36 Hours straight through? Nuts!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, I'm in Austin TX. We drove straight through, 36 hours.
I LOVE! Caffeine!
:)

I have some rhetorical questions...

-Why does it seem that everyone in TX watched the Kamikaze Training rather than Drivers Ed? That flashing thing on the edges of my car is a "Directional Blinker Indicator". It's used to indicate which direction I will be moving in. Please learn to use yours while flying through the construction zone that is I35 at 95 MPH. I am amused that driving through Toronto and even Atlanta now seems 'sane'. LOL!
- I know know that it is possible to drive a car, talk on a cell phone (no hands free kit) and eat something while driving a convertible at over 85 mph, as demonstrated by the chick (I think) who flew past us outside Waco.
- I35 between Dallas and Austin 330pm-6pm = parking lot/kamikaze training area. My sphincter hurts. ;)
- Off ramps seem like Car Crash Prep. I mean, a truck length before the yield signs when the posted limit is 70mph?
- Was it really necessary for the trucker in KY to try to rest his bumper on ours for 10 minutes?
- 6 lanes, hurry up and get all the way left, ok, now hurry up and get 6 lanes to the right. Louisville is nutz. LOL
- Is the guy in Arkansas who cleans the rest-stops out sick this week? Who had the poo fight before we got there? I've never seen fresh crap and old crap used as ceiling stukko before. We hit 3 stops, all easily the most disgusting stops I ever seen.
- I loved the decor at the Ark. rest stops. Lots of metal toilets, sinks and urinals. Looked like a shop class project, really.

On the plus side, we now know that a Scion XB with the little rice burner engine can in fact push a car at Ludicrous Speed. :D

So, I know we planned on looking a lot of folks up, but Susan and her mom's planned out a lot of house hunting. Terry, don't think we're getting to Dallas this trip. We're leaving a day earlier and looking for a non-I35 route back to NY. I'm trying to avoid day travel north on that route if I can help it. Reminded me too much of Cleveland's morning crawl.

I'm rarely checking email right now, so best way to reach me is by phone.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the plus side, so far we're having fun. Getting oriented on what's where and how the roads work. We hit a couple manf. home places, found a couple nice ones within our budget, and got some ideas on what we're going to have to do to get em. Had lunch at a place called Hea Café, and dinner at Joes Crab Shack. We're spending the evening in the jacuzzi in our room before heading to the Elgin (??) area tomorrow. Biggest complaint really was running into rush hour on an under construction I35 after 30+ hours on the road. Today (Sat), driving's been pretty much great, and the heat/humidity tolerable (for this NY fat boy) ;)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
- I know know that it is possible to drive a car, talk on a cell phone (no hands free kit) and eat something while driving a convertible at over 85 mph, as demonstrated by the chick (I think) who flew past us outside Waco.

I saw here sister in Michigan. She was on the phone and eating and smoking, while driving. I just turned to my friends and one of them said I do not want to know what she is using to steer with. :eek:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw here sister in Michigan. She was on the phone and eating and smoking, while driving. I just turned to my friends and one of them said I do not want to know what she is using to steer with. :eek:

You know Rich I have seen her here as well. (or at least someone looking like her) I have also witnessed several guy's doing the same thing. :erg:

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
You will never NOT hit horrendous traffic in Austin (at least in my experience).

After living in the DFW area, I thought I was accustomed to crazy drivers...until I moved to Missouri (compared to MO drivers, DFW drivers are sane, rational beings). Just be glad you didn't have to come through here, your "sphincter pucker" would have turned into cardiac-arrest. :D

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bob,

Have fun down there....Don't attempt to race any Armadillos with the Scion...I fear you will lose...:)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't want to get me started...

For that matter, you don't want to get me started on hitting congested areas with lots of construction after a long trip... Done that more than once. (Even more fun... driving west into the sunset in an area under construction during rush hour with missing signs, no or confusing lane markings, and nutjobs behind the wheels of other cars!)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Today was San Antonio. Had we known that the Gawds had scheduled a monsoon the same time, we would have spent it at the hotel in the tub. :) It was interesting to watch rivers of water flow down streets....not as much fun driving through them...I think it was higher than the door on the car some times. I35 from Austin to San Antonio wasn't bad though. Pretty smooth sailing, considering the zero visibility at times. Some poor trucker did a number on his rig around the 410 exit. His cab was hanging off the road. Ugly! Rain was a downer, so I didn't get anywhere near the photos I wanted, but we did hit the Zoo (most excellent), the RiverCenter Mall (nice place, 4+ stories of shops, and lots of hot gals in the Hooters. ;) ), and I finally got to visit the Alamo, though the rain was back for most of that part unfortunately. So far, I have to say I'm liking San Antonio over Austin. Seemed saner, though both places are pretty friendly. Just the driving is nutz. Plus the roads around Austin confuse the hell out of me. Thank TomTom for GPS. :)

Oh, and I saw a couple of Armadillos that lost their stand offs with cars. :D

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How many miles in your 36 hours?
My dad did an insane 51 hours from Vero Beach Florida to Ventura CA about ten years ago. Coffee and Pall Malls... Sleep is for sissies...

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many miles in your 36 hours?
My dad did an insane 51 hours from Vero Beach Florida to Ventura CA about ten years ago. Coffee and Pall Malls... Sleep is for sissies...
Just shy of 1,600 I believe.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I drove from Sanger (22miles ESE of Fresno) CA to Big Sky Montana, we left at 4pm on Friday stopped about 3 am in Battle Mountain (love that name) Nevada and arrived in Big Sky about 8pm after a 4 hour sleep stop. With a 7 yr old in the back seat. Can I tell you how much of a good idea portable DVD players are??? The idea was that my uncle and I would split the driving. Somehow I made it to age 32 before I learned: Uncle Dave is NOT a good driver. So, I drove. 4200miles in 8 days. Crossing CA/NV/Idaho/Montana/Wyoming and back. Old Faithfull was hard to see in the snow (3d week of May) Jeans are NOT cold weather wear...

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I checked, and our week milage total was 3,557. I think I drive all but 200 of those. LOL.
On the way back, we did 17 hours, grabbed a hotel for some sleep and did the last 12 1/2 at a more relaxed pace. All in all, a good week. :) I've learned, I can't relax when someone else is driving the car. Now, I've got 3k emails to wade through. Pictures up later.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some shots. I used my spare pocket camera so the shots aren't quite to my usual style (the autofocus was a pita, lol).

Ohio Rest Stop
picture.php

San Antonio, Under Water (by the Zoo)
picture.php

The Alamo
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Latest Discussions