7 Star Mantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by theneuhauser

lets get back to 7 star-
some say its the most aggressive of all the CMAs.
do you agree?

If you are judging aggressivness by the attack, then yes I would agree. Most 7 star people will take quite a bit before resorting to a fight, like most CMAist, but when the attack does come it is extremely aggressive. I guess the correct word is continuious and extremely effective. With the combination of hands and feet, along with the grabs and breaks, I think 7 Star could be considered one of the most agressive. The Wing Chun attack is pretty agressive as well though.

7sm

OP
T

theneuhauser

but isnt there very little defense? in wahlum it was mostly scoops, plucks and those crashing blocks which were not terribly defensive, alot like a karate chop.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

but isnt there very little defense? in wahlum it was mostly scoops, plucks and those crashing blocks which were not terribly defensive, alot like a karate chop.

Well now that depends on how you look at defence. Most of our defence comes from yielding. Even if you get a hit in the effect is minimized from the "victim" rolling or "yielding" his body to the power of the punch. Ther are the crushing blocks but not very many, and there is still quite a bit of plucking involved as with most manits systems. Probably the most effective and my favorite defense in the yielding pluck, yielding your body to the punch leaving them extended with no contact to you or at least minimal contact, and then executing the pluck basically leaves them open to any offensive move you can think of. It sounds really almost non-effective, but once it is mastered it is extremely effective, I have not had a solid hit or kick on my sifu yet!! not one!! If I get through to him, assuming he didn't let me through to perform a pluck or grab - lock, when I make contact his body flows with the punch and ends up not absorbing much of the power at all.

7sm

OP
T

theneuhauser

what types of practice do you normally do? (and its ok to say forms in the cma forum).

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

what types of practice do you normally do? (and its ok to say forms in the cma forum).

LOL, yes I do forms, in fact I have a whole days for only forms! I go over every form I know. However, most of my training involves running at the begining, then go through a general workout/warmup (streching, pushups, abs, pull ups, horse stance, ect). Then I mainly do Sticky Hands, China Na, then some iron conditioning. I don't do sticky hands every day, but as much as possible. They days I don't get to, I do heavy stance training, like holding stances, changing stances up and down the room, tension sets al la Hung Gar.

That said let me also say that this is my set workout, don't for a second believe I'm perfect adn do this every single day without fail, sometimes I'll get to school, and we will just play hackey sack for an hour then I have to rush through my workout :D But I keep trying to convince sifu that hackey sack can improve your kung fu!!:D

7sm

OP
T

theneuhauser

how are the classes run? do you have a usual structure for how the time is used?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

how are the classes run? do you have a usual structure for how the time is used?

In class is a little different, our advanced classes are just an hour and a half so its not so much workout as getting techniques down to train on yoru own later. There is not really a set structure for the class except for the first 30 min are used for stretching and horse stance. Then we normally will go over applications to differnet techniques, alot of partner training on applications. Alot of partner plucking drills and such, alot of sticky hands as well. Then every couple of classes we will spend it working on forms. So the normal class is stretching/stance, then drills, then forms.

I know that most PM schools differ quite a bit in their class curiculum, but I really enjoy our classes. They are structured very well to allow me to learn and grow.

7sm

OP
S

Skarbromantis

7star, what type of iron conditioning are you working on?

I do iron arm ,(forearm), and start the iron palm in Nov.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skarbromantis

7star, what type of iron conditioning are you working on?

I do iron arm ,(forearm), and start the iron palm in Nov.

I'm doing iron arm and iron shin right now, I haven't started iron palm at least not traditionally, we don't spend alot of time on iron palm. How do you guys do your iron palm training?

7sm

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man this thread kinda died.
Anyone here practice sticky hands in their normal training methods? We do sticky hands in our advanced classes about twice a week, then alot of us get together at the school on saturdays to practice sticky hands. I love it, I learn so much regardless of how long I've been training with it. Everytime I practice in it, it seems that I learn something else!
Anyone else have this experience?

7sm

OP
S

Skarbromantis

The Iron Palm is the Shaolin way, bag filled with beans, then rocks , then steal shot, droping your hand with the 5 strikes, 100
days, to obtain, 1000 days to keep.

I love sticky hand drills, any thing that deals with touch, you can learn alot from just playing around with it, we dont do it in class but i do it with my step son every night.

Skard1

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Skarbromantis, you guys use Jow in your iron palm or any iron body training?
How often do you train in forms, say like how long in between learning one form do you start to learn another?

7sm

OP
S

Skarbromantis

Yes I use the Hong Kong, jow called Buddist Masters Recpie, Its the best that I have found If you need some, let me know, I can hook it up, half of the jows out in the market , are garbage, most are in plastic bottles, and dont list the herbs that are in the bottle, what do you use?

We train 1 form a month, every month, 12 months, 12 forms, 24 months, 24 forms, broken down in 4 parts, plus applications, every week.

Skard1

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yes I use the Hong Kong, jow called Buddist Masters Recpie, Its the best that I have found If you need some, let me know, I can hook it up, half of the jows out in the market , are garbage, most are in plastic bottles, and dont list the herbs that are in the bottle, what do you use?

We train 1 form a month, every month, 12 months, 12 forms, 24 months, 24 forms, broken down in 4 parts, plus applications, every week.

Skard1

Man could I ever use some jow!! Or at least a recipie, I've been out for a while and I don't want to spend so much money on the junk they are selling out there. Everytime someone in our school goes to New York we all stock up on jow, but I ran out and have been "bumming" from my friend. I don't know the exact name of ours, somethign along the lines of Masters Jow or something? Maybe close to the same as yours.
Sounds like pretty good form training, one a month is a good pase, at least for me. I've had to learn alot the past month simply for a demo, but I like taking my sweet time with them. I'm testing in December and I haven't tried any new forms sinceAugust, I want these to be "perfect" for my "test".

7sm

OP
S

Skarbromantis

Mine is in a glass bottle with a cork, and red cap, orange label, is that the same one, you get?

Skard1

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Mine is in a glass bottle with a cork, and red cap, orange label, is that the same one, you get?

Skard1

Yeah that sounds like what I use. If you do have a hook up for it, I would love to get me some.

7sm

OP
S

Skarbromantis

That jow is very hard to find, I have bottles for 20$ including shipping, if you need let me know.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That jow is very hard to find, I have bottles for 20$ including shipping, if you need let me know.

Yes it is quite hard to find, that is why we stock up so much when we go to New York. Let me make sure no one is planning a trip and I'll pm you. Thanks

7sm

Latest Discussions