9 year old boy chokes out pitbull to save girl

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hadn't thought of that either. If a dog is biting down on someone, I suppose smacking the top of it's head may cause the teeth to puncture or sink in further or cause a reaction to increase tearing of the flesh and such. Maybe the same with kicking the dog? (which probably what I would have tried first) I wonder if a dog knows it's being put to sleep?
It depends on the temperament of the dog.....a weak dog, temperament wise, might disengage after a hard hit to the head. A tough dog will only fight harder. In a truly hard dog death or unconsciousness are your only bets. I've trained dogs and have seen dogs that had to be choked unconscious while attacking another dog or the handler (Police K9's.)

Choking is actually a common response to extreme dog aggression by handlers.

Best way to break up a dog fight? It takes two people.......each person grabs one of the dogs by both hind legs and drags them in a different direction like walking a wheel-barrel backwards.......here's the key, though, you have the jerk the dogs legs from side to side to keep them from getting balance on their front legs, otherwise the dog can turn around and bite you!

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do we have a section or articles on animal attack defences?

I'm pro-dogs (and animals in general) so would hate to see or have to hurt one but sometimes it is just necessary.

My uncle was in the forces and I remember a long time ago he said they received training on dog attack/immobilising guard/attack dogs. This is terrible but one of the techniques that he said was sure fire (but if faced with a large/muscular dog requires a strong guy - or real strong woman) is to grab the dog's front set of legs (one in each hand and preferably close to the paw) and pull outwards with full speed and strength.

The dog's muscular and ligament wiring are different to humans and they cannot stand strain on their legs being extended in this manner outwards and backwards from the body. It effectively and immediately leaves you with a dead or irreparably crippled dog.

This can be performed when faced with a dog that has risen up or leapt at you such as when it's paws are on your chest or when you are under the dog - and can be used with either the front or the rear set of legs. You should also have your chin close into chest sheltering as much of your throat/neck from bites.

Again, not something I condone at all, or am in favour of, it would be horrible, but this was one of the methods he explained to me. I have grown up with large dogs and have of course always "rough-housed" with them and I think this technique would work and is not just BS.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do we have a section or articles on animal attack defences?

I'm pro-dogs (and animals in general) so would hate to see or have to hurt one but sometimes it is just necessary.

My uncle was in the forces and I remember a long time ago he said they received training on dog attack/immobilising guard/attack dogs. This is terrible but one of the techniques that he said was sure fire (but if faced with a large/muscular dog requires a strong guy - or real strong woman) is to grab the dog's front set of legs (one in each hand and preferably close to the paw) and pull outwards with full speed and strength.

The dog's muscular and ligament wiring are different to humans and they cannot stand strain on their legs being extended in this manner outwards and backwards from the body. It effectively and immediately leaves you with a dead or irreparably crippled dog.

This can be performed when faced with a dog that has risen up or leapt at you such as when it's paws are on your chest or when you are under the dog - and can be used with either the front or the rear set of legs. You should also have your chin close into chest sheltering as much of your throat/neck from bites.

Again, not something I condone at all, or am in favour of, it would be horrible, but this was one of the methods he explained to me. I have grown up with large dogs and have of course always "rough-housed" with them and I think this technique would work and is not just BS.
I don't like to hurt animals (or people) but I will in a heartbeat if the thing decides to hurt me. I will do what I must to restrain the animal, this can be as simple as holding it's neck at arms length against the ground.
But my own mindset is a dog is a dog, cat is a cat, etc. but still they're just animals. Nice pets, wonderful companions, part of the family... but still just an animal.
If they're hurting me or another person then I'll do what I have to do to stop them. And it won't bother me one bit.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What good quick thinking by the lad, I wouldn't have thought of that. I shall now though! Good thought though about it bringing your face closer to the dogs but I think in the case of a child their face is close anyway so they are in danger whatever.
I've heard that about grabbing the dogs front legs and pulling apart, I'm not sure I could do it to a strong dog though. Depends how much strength would be needed but then again perhaps adrenaline would be enough?
I wouldn't want to hurt any animal but as others have said you have to if it saves lives and theres no doubt dogs can kill.

A thread about defences against animlas would be good I think, these days we have so many large/potenially dangerous dogs being owned by people who shouldn't have them.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
That kid deserves a steak and a beer.

Steak now. Beer in a few years.

That's completely full of WIN.

Only A Green Belt

White Belt
Reaction score
Good point, but Pit Bulls are known to hold on forever. It's just not in it's MO to let go and it probably won't until it's too late. Great job by a gutsy kid!

The problem with putting the RNC on a dog is that it puts your throat and face near the mouth of the dog. If you mess up or the dog slips the hold, you're a sitting duck. Much better to improvise a weapon or kick the dog and attempt to keep some distance.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I think both sides are right here--getting that close is a risk, but pit bulls tend to latch on and wait until the Jaws of Life are used to extract them from whatever they're biting. But...no animal is completely predictable!

Latest Discussions