35 year old beginner in Austin, TX seeking school / instructor information

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by jstreet, Jun 23, 2006.

1. lll000000lll

lll000000lll Green Belt

www.austinmartialarts.com great teachers especially Tristan

2. Brother John

Brother John Senior Master

3. funnytiger

funnytiger Blue Belt

I know you've gotten a lot of replies thus far so anything I might have to say at this point might be moot. lol

I am no expert, but I have learned a lot in my kung fu training, and would like to help you out as much as I can with what knowledge I have.

I would just warn you to be careful of any kung fu school that claims to be simply "kung fu" or "shaolin kung fu". Kung fu is not a style it is a martial art that has hundreds of styles under its name.

With no disrespect to anyone who does Shaolin Do, I would stay as far away from them as you can. Shaolin Do has a pretty negative image in the kung fu community. Any school that claims to be kung fu and wears gi's is a bit fishy...

Any kung fu school that claims to be traditional, but holds a belt system is a bit fishy too. Not saying that a kung fu school can not adopt the belt system, but once it does, it is no longer a "traditional" school.

No matter what MA or style you choose I wish you all the luck. I applaude your efforts to find a good TEACHER as opposed to just a good school.

::salute::