A "hypothetical" question for anyone

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, so here is the hypothetical:
And I would like responses from everyone, even if you aren't yet an instructor.

There is a student at your school who has been training for about a year. He is mid 20's and is athletic and picks techniques up easily. At a recent tournament he did very well, medaling in all events even against people who were two belts senior to him. He trains about 4 hours a week, however about 30% of the time it is less than that (and sometimes he goes a week without any training). He does take a 30-60 min private lesson about one or twice a month. Over all his training is going very well. He is not amazingly committed but he is there and he is pretty naturally gifted.
Now the question is:
He wants to test for 1st Dan in October of next year (after two years of training). Average for our school is 3-4 years. His reasoning is: He really wants to be an instructor, he feels he is really committed to his goal of black belt, and he thinks he is better than many students who are higher ranked than him (who will most likely test for Black Belt next year).

Note: The "non-hypothetical" situation has already been resolved and I am happy with the outcome.
I have tried very hard to give you just the facts. So what is your opinion?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am not TKD any longer (and I have not been for years) and I no longer teach anything but IMO patients is part of training MA, he waits if that is what is required. If he has passed all the tests up until now and he is at a belt that his next step is Dan level then he has already been advanced faster than the others so then he tests.

And to be honest him wanting to be a teacher and him thinking he is better than the rest (and apparently voicing that) is a bit of a concern to me.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, Xue, I agree with that, especially the last.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think part of being a Black Belt is be disciplined. If he was ready to advance then his instructors have the option of up testing him belts. Since this wasn't listed as an option by the op, then he waits. He could possibly help in class as a JR. instructor till he is naturally ready to test for Black belt. He also needs a lesson in humility. Even though is better than some he needs to understand that his is not better than all.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Testing is at the discretion of the instructor - not the student. This student may be physically capable of performing at a black belt level, but his demonstrated lack of commitment and belief that he is better than more senior students physically (whether he is or not) shows that he is emotionally and mentally unready - no matter what he thinks. It's great that he wants to be an instructor - but being an instructor requires an in-depth understanding of the techniques, which goes far beyond being able to perform them - and he doesn't have enough experience to do that; it would make him a poor instructor, and why would anyone - himself included - want that?

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that if he was truly committed, he would make it to more classes. Since he's only been training for a year now, and the requirements say that you have to be in training for at least 3 years, he should wait. Just knowing the techniques and performing them well, isn't always enough. It's not just the physical aspect, but the mental. You can always work on things for more improvement, no matter how well you think you do.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Testing is at the discretion of the instructor - not the student. This student may be physically capable of performing at a black belt level, but his demonstrated lack of commitment and belief that he is better than more senior students physically (whether he is or not) shows that he is emotionally and mentally unready - no matter what he thinks. It's great that he wants to be an instructor - but being an instructor requires an in-depth understanding of the techniques, which goes far beyond being able to perform them - and he doesn't have enough experience to do that; it would make him a poor instructor, and why would anyone - himself included - want that?

I have to agree with Kacey on this.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, he needs to understand that the instructor gives out the belts when he feels the students deserve it; they don't take them at their own discretion. Personally, I'd be adding 6 months minimum to the tab for him just asking the question... but I'm a little old-school in my thinking.

I agree with Kacey that the lack of commitment in terms of inconsistent training and the ego being shown by thinking he knows the material better than his seniors are both items that say "proceed with caution". To me, from the limited information that we have, he sounds more like he views the black belt as a graduation, rather than just another step on the path.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Along with Nomad, I'd add that talent does not equal dedication to anything. Someone who works hard at something & is good at it for a few months is admirable. But a young person who says, "I want to teach this for the rest of my life" after a few months shouldn't be given the "keys to the store" as it were.

Lauren, your own dedication to the Art & your instructor is indicative of someone who would be an instructor. Your time & energy spent shows where your heart is.

My 2 cents

Last edited:

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Based on what you're telling us, I'd make a deal with him. He's got a little more than a year to go. I'd expect him to show up to at least 4 classes a week, help teach kid's or beginners classes, and continue his private lessons. If he kept his part of the bargain, I'd allow him to test, but I wouldn't guarantee him passing, and since he hasn't been there as long as the others, he'd really have to earn it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wants to be an instructor. An instructor must attend the classes every time, not just when they feel like it.

What you could do is offer to focus the next year -- or longer, if need be -- on developing his instructing skills, IF and ONLY if he's really got the skills you expect of a black belt. If he only thinks he does... Well, then you've got your answer.

(If he had the commitment and the skills, I'd consider testing & promoting him early. But he seems to have more desire than commitment at the moment...)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He is asking which means he is not ready for the jump, we all know when someone is committed and when someone just goes though the motion. This seems to me to be an ego boost for him amd not about the journey.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Laurentkd,

Being able to kick and punch is a part of the martial arts. Certainly a vital one, but it's only a part. So is understanding the foundation of the art. And maturity to teach (and that does come with age usually.) For ability to verbalize to students and convey ideas is very very much a part of being a teacher. A most important skill!

Your student is in a hurry. He want's it now (something that is quite common in todays society.) But he needs to learn patience. That sometimes things that one needs are not so easy to see. They grow in him as he keeps training and in time he will see more. Skill is good, but maturity is more important to teaching.

I have met many a 'hot shot', both in the martial arts and in shooting. Around here I guess I'm one of the local 'hot shots' (but just local mind you, no big head here!) Most such can do, but have a hard time slowing down to teach others who lack their background for it gets boring sometimes, and a sign of a good teacher is one who makes efforts even when bored!

Have him assist in class when possible. Use him alot to lead belts that are at or below his rank. Help him learn how to teach, but don't overpromote him for others will want that same fast-track.

Deaf

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the standard answer would be "You will test when you are ready, right now you need to work hard on X and Y."

If possible, let him try his hand at assistant instructor.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He is asking which means he is not ready for the jump, we all know when someone is committed and when someone just goes though the motion. This seems to me to be an ego boost for him and not about the journey.
Very much agree. Being a tournament champion is not the same as assuming the responsibility of being a dan rank practitioner. And voicing that you're better than other students who waited the three to four years is a definite breach in etiquette.

Daniel

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not TKD any longer (and I have not been for years) and I no longer teach anything but IMO patients is part of training MA, he waits if that is what is required. If he has passed all the tests up until now and he is at a belt that his next step is Dan level then he has already been advanced faster than the others so then he tests.

And to be honest him wanting to be a teacher and him thinking he is better than the rest (and apparently voicing that) is a bit of a concern to me.
Now we know your dark secret. :mst:
Sean

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a bit off topic, or perhaps the other side of the coin. Yesterday, I spoke to a young 4th Dan friend who lives for Taekwondo & has excellent skills, attitude, etc. I asked him if his goal was to own a school someday. He said, "No, not at this point. I'm really focused on techique & competing. Running a school is really difficult & it's a headache I don't want."

Here's a guy that a lot of folks see as instructor material, but he's not ready.

Latest Discussions