20 Kids

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If we look at land, undeveloped land, well, is there really such a thing? I mean, seems like any undeveloped land nowadays, is quickly scooped up and new houses, condos, senior living, etc, are being built. What happens when there is no more undeveloped land for the ever increasing population?

Sadly we lose a lot of farmland to development these days.
Thankfully we are able to feed more people off less land these days, but we are also currently under drought conditions in large parts of the country, plus the artificially elevated need for corn in other than food applications (and China buying hay)

We might feel a backlash soon enough.

but hey, there has been an honest to goodness thought model released to return abandoned urban areas back into farmland...and in the case of Detroit, with an average house value of around $7500....not out of the realm of possibilities.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best thing about having so many kids is that if you hit hard times you can always eat a couple. :)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes , my wife always says she doesn't like kids , so I said "Well just leave them on the side of your plate and eat your vegetables".

Indagator

Blue Belt
Reaction score
20 is a lot of children, however as I come from an SSPX Traditional Catholic parish I am quite used to families having 12-14 children on average (of course some lower than that number and some higher). Heck, I myself have 5 brothers and two sisters - and that's what we consider a relatively small family...
Big families are beautiful. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
20 is a lot of children, however as I come from an SSPX Traditional Catholic parish I am quite used to families having 12-14 children on average (of course some lower than that number and some higher). Heck, I myself have 5 brothers and two sisters - and that's what we consider a relatively small family...
Big families are beautiful. :)

LOL, my husband is 1 of 5...one more disturbed than the other...
nah...not all big families are beautiful. Sometimes it's good when the contribution to the gene pool is limited!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wish more people would adopt this as a general rule.

-Rob

True.
BUT: If you choose to live your life on TV you make it everybody's business.
(After all, that dreck takes up the time the TV stations used to show good shows. and in that case actually educational stuff)

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not choose the same path as the Duggars, but I don't understand why you consider it nuts or a trainwreck for them to manage their family as they see fit. They aren't asking the government or anyone else for a handout. They aren't asking anyone else to be responsible for the care or welfare of their children. They seem to be doing a fairly good job of housing themselves.

Although Mrs. Duggar had a health issue with her last child, many women continue to have additional children after having one problem pregnancy. Again, none of us were required to chip in to cover either of their medical costs.

Regarding blaming God, I believe the sentiment expressed was thankfulness not blame.

I find it difficult to understand why the Duggars' family choices stir up such strong feelings in people who are basically unaffected by them. I know of several farm families in my area that have 11 or 12 children. Just because smaller families are currently the popular trend in most places doesn't make large ones inherently wrong.
I thing two of the basis hate responses come first from a general feeling that somehow these people are taking resources from others or the commentor personally? The second comes from internalized guilt from thier own inadiqaute ability to raise children themselves or the lack there of. I have been close to two families with 12 and 13 children and the home was run like a very organized day care with a commercial aproach to the laundry feeding and a constant hand me down succession in clothing but everyone was cared for and loved I am amazed and the capacity to do it all. They also worked as a family on gathering and processing natural foods during the growing season. My experience is that all the large families I am involved with have a strong faith base for what they are doing.

Latest Discussions