a JKD'ers take on Muay Thai roundkick

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
FMA_Brian said:
Gotta resepctfully disagree since I too thought that until I really began to work it. Try it while stalking you opponent. It is much easier to hid the telegraph then(while moving). Also a lead kick is a little bit unexpected; people become fixated on the rear power leg. Give it a whirl
biggrin.gif

-Brian

Bingo!!!! Give the man a cigar. :) I very specifically used to use the switch to hide my kick. The most awesome aspect of the shinbone kick is that unless your opponent does avoid it entirely, damage is done. Even another Thai fighter doesn't want too many kicks to connect.

I remember a fight between Rick Rufus and a Thai fighter that ended with the world champion Rufus running around the ring trying to avoid the kick with both hands covering his thigh. He was eventually carried out of the ring.

It's a great tool to develop. Also, remember that on the street, many people will have had very little real experience with an opponent that kicks and kicks hard. They may see it coming, but they very well may not know enough to get out of the way. In that case, it doesn't matter if he sees it coming.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
As fate would have it, someone tried a rear leg MT kick on me sparring the other night and I blocked it with my knee. I was very happy, he was very sad. :partyon: I have no doubt this wouldnt work every time, but it was a great experience. (For me.)

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tried a knee block like that against a back kick last week...

...didn't work, my positioning was just a little off and got hit hard on the inner thigh with his heel.