A good, but hard change for me

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry it has been a couple days...

first off, congrats on the job my friend.

secondly, as my sShbomnim always says "everything happens for a reason." I know this will all work out for you in the end, because Taekwondo is that important to you. And who knows what opportunities this might open for you. It could be the best thing that has happened for your program...

Stay positive and good luck!

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anything Yet? Don't give up, OK? Things happen and change for a reason, maybe not the way you plan or want but, in the long run, it usually works out. I spent 3 years on swing shift before I was transfered to midnight so that I could teach my afternoon and evening classes. you would be surprised at how many of my students changed their schedules to match mine. So, like I said, don't give up, work around your schedule and let your students match it.

billybybose

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hey iceman,congrats on the new job.Its an important one.Vets need good people in thier corner.I go to class at a salvation army,got any where your at.What about any church with a gym or meeting hall.Hang in there bro.My school talks alot about perseverance,and indomitable spirit.Just be calm,and keep looking.You kept at it,and got your certificate.You can do this

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got great news for my family! I start a new full time job as the director of a Veteran's employment program. I'm really excited about it! Unfortunatley, I won't be able to teach my TKD program that currently starts at 4:00 pm. The community center is unable to change their schedule to allow me to teach later in the evening at this time. Perhaps they may be able to open a spot in February. I'm talking to a few other places in town about running my program there. The wheels of progress turn slowly. It may be a while before that happens.

I love teaching TKD (as you all know) & I'm really torn about this whole thing. I hope the time off won't last. I'm not sad leaving the Center position, not teaching my students will be very hard. I'm having a rough day.

Best of luck with your new job! I know how balance family, work, and TKD. I hope it works out for you and your students.

Miles

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hey iceman,congrats on the new job.Its an important one.Vets need good people in thier corner.I go to class at a salvation army,got any where your at.What about any church with a gym or meeting hall.Hang in there bro.My school talks alot about perseverance,and indomitable spirit.Just be calm,and keep looking.You kept at it,and got your certificate.You can do this

Thanks for the kind words. Funny you should mention The Sal. I started my career in social services at The Salvation Army. Sadly, I don't have a Sal. near me, but I am talking to a few churches about housing my school there. Patience is the key. It will happen. It's just a matter of time.

Thanks again!

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Update:

Well again, more good news & bad news. I'm going to start teaching Taekwondo again in January. My church has graciously offered me space & time. There is also a good possibility of teaching my program at another church on 2 other days during the week. Yup, that's the good news!

The bad news is that the 2 year grant for the veterans employment program that I was hired to run is up at the end of the month. I was laid off last week (hence the posting more often). It's unclear as to whether the grant will get renewed. As sad as I am to not be working I'm really excited about teaching again.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Update:

Well again, more good news & bad news. I'm going to start teaching Taekwondo again in January. My church has graciously offered me space & time. There is also a good possibility of teaching my program at another church on 2 other days during the week. Yup, that's the good news!

The bad news is that the 2 year grant for the veterans employment program that I was hired to run is up at the end of the month. I was laid off last week (hence the posting more often). It's unclear as to whether the grant will get renewed. As sad as I am to not be working I'm really excited about teaching again.

Thanks for the update. I hope you can find a good balance between the TKD, family and a (new?) job. Any chance the grant can be renewed?

Miles

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I hope you can find a good balance between the TKD, family and a (new?) job. Any chance the grant can be renewed?

Miles

I'm honestly not sure if the grant will be renewed.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Whoa. That is tough. But things will work out. That is for sure. The TKD Instructor does not give up, and in time things will work out, most likely ending up in a situation which is better than it was before the changes!

That's easy for me to say because I am not going through it right now, but I do know that it is true. Whoever gets you in their employ will be a winner, they just do not realize it fully yet.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whoa. That is tough. But things will work out. That is for sure. The TKD Instructor does not give up, and in time things will work out, most likely ending up in a situation which is better than it was before the changes!

That's easy for me to say because I am not going through it right now, but I do know that it is true. Whoever gets you in their employ will be a winner, they just do not realize it fully yet.

Thanks Robert!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman sorry to hear about everything again, remember GOD only put us in a position to succeed, so maybe just maybe between the two churches you can grow enough to make a living out of TKD. I'm only hoping for the best for you. Hang in there, have that TKD attitude and just go for it.

Latest Discussions