics responsibly. You train in San Soo so you know how important it is to go slow with this stuff.

What is on the DVDs is just scratching the surface. There is so much more involving strikes to pressure points, etc. that Guro Tucci doesn't get in to. But, it should give you an idea of how some of the mechanics work. :)

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't know if the name Rick Tucci rings a bell with you kw, he's one of Dan Inosanto's top students. I'd recommend Guro Tucci's Maphilindo Silat DVDs...so named because Inosanto's blend talkes influences from MAlasya, the PHILippines, and INDOnesia. The system seems fairly well balanced and the DVDs do a good job of demonstrating the basics responsibly. You train in San Soo so you know how important it is to go slow with this stuff.

What is on the DVDs is just scratching the surface. There is so much more involving strikes to pressure points, etc. that Guro Tucci doesn't get in to. But, it should give you an idea of how some of the mechanics work. :)

Perfect! Thanks, Carol. ;)

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello
There is is not a great abundance of pencak silat related Dvds, video or books here in the USA....at least not like there are for many other martial arts. Much of what is available , seems to be best for one who is pursuing the particular style of silat featured in the book or DVD ,but may be of more limited usefulness for one studying a different style.

I think the best reference material for fundamental principles of body movement and physical mechanics comes from Mr. Bob Orlando. I recommend his book to anyone who asks me for a really useful book regarding Silat and Kuntao. He boils everything down to several essential principles that would help any silat beginner understand the mechanics of what the teacher is demonstrating and teaching . His book is Indonesian Fighting Fundamentals. I believe he has a DVD as well. Also he has some material on Footwork from silat and Kuntao. I think his basic video was Fighting Arts of Indonesia. They should be available from Paladin Press.

Of course , other teachers have great video and books as well, but since you are not necessarily wanting to study silat, the materials by Mr Orlando are most likely to give you what you seek , in my opinion.

With Respect,

Doc

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello
There is is not a great abundance of pencak silat related Dvds, video or books here in the USA....at least not like there are for many other martial arts. Much of what is available , seems to be best for one who is pursuing the particular style of silat featured in the book or DVD ,but may be of more limited usefulness for one studying a different style.

I think the best reference material for fundamental principles of body movement and physical mechanics comes from Mr. Bob Orlando. I recommend his book to anyone who asks me for a really useful book regarding Silat and Kuntao. He boils everything down to several essential principles that would help any silat beginner understand the mechanics of what the teacher is demonstrating and teaching . His book is Indonesian Fighting Fundamentals. I believe he has a DVD as well. Also he has some material on Footwork from silat and Kuntao. I think his basic video was Fighting Arts of Indonesia. They should be available from Paladin Press.

Of course , other teachers have great video and books as well, but since you are not necessarily wanting to study silat, the materials by Mr Orlando are most likely to give you what you seek , in my opinion.

With Respect,

Doc

Thank you, Sir! :asian:

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Orlando's stuff is good. So is Steve Plinck's, either the one from Paladin or the two which I'm trying to nudge him into re-releasing. I haven't seen Cliff Stewart's material, but if it's anywhere near as good as he is it will be phenomenal. The first two Zul Fikar instructional DVDs will be out within a month. Mushtaq is very, very good. And keep an eye on emaa.us . Bobbe has plans, and he has been, done, and printed up the t-shirt.

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Orlando's stuff is good. So is Steve Plinck's, either the one from Paladin or the two which I'm trying to nudge him into re-releasing. I haven't seen Cliff Stewart's material, but if it's anywhere near as good as he is it will be phenomenal. The first two Zul Fikar instructional DVDs will be out within a month. Mushtaq is very, very good. And keep an eye on emaa.us . Bobbe has plans, and he has been, done, and printed up the t-shirt.

Thanks, tellner. Your knowledge of the arts and the artists sometimes floors me.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, tellner. Your knowledge of the arts and the artists sometimes floors me.

Well, considering that Guru Plinck is my teacher, Cliff Stewart is a friend of his, Bob Orlando is in the same clan, and Bobbe and Mushtaq are my partners in crime it's not all that remarkable :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bob Orlando stuff is great and very thoroughly explained and easy to understand.
icon14.gif
Get the book and DVD combo and that should peak your interest.

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, I've trained with a couple of the people in Tellner's list and will soon train with a few more and he's right on the money.

I have to be the one to say this. Silat are arts of feeling. You can see the movement from a DVD and prehaps even get some of it from a book but you will miss the feeling of the arts.

Find a seminar with one of the guys mentioned and get the DVD or books as a way to refresh the seminar teachings.

Bob Orlando's stuff is phenomenal in person, but I have not seen his DVDs. I do however have his Indonesian Fighting Fundamentals book and like it.
I got the book after training in person which is what I recommend for any teaching.

Mushtaq is as good as Tellner says. I don't have any of his support material but he's 90 miles from me.;) I have started taping the stuff I get from him as soon as I get home to make sure I don't lose it.

I have a copy of Guro Steven Plinck's video. I like it, but I got it after training in Silat and Kuntaw/Kuntao. I missed a chance to train with him last year.

Cliff Stewart's site has video clips that I looked at and like what I saw.
He's a big guy so I liked his silat. I wouldn't mind training with him if I had the chance.

Bobbe Edmonds also has a bunch of video on his site. Very good stuff!
I look forward to training with him.

I'm sure there are others for learning Silat from, but the bottom line is train with one of them then get books or DVDs of the material.

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Orlando stuff is great and very thoroughly explained and easy to understand.
icon14.gif
Get the book and DVD combo and that should peak your interest.

Thanks, Brian!

Bill Bednarick said:
Well, I've trained with a couple of the people in Tellner's list and will soon train with a few more and he's right on the money.

...the bottom line is train with one of them then get books or DVDs of the material.

Thanks, Bill. Really appreciate it!

~kidswarrior

Latest Discussions